ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't we be like NMSU...

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
They are consistently in the top 60 in the country (RPI and NET), good coaches, very low turnover, and NO DRAMA!!

They had a great season and nice runs.

Now, stop drinking the local (sports) media cool aid.

Reactions: Cube Jack
They're stuck in the WAC because no football conference wants them, so they're a football independent scheduling annual home-and-homes with Liberty. I wouldn't trade places with them. I am envious of their basketball success to a point, but as I pointed out in another thread, they have a 12-game NCAA tournament losing streak. They are the best team from a really bad conference.

Jans has got skeletons pushing on his closet door from the inside. He's a creep and an ass to his players. He is confrontational 24/7 and will be gone soon. The team plays for each other, not him.
I have never, ever seen a pee wee league, christian coach, AAU or whatever type of basketball coach promote the goodness of wanting to join the boy scouts, promote taking up the cross or much less hold a door open for a little old lady. There are some out there, but they are a dying breed like St Joe's Phil Martelli (who was canned in cold heart D1 business, but legal way, but was nothing bus a class act and a good soul from all reports).

Now when you say the "team plays for each other", that is serious. That takes energy, collusion among the players, and planning......and they made it to the NCAA's?

Why cant Utep be more like SMU or Houston??
Houston has definitely stepped it up, but SMU can't seem to maintain any momentum they had. Larry Brown built a team but also earned a postseason ban, another feather in SMU's cap for their sterling reputation. The first season after Brown's departure, his players carried SMU to one last NCAA Tournament, then the team fell into mediocrity, with a losing record this year. Their football team has been aggressively bad-to-mediocre for their entire tenure in the AAC, nothing to write home about. I don't see much to envy about SMU, and at lease we have our integrity.

Can't argue about Houston, though.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Houston has definitely stepped it up, but SMU can't seem to maintain any momentum they had. Larry Brown built a team but also earned a postseason ban, another feather in SMU's cap for their sterling reputation. The first season after Brown's departure, his players carried SMU to one last NCAA Tournament, then the team fell into mediocrity, with a losing record this year. Their football team has been aggressively bad-to-mediocre for their entire tenure in the AAC, nothing to write home about. I don't see much to envy about SMU, and at lease we have our integrity.

Can't argue about Houston, though.

SMU hasn't found the right fit. They are throwing as much money at coaches as Houston is. The Cougs did pass them football salary wise with Holgersen's hire. The ponies hires havent worked out. Chad Morris under achieved at SMU. He recruited very well but never got results his peak was 6-6. Arkansas hired him and that's already a disaster. Sonny Dykes was a very uninspired hire. They could have got a better coach. SMU hoops is a sleeping giant. I think basketball job wise it's a much better job than TCU. They'll figure it out and become a perennial power. I dont know how long they will be in the same conference, but those SMU and Houston hoops games will be very entertaining. The football games are usually very good. Being in a conference with Houston is good for SMU they wont let themselves fall far behind the cougars.

My one and only critique of Houston is that for the money they gave Holgersen I think they could have got Mike Leach out of Pulman. I think Leach would have loved to come back to Texas and stirred shit up. What hes done at Wazzu is incredible. They are in the middle of their best run ever. That's easily the hardest job in the Pac 12.

SMU hasn't found the right fit. They are throwing as much money at coaches as Houston is. The Cougs did pass them football salary wise with Holgersen's hire. The ponies hires havent worked out. Chad Morris under achieved at SMU. He recruited very well but never got results his peak was 6-6. Arkansas hired him and that's already a disaster. Sonny Dykes was a very uninspired hire. They could have got a better coach. SMU hoops is a sleeping giant. I think basketball job wise it's a much better job than TCU. They'll figure it out and become a perennial power. I dont know how long they will be in the same conference, but those SMU and Houston hoops games will be very entertaining. The football games are usually very good. Being in a conference with Houston is good for SMU they wont let themselves fall far behind the cougars.

My one and only critique of Houston is that for the money they gave Holgersen I think they could have got Mike Leach out of Pulman. I think Leach would have loved to come back to Texas and stirred shit up. What hes done at Wazzu is incredible. They are in the middle of their best run ever. That's easily the hardest job in the Pac 12.

I like the Pirate...a lot, but Holgo was always their man. He and Fertita are buds. Uncle Tilman pays the bills so he gets what he wants.

It almost happened before Applewhite got the job but DH had a son in HS at that time, a QB who will be at UH, and he decided not to uproot him at that point.

It was always gonna happen, though. Holgorsen never even sold his H-Town house from his first stint as a oc back in 08-09 ish.

NM State is making its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2015 and will be making its ninth appearance in program history. The Aggies won the Western Athletic Conference regular season titles in 2016 and 2017, but lost in the WAC Tournament both seasons. For NM State, it's happy to be back in the NCAA Tournament after coming up just short the past few seasons.

UTEP has zero NCAA appearances.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...oregon-ncaa-volleyball-tournament/2111597002/

I think it's the same reason why the Clippers are better than the Lakers and Nets are better than the Knicks. Better management.

The Clippers hired Jerry West, a guy with an amazing track record of personnel decisions. The Lakers hired Magic who thought shooting was overrated and you needed tough guys like Rondo and Stephenson.

The Nets basically hired like 10 ex Spurs to run their franchise and their better now. The Knicks keep hiring "splashy" guys who were successful a long time ago.

Basically, with Stull, UTEP was behind the times. Literally, the strategy became "let's do things like we did in the 80s". Hopefully, Senter is more comfortable with analytics and the modern approach to sports.

NM State is making its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2015 and will be making its ninth appearance in program history. The Aggies won the Western Athletic Conference regular season titles in 2016 and 2017, but lost in the WAC Tournament both seasons. For NM State, it's happy to be back in the NCAA Tournament after coming up just short the past few seasons.

UTEP has zero NCAA appearances.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...oregon-ncaa-volleyball-tournament/2111597002/
giphy.gif

I think it's the same reason why the Clippers are better than the Lakers and Nets are better than the Knicks. Better management.

The Clippers hired Jerry West, a guy with an amazing track record of personnel decisions. The Lakers hired Magic who thought shooting was overrated and you needed tough guys like Rondo and Stephenson.

The Nets basically hired like 10 ex Spurs to run their franchise and their better now. The Knicks keep hiring "splashy" guys who were successful a long time ago.

Basically, with Stull, UTEP was behind the times. Literally, the strategy became "let's do things like we did in the 80s". Hopefully, Senter is more comfortable with analytics and the modern approach to sports.

Totally unrelated to UTEP but The Lakers and Magic think that because they’re The Lakers everyone will come and play for them. And LeBron is trying to make personel moves like he was in Cleveland and he wrecked the team chemistry.

Reactions: minermx07

Not UTEP related, but we're talking about the same Clippers whose owner was disgraced and banned for life from the NBA for racism? Also to date has never reached the conference finals?

Not UTEP related, but we're talking about the same Clippers whose owner was disgraced and banned for life from the NBA for racism? Also to date has never reached the conference finals?
Ugh. We're talking recently. We're not giving credit to the past here. If we did, then we'd be saying UTEP is doing better than NMSU because they've arguably had more success historrically.

This year, the Clippers are going to the playoffs and the Lakers are not. The last 7 years the Clippers have had a better record than the Lakers. Their record head to head RECENTLY is absurdly in the Clippers favor.

The point I was trying to make was the Lakers SHOULD be better than the Clippers, but they haven't been lately. UTEP SHOULD be better than NMSU, but they haven't been lately.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
They are consistently in the top 60 in the country (RPI and NET), good coaches, very low turnover, and NO DRAMA!!
We can be like them, all we need to do is drop down to the Sun Belt Conference. 20 plus wins, Conference Championships, and 1st round loses in the NCAA Tourney will happen right away. They are just fortunate that they didn't have an egomaniac , washed up coach dismantle their program for 8 years and an AD that just watched it happen and did nothing because he was in the top 3 in CUSA attendance:rolleyes:. We need to aim higher, much higher.

Ugh. We're talking recently. We're not giving credit to the past here. If we did, then we'd be saying UTEP is doing better than NMSU because they've arguably had more success historrically.

This year, the Clippers are going to the playoffs and the Lakers are not. The last 7 years the Clippers have had a better record than the Lakers. Their record head to head RECENTLY is absurdly in the Clippers favor.

The point I was trying to make was the Lakers SHOULD be better than the Clippers, but they haven't been lately. UTEP SHOULD be better than NMSU, but they haven't been lately.

I'll say this for the Clippers, at least they get eliminated in the second round unlike NMSU

Reactions: FeralFelidae

Everyone in CUSA says the grass is full of dog pee stains and new turf is needed.

Got rid of the cancer before it could spread. Will be interesting what type of coach NMSU can get.
Before it could spread?!? The brawl with no repercussions happened in October. The shooting in December. The hazing has apparently gone on since summer but went public in February. The team canceled games before conference play then canned its entire season in February after going 9-15 and sinking like a stone.

That's the equivalent of removing a tumor AFTER the patient died.

They’re dealing with a real dumpster fire out there.
Losing, lack of player control, grad rates low, revenue down and boosters upset. That’s a dumpster fire. That is UTEP at times.

NMSU athletics is looking at organized, complicit and criminal liability.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Yet, NMSU went to a bowl game and won in their coach’s first year and their worst basketball coach of all time, was still able to beat UTEP once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT