ADVERTISEMENT

What if Floyd is our next Haskins

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Maybe Floyd is here for the long haul? I'm sure Haskins also had some bad years.I've heard that 70s were bad for Haskins.

By his sixth year Haskins had already made four NCAA tournaments three times advanced past the first round and made the NIT. He also had this little thing called a national championship.

Yeah I know but I've heard in the 70s Haskins had bad years and people wanted him fired. But I'm not saying Floyd is gonna win a title or be as good . But Floyd is gonna be here 30 years like haskins.

Yeah I know but I've heard in the 70s Haskins had bad years and people wanted him fired. But I'm not saying Floyd is gonna win a title or be as good . But Floyd is gonna be here 30 years like haskins.

So Floyd is going to coach at UTEP until he's 85?

Isn't that what we want? Or do we just want a revolving door where coaches come and go?

I've said it a million times there were times through the haskin years in the 70s that are worse than now and the people were patient and that led to the 80s which was some of uteps best basketball..... if we had fired Haskins we would have never seen it..... but people don't listen to that at all...

I've said it a million times there were times through the haskin years in the 70s that are worse than now and the people were patient and that led to the 80s which was some of uteps best basketball..... if we had fired Haskins we would have never seen it..... but people don't listen to that at all...

The main point you are missing is Haskins accomplished so much in the 60's that he was excused for 3 losing seasons in the 70's. Besides the 3 losing seasons in the 70's, UTEP finished 2nd place five times and 5th place two times. Besides the team with Barbee's players, Floyd only finished second one time

Floyd has won zero postseason games in 6 years, beat zero ranked teams (I think), losing and barely beating non D-1 teams, public spats with the media, public spats with other coaches, way too many transfers. Floyd does not deserve a pass.

Reactions: JCorona
He had a stretch in which he went 32-45. That's it, 3 bad years. Those 3 years were sandwiched by 2nd place finishes.

Reactions: UTEP05
He had a stretch in which he went 32-45. That's it, 3 bad years. Those 3 years were sandwiched by 2nd place finishes.
UTEP finished 2nd in 2010-11 and in 2014-15, NIT seasons both, with three "bad" years (including a 3rd-place finish in 2012-13) in between.

Until this season, Floyd's teams have not been terrible, and we have even seen some good moments (beating Xavier, winning that tournament over CSU last season, etc.). But we can't seem to get any momentum when there's always so much turnover from one year to the next.

Actually, the slow period lasted about 17 years under Haskins. If we call "slow" not making the dance.

1967–1968 UTEP 14–9
1968–1969 UTEP 16–9

UTEP (Western Athletic Conference) (1969–1999)
1969–1970 UTEP 17–8 10–4 1st
1970–1971 UTEP 16–10 9–5 T–2nd
1971–1972 UTEP 20–7 9–5 T–2nd NIT 1st Round
1972–1973 UTEP 16–10 6–8 5th
1973–1974 UTEP 18–7 8–6 5th
1974–1975 UTEP 20–6 10–4 2nd
1975–1976 UTEP 19–7 9–5 T–2nd
1976–1977 UTEP 11–15 3–11 8th
1977–1978 UTEP 10–15 2–12 8th
1978–1979 UTEP 11–15 3–9 T–5th
1979–1980 UTEP 20–8 10–4 T–2nd NIT 2nd Round
1980–1981 UTEP 18–12 9–7 4th NIT 2nd Round
1981–1982 UTEP 20–8 11–5 T–2nd
1982–1983 UTEP 19–10 11–5 T–1st NIT 1st Round

Maybe Floyd is here for the long haul? I'm sure Haskins also had some bad years.I've heard that 70s were bad for Haskins.
tumblr_nf5wb0V5ul1rd8w8ao1_400.gif

In the first half of the 70's, only 25 teams made the NCAA Tournament.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

The #1 Seed used to only need 2 wins to make the Final Four.

In the second half of the 70's, only 32 teams made the NCAA Tournament.

From a numbers standpoint, making the Tournament was much more difficult back then.

AND??? You guys are saying Floyd should be able to deal with the times!!! Well Haskins should have been able to deal with the times and make the NCAA tournament ......

Reactions: Cube Jack
In 14 years Haskins only hit 20 wins 4 times but I guess that's ok because it's not Floyd

You guys prolly should go rout for like UNC or Duke who never lose. Schools like Utep just don't have winning seasons year after year.Utep chances for the tourney was with washburn and them boys. They just couldn't pull it off. Now I think we are in the rebuilding part. We are in rebuilding year #2. You guys can't handle that and don't have the patience.

Now I think we are in the rebuilding part. We are in rebuilding year #2. You guys can't handle that and don't have the patience.

:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Why can NMSU go the Big Dance on a consistent basis and UTEP can't? And don't say because they're in the WAC.

Why can NMSU go the Big Dance on a consistent basis and UTEP can't? And don't say because they're in the WAC.

Because they have a GOOD Coach and because despite their conference affiliation and limitations their athletic director tries hard to bring the best out of it. When in UTEP's case is the complete opposite.

Because they have a GOOD Coach and because despite their conference affiliation and limitations their athletic director tries hard to bring the best out of it. When in UTEP's case is the complete opposite situation.

Finally somebody with a logical answer.

Yeah and they get bounced in the first day. When's last time NMSU won a NCAA game? C-USA has upset teams in the tourney the last 2 years.

Yeah and they get bounced in the first day. When's last time NMSU won a NCAA game? C-USA has upset teams in the tourney the last 2 years.

And your point is? They still got there.

A year after UTEP last won one.

What do other C-USA teams have to to with UTEP?

Point is c-USA is better conference. It's a thougher conference. Do you know how college basketball works? How old are you?

Point is c-USA is better conference. It's a thougher conference. Do you know how college basketball works? How old are you?

And your point is? UTEP couldn't win the WAC either.

And CUSA is not much better, if any better, than the WAC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT