ADVERTISEMENT

Which has been Uteps best back Court Duo

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Artis and Omega have been pretty good lately. To bad artis is senior already.

I don't really remember 80s and before. but from when I have been following utep. I think the best duo was Randy Culpepper and Christian Polk. They were great together.

You're not a UTEP fan if you have to ask this question. :p

The player's first name is the same as our head coach's first name so there's a clue. :D

like I said I didn't follow the 80s and early 90s I was a little young. I'm talking about from what I have seen.Thats why I say culpepper and polk. I didn't see Hardaway and Nate Archibald play.

but I'm asking DUO. PG and SG. Who was Timmys sidekick? Omega and Artis the numbers they are putting has to be up there with the greats. If it wasn't for the losing and slow start people might be taking about them being one of the best.

Pony and newbie freshman Jeep Jackson brought fire and ice. Pony was as cool as ice and Jeep was a fiery spark.

The most unheralded and under appreciated was not a duo but a nice trio when they were together: Prince, Rivera and Gym Bice.

Jeep and often forgotten Chris Blocker played well together. Blocker (who was more of a forward than guard actually) was a juco transfer and wasn't afraid to take the point when I saw him, but that didn't happen often since UTEP had Jeep, Hardaway and Stallworth. Blocker was very strong down low and I will never forget him stuffing the ball down low on Brad Lohaus of Iowa in 87. Lohaus was a 7' forward with great range and exceptional ball handling skills. Most people don't remember but in 87 Iowa ran a full court defensive press the entire game that year that was suffocating at times and made Iowa a dominant team. Haskins ran a text book press break that any youth team could run for the '87 second round match up. That was the genius of Haskins, simple fundamental defense, have the right personnel at the right position and simple game plan to execute. Anyways, between Jeep, Stallworth and Blocker, they broke that press every time.

I liked the backcourt duo of Jeep and Tim Hardaway. Both were short, but they could defend, and opposing guards certainly couldn't keep up with their quickness.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
My personal favorite that I've seen play live is Stone and Culpepper. If Stone had a little more scoring prowess we could have had some special teams.

Reactions: kappasigmaminer
Have to say Jackson, Hardaway. If you didn't see Hardaway play, it's difficult to know just how good he was. In retrospect, he was one of the top 3 players in college basketball from midway through his Junior year until he graduated. He was completely unstoppable.

My personal favorite that I've seen play live is Stone and Culpepper. If Stone had a little more scoring prowess we could have had some special teams.

Stone and Gio St. Amant will always have a place in my heart. I have never heard two young recruits so appreciative and grateful for their scholarship. Stone was on KROD the day of his signing and I swear he sounded like he won the lottery. Stone (& JWash) will be the best defensive players I have ever seen in a Miner uni.

When Mark McCall and Hardaway were on the floor together it was a show. I'll new forget the NCAA game in Tucson when Tim fed McCall on the break in the first few minutes of the game and Mark almost brought the rim down. That set the tone for a rout! T

I would go with Hardaway and Jackson as well; with Prince and Rivera a close second.

To put things in perspective a bit more, in my opinion, Hardaway as a sophomore was already a better player than Jeep Jackson as a senior. And that is saying ALOT, because Jeep was an outstanding player. The summer between Hardaway's freshman and sophomore years at UTEP, in which Hardaway mixed it up with the best guys from Chicago (including Isiah Thomas), provided the groundwork for his unbelievable development. Both Hardaway and Jackson were fierce defenders who absolutely hated to lose. They took on every matchup against other top guards as a personal challenge (see Gary Payton, Chris Jackson, Mouse MacFadden, etc.). Not once did they ever back down; and I can't say I ever saw Hardaway outplayed by anyone straight up after his sophomore year.

While Hardaway's NBA career was very solid, I do believe his knee issues curtailed what should have been a surefire Hall of Fame career. All this said, I do remember wondering at the time Hardaway had just finished his senior year, if he would make it in the NBA. As a student at the time, like many of the old timers on the board, I remember playing pickup games with the guys at Memorial gym. One thing I remember vividly was asking Lem Clanton what he thought about Hardaway's chances. I remember Clanton telling me, "He has no chance, if I can block his shot, then the guys from the NBA will tear him up." I told him he was probably right....Boy, were we both wrong about that kid.

Last edited:
The mid to late eighties had some awesome combinations...Pony-Lockhart, Jeep-Hardaway, Hardaway-take your pick. I loved the Eddie and Prince (Melvin) sweet 16 combination. I was partial to the Beto Bautista-Gus Bailey combo. And the Miners won the WAC in their 1st year with Nate Archibald-Ples Vann combo. But then, Archibald made everyone better, much like Hardaway. Fili Rivera and Chris Craig weren't too shabby, and of course Bobby Joe Hill-Orstin Artis (Worsley)...just and NCAA Championship, thats all.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yep. With a little help from Prince, who guarded Jackson almost the whole 40. That was his only duty that game and he more than held his own on the nations top scorer. Oh, the good ole days.!
Haskins game plan was to send a second player to double team Jackson and make him pick up his dribble then get back into the rotation. He was held almost scoreless the first half.

You really would have omega and artis that high already?
I think Artis is having a great season. He does it all for us. I think he's our leading rebounder, at least in conference. Omega is also playing well. with the emergence of Wilms, we've seen our play improve tremendously.
When Mark McCall and Hardaway were on the floor together it was a show. I'll new forget the NCAA game in Tucson when Tim fed McCall on the break in the first few minutes of the game and Mark almost brought the rim down. That set the tone for a rout! T
I saw Hardaway throw a 3/4 court ally-oop to McCall one time. If you never saw McCall jump, you really missed out. Imagine Randy Culpepper at 6'2"

I think Artis is having a great season. He does it all for us. I think he's our leading rebounder, at least in conference. Omega is also playing well. with the emergence of Wilms, we've seen our play improve tremendously.

I saw Hardaway throw a 3/4 court ally-oop to McCall one time. If you never saw McCall jump, you really missed out. Imagine Randy Culpepper at 6'2"

It basically how he became a Harlem Globe Trotter...his hops. He was fun to watch. Had a decent 3 ball as well.

I've played one on one with Antoine Gillespie when I was in high school. I don't remember who is side kick was.

Bobby Joe Hill/Willie Worsley won the NCAA Championship.
Eddie Rivera/Prince Stewart defeated Kansas and took us to the Sweet Sixteen.
Tim Hardaway/Prince Stewart owned Chris Jackson and his LSU Tigers.
Luster Goodwin/Jeep Jackson was a phenomenal duo.
Fili Rivera/Chris Craig were fun to watch too!
The best backcourt, in my opinion, was Jackson/Hardaway. The win in Tucson against a heavily favored Arizona, and then a down-to-the-wire back & forth contest against Iowa two days later...those guys worked great together. That 86-87 Miners team was very talented and fun to watch, because they played so well together. One man fed off the other, and Jeep Jackson was the "straw that stirred the drink".

Last edited:
Don't think I said they were the best. I delegate such mind provoking decisions up to you and your extremely knowledgeable data base. I know better than to express such an opinion with your constant scrutiny in effect.

Don't think I said they were the best. I delegate such mind provoking decisions up to you and your extremely knowledgeable data base. I know better than to express such an opinion with your constant scrutiny in effect.

Scrutiny? Come on now. Stop with the drama.

I would imagine everybody on this board knows about Stefon Jackson and Randy Culpepper since it wasn't that long ago. I just thought it was funny that you asked us all if we remember them.

Scrutiny? Come on now. Stop with the drama.

I would imagine everybody on this board knows about Stefon Jackson and Randy Culpepper since it wasn't that long ago. I just thought it was funny that you asked us all if we remember them.

It's pretty weird that they are the top 2 scorers in program history, they played together for 2 years, and yet it took almost 30 posts for someone to mention them. I imagine that's what 1liner was referring to.

It's pretty weird that they are the top 2 scorers in program history, they played together for 2 years, and yet it took almost 30 posts for someone to mention them. I imagine that's what 1liner was referring to.

Makes more sense now, I just thought it was funny that he asked if we remembered them. Sometimes things written on the Internet can be taken out of context.

Technically, Stefon played 3 and Randy played the 2. I always saw Stefon as more of a SF. Stone was the PG back then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT