ADVERTISEMENT

Winn's reason for leaving

Just as many of us thought Floyd is a Pompous A Hole and that's why there's been so much turnover year in and year out, no on wants to play for this man it seems. Whenever he gets a good player, they want to be out. Randy Culpepper told me one time, that Floyd is a hard man to work for or play for.

Reactions: UTEP05
I don't think anyone would advocate that Floyd or any coach coddle their star players. Nor do I think anyone would have a problem if he was both stern but fair.

Apparently there is a lack of communication going on here. You just don't send a player home for no reason. Maybe Winn should look in the mirror and see where he could have handled the situation better. It's easy to point fingers and run away. It takes a man of character to face a challenge and succeed. Just remember why you came to UTEP in the first place. If you think things will be better somewhere else you are probably going to find out that it wasn't as bad as you thought. Coaches yell, Coaches Cuss, Coaches can tear you down to your soul. There is a method for all of this madness. You may not understand it right now, but as you mature into adulthood you will get the picture. Why give up a year of eligibility to try to make a point to the coaches? Hope you can stay and work things out. If not I wish you the best. Be sure to think with your head and don't make decisions based on emotion or false pride.

I can understand that pride can get in the way of these young kids decisions to transfer. I would put it more on Winn if he was the first player to transfer from UTEP but since he is not and this is a continuing trend since Floyd step foot here at UTEP. There comes a time that Floyd needs to realize his old school ways don't work with this new generation. Either change your ways or call it a career. Floyd's tenure here at UTEP has been a huge failure, I never saw this coming when he was hired. I could not be more disappointed in seeing what this program has become under Floyd's watch.

GO MINERS!

Floyd desperately needs to step up and face reality. From the fan and outsider point of view this whole debacle is on "his" shoulders; not Winn's. If he hopes for any success not only this year but in future years he had better suck it up and tell the truth and nothing but the truth NOW!!!. This incident will have consequences with Wins and Losses, plus catastrophic drops in attendance plus it could easily cause recruits to back off and crush the moral of what's left of the dwindling team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Floyd desperately needs to step up and face reality. From the fan and outsider point of view this whole debacle is on "his" shoulders; not Winn's. If he hopes for any success not only this year but in future years he had better suck it up and tell the truth and nothing but the truth NOW!!!. This incident will have consequences with Wins and Losses, plus catastrophic drops in attendance plus it could easily cause recruits to back off and crush the moral of what's left of the dwindling team.

Too late -- die is cast.

I can understand that pride can get in the way of these young kids decisions to transfer. I would put it more on Winn if he was the first player to transfer from UTEP but since he is not and this is a continuing trend since Floyd step foot here at UTEP. There comes a time that Floyd needs to realize his old school ways don't work with this new generation. Either change your ways or call it a career. Floyd's tenure here at UTEP has been a huge failure, I never saw this coming when he was hired. I could not be more disappointed in seeing what this program has become under Floyd's watch.

GO MINERS!
The trend is not just UTEP thing or a Coach Floyd thing. The trend is a nation wide thing. Kids expect the coaches to kiss their a**. That kind of BS needs to stop. Why should a coach change to accommodate a player? Do you think Coach K or any other successful coach is changing how he coaches for a player? Hell no. The player needs to change to accommodate the coaching he is receiving. This is called growing up! I also put some of the blame on the NCAA for allowing kids to transfer whenever they want. When a kid signs a letter of intent that should be for 4 years unless there is a coaching change prior to them getting on campus or some kind of NCAA infraction that prevents the university from participating in post season play. Otherwise they are committed to play at that University for those 4 years. I feel that by allowing a kid to leave anytime they want is setting up the "bigger schools" to pick and choose players after they have shown some ability to play at this level. The kids then come up with some BS reason to transfer. This may sound like paranoia but I believe this is going on. Yeah they sit out a year but does that really matter? After listening to Terry Winn's reasons for leaving I am happy that he is gone. Terry Winn and his over sensitive, self-serving, selfish and disrespectful attitude is exactly what's wrong with college athletics.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner661
The trend is not just UTEP thing or a Coach Floyd thing. The trend is a nation wide thing. Kids expect the coaches to kiss their a**. That kind of BS needs to stop. Why should a coach change to accommodate a player? Do you think Coach K or any other successful coach is changing how he coaches for a player? Hell no. The player needs to change to accommodate the coaching he is receiving. This is called growing up! I also put some of the blame on the NCAA for allowing kids to transfer whenever they want. When a kid signs a letter of intent that should be for 4 years unless there is a coaching change prior to them getting on campus or some kind of NCAA infraction that prevents the university from participating in post season play. Otherwise they are committed to play at that University for those 4 years. I feel that by allowing a kid to leave anytime they want is setting up the "bigger schools" to pick and choose players after they have shown some ability to play at this level. The kids then come up with some BS reason to transfer. This may sound like paranoia but I believe this is going on. Yeah they sit out a year but does that really matter? After listening to Terry Winn's reasons for leaving I am happy that he is gone. Terry Winn and his over sensitive, self-serving, selfish and disrespectful attitude is exactly what's wrong with college athletics.

Is that you, Tim?

The right approach is an iron hand in a velvet glove. It's a delicate balance. Floyd clearly doesn't have the right touch to attract, retain and motivate top players.

Players having to sit out one year is enough of a disincentive to transfer. As amateurs, they should have the right to transfer.

I won't defend Floyd since I think he should have been dismissed a couple of years ago for lack of accomplishment but Winn's story gives a hint of why Floyd reacted so much. Winn says he smiles when Floyd was yelling and that he just didn't want to argue. Well maybe the truth is that he was basically dismissing the coaching and laughing at the situation. Probably not a lot of coaches would put up with that. Floyd has proven he can be overly angry and even paranoid too so he is not someone UTEP can keep much longer. Winn was a very good player and I hate to seem him leave but I think he was probably thinking more of himself than his team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Is that you, Tim?

The right approach is an iron hand in a velvet glove. It's a delicate balance. Floyd clearly doesn't have the right touch to attract, retain and motivate top players.

Players having to sit out one year is enough of a disincentive to transfer. As amateurs, they should have the right to transfer.
Interesting that you feel anyone who does not share your view is Coach Floyd. You are probably Terry Winn......

Winn says he smiles when Floyd was yelling and that he just didn't want to argue. Well maybe the truth is that he was basically dismissing the coaching and laughing at the situation.

Winn was doing the right thing.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-21819/6-signs-youre-arguing-with-a-psychopath.html

There’s only one way out of these arguments. You need to disengage!

Arguments with psychopaths leave you drained. You might spend hours, even days, obsessing over the argument. If you think you have the perfect response to their latest outrageous comment, they planted it there on purpose. They’re tryingto provoke you. They’re trying to draw you in.

In professional environments, they want you to blow up so that coworkers and superiors see you as unstable. In romantic settings, they want you to lash out so that they can use your “hysterical” reactions to show potential partners and exes how crazy you’ve become. Until we understand this, we’ll continue to fall into their trap.

So next time someone you're arguing with uses these tactics to draw you in, try a different strategy: simply smile, nod, and go live your life.

They don’t deserve another second of your time.

So you think Mr. Escalante would allow a disruptive student to stay in his class and interfere with the others who want to learn? Mr. Escalante is a great teacher but not sure it's the same thing as coaching at the college level.

Last edited:
Winn was doing the right thing.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-21819/6-signs-youre-arguing-with-a-psychopath.html

There’s only one way out of these arguments. You need to disengage!

Arguments with psychopaths leave you drained. You might spend hours, even days, obsessing over the argument. If you think you have the perfect response to their latest outrageous comment, they planted it there on purpose. They’re tryingto provoke you. They’re trying to draw you in.

In professional environments, they want you to blow up so that coworkers and superiors see you as unstable. In romantic settings, they want you to lash out so that they can use your “hysterical” reactions to show potential partners and exes how crazy you’ve become. Until we understand this, we’ll continue to fall into their trap.

So next time someone you're arguing with uses these tactics to draw you in, try a different strategy: simply smile, nod, and go live your life.

They don’t deserve another second of your time.
Exactly......

Really Jaime Escalante.....His style never changed he has always taught they way he does. So you think he would allow a disruptive student to stay in his class and interfere with the other who want to learn? Nope try again...

If you watched the movie you would know he adapted to his students. The other teachers didn't get through and he used different techniques for the students. He motivated them and really for through to them.

No, but I like(d) Terry as a player. If I were his coach, I would have tried to form a relationship with him, and then use that relationship as a lever to get the most of his potential.
Hey I liked Terry as well. I think that both he and Coach Floyd could have done more to make this work. Ultimately UTEP and the fans lose. However, Terry needs to understand that there are going to be obstacles in life and running away from them is not the way to go. Unihorn I respect your opinion as well as everyone's on this forum. I just feel strongly about this situation because I see this role reversal going on in our society. It seems some Kids don't respect authority anymore. Coaching a team requires the players to be disciplined in everything they do, whether it is the classroom, court, or football field. These kids represent the university everyday so the coach needs to maintain a firm hold on them. As a parent to 6 kids I trust that their coaches keep them in line when they are under their control. I believe that is what all parents would want especially when their children are many miles away from home. Coaching is much more than X's and O's.

When a kid signs a letter of intent that should be for 4 years unless there is a coaching change
Well, the schools don't commit to a player for 4 years either(CTF get's rid of players all the time)so I think the system is flawed but not in the student-althletes favor. I'm ok with a player wanting to transfer to whichever school he want's, they are not the property of the school because they sign a letter of intent. Just as the school isn't on the hook for four years of paid tuition if it can get rid of any player they choose, simply for finding a better player. You think that's fair?

Just as the school isn't on the hook for four years of paid tuition if it can get rid of any player they choose, simply for finding a better player.
Is that true? As a recent example, Northwestern and coach Chris Collins essentially took Vassar off the team (not participating in practice) and tried to "encourage" him to transfer, but he wouldn't do it. So they continued to pay his tuition and, I think, were able to free up his scholarship.

In these situations I think schools will make things hard for the kid and try to pressure him to transfer but, if he doesn't, are they still bound to pay his way? Or did Northwestern just do this out of kindness? I suspect there's some sort of protection for the student.

Is that true? As a recent example, Northwestern and coach Chris Collins essentially took Vassar off the team (not participating in practice) and tried to "encourage" him to transfer, but he wouldn't do it. So they continued to pay his tuition and, I think, were able to free up his scholarship.

In these situations I think schools will make things hard for the kid and try to pressure him to transfer but, if he doesn't, are they still bound to pay his way? Or did Northwestern just do this out of kindness? I suspect there's some sort of protection for the student.

Scholarship are renewable on an annual basis...year to year.

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
Scholarship are renewable on an annual basis...year to year.
With no strings attached? If a player is participating in team activities, maintaining academic requirements, and is not violating any team rules, can a school just yank his scholarship? I'm not so sure about that. I think there might need to be cause.

The player signs up to play for four years and I would guess the school has responsibilities to honor that.

With no strings attached? If a player is participating in team activities, maintaining academic requirements, and is not violating any team rules, can a school just yank his scholarship? I'm not so sure about that. I think there might need to be cause.

The player signs up to play for four years and I would guess the school has responsibilities to honor that.

That may be true in theory, however that's not the way it works. Every athlete signs his/her financial agreement papers at a certain time (June for most football players...with exception of mid year transfers or early HS graduates) and is guaranteed one full year of financial aid. Then as the year comes up, players sign another one year agreement...and so on.

Most programs will honor the agreement for the full 4 years because they don't want their reputation tarnished, but make no mistake, schollies are legally binding only for a year.

Reactions: UTEP05 and develman
Most programs will honor the agreement for the full 4 years because they don't want their reputation tarnished, but make no mistake, schollies are legally binding only for a year.
So if a school chooses not to renew the scholarship, does that player still have to sit out a year to transfer to another D-I school?

So if a school chooses not to renew the scholarship, does that player still have to sit out a year to transfer to another D-I school?

I believe so. The NCAA is full of regulation that is not intended to benefit the student athlete, but rather it is in place to perpetuate and increase its own power and to reap the benefit of money made through college athletics that it regulates, to the fullest extent possible.

Perhaps in those circumstances the student may be able to regain that year of eligibility being that the institution chose not to renew. He/she still has to sit the one year out, though.

Reactions: develman

I have to agree. When they commit to play for a University they should be held
accountable. The Universities spend a lot of money on the recruits and they lose
on signing another recruit. We have to teach this kids that when you give your
word they should stick to it.

Go Miners...

I would say it has to start with the coach then. When he agrees to coach for certain amount of years he should be held accountable to it. No leaving early for a P5 job and no getting fired for underperforming. These adults have to stick to their signature.

Reactions: UTEP05 and develman
Remember when you sign a letter of intent you are signing to play for the University not the coach. I know that doesn't sound realistic but that should be stipulated in the letter of intent. Now if the coach leaves before the recruit enrolls in school then he should be allowed to transfer without question.

I believe so. The NCAA is full of regulation that is not intended to benefit the student athlete, but rather it is in place to perpetuate and increase its own power and to reap the benefit of money made through college athletics that it regulates, to the fullest extent possible.

Perhaps in those circumstances the student may be able to regain that year of eligibility being that the institution chose not to renew. He/she still has to sit the one year out, though.

Standard scholarships do appear to be renewed on an annual basis, but schools and students may also enter into multi-year scholarship agreements that are binding based on the terms of the agreement. How common are these multi-year scholarships? Which schools employ them? Does UTEP enter into multi-year scholarship agreements or are they all single-year renewals?

From http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa#schola:

"With multi-year scholarships now available for Division I schools, those colleges and universities have the option to offer athletics financial aid for more than one year. Such an agreement requires the school to provide financial aid to the student-athlete in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement. However, the agreement does not bind the student-athlete to the institution any more than the current transfer rules – he or she may transfer during the term of the award."

Interesting that the tables are turned in these multi-year scholarships; the student is not restricted from transferring.

Reactions: DaMinerMan
Standard scholarships do appear to be renewed on an annual basis, but schools and students may also enter into multi-year scholarship agreements that are binding based on the terms of the agreement. How common are these multi-year scholarships? Which schools employ them? Does UTEP enter into multi-year scholarship agreements or are they all single-year renewals?

From http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa#schola:

"With multi-year scholarships now available for Division I schools, those colleges and universities have the option to offer athletics financial aid for more than one year. Such an agreement requires the school to provide financial aid to the student-athlete in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement. However, the agreement does not bind the student-athlete to the institution any more than the current transfer rules – he or she may transfer during the term of the award."

Interesting that the tables are turned in these multi-year scholarships; the student is not restricted from transferring.
I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure 9 times out of 10 Mens BB and FBS football are year to year. How do you think CTF can run off so many players?

I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure 9 times out of 10 Mens BB and FBS football are year to year. How do you think CTF can run off so many players?

I've heard of such a thing but I have yet to hear of anyone getting a 4 year scholarship, with the exception of several young men who have had career ending injuries. UH honored one of my son's teammate's scholly who suffered some kind of spinal column injury as a Freshman and the docs said he should never attempt to play again. His education is guaranteed paid for for the next three years.

Reactions: develman
Thanks for the information. Let them transfer if they like but keep them from playing at another school for 2 years! Something needs to be done about the transfer circus that exists. I agree that student-athletes are not owned by the school they signed with but the schools that recruit and sign these kids lose out financially when they transfer. It also creates problems for the schools who based their recruiting on that commitment. I don't agree with scholarships being renewed yearly. If you miss on a kid from a talent stand point, it's not right to pull his or her scholarship. If the kid is a discipline problem or is not attending class then I can see taking their scholarship under those circumstances. If we want a commitment from the kids, the schools need to make that same commitment.

Reactions: miner1liner
How badly do you have to want out to go from UTEP to UTRGV? Crikey...

What are the chances it was Floyd or Johnson who found him the opportunity there? Thought they had helped some of the guys who couldn't make it at UTEP land elsewhere in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT