ADVERTISEMENT

Winn's reason for leaving

Man there are some delusional people on this board Terry Winn was texting trying to get meal money/fed and they wouldn't answer him and now you think they found him a place to land???? Wow.
That's excactly what i would want to intrust my kid to a coach that would humiliate him and send him home from a highlight trip and then when he's back and on his own ignore him and let him starve. Nice

Delusional, no. Just asking a question. we'll never know the whole story of what really went down between Floyd and Winn or the rest of the staff so someone may have helped him out. I seriously doubt that UTRGV was at the top of his list.

Delusional, no. Just asking a question. we'll never know the whole story of what really went down between Floyd and Winn or the rest of the staff so someone may have helped him out. I seriously doubt that UTRGV was at the top of his list.
According to twitter he played for one of the current UTRGV assistants at Westwind Prep in Arizona. I don't think Floyd or the staff helped him. He was recruited by Jai Stedman there.

Reactions: UTEP05
Possible that if winn was already unhappy he was looking for an out and already knew where to go. Especially with his former coach already at utrgv. Maybe the former coach encouraged him to leave as well.

Reactions: UTEP05
Possible that if winn was already unhappy he was looking for an out and already knew where to go. Especially with his former coach already at utrgv. Maybe the former coach encouraged him to leave as well.

Maybe. But why would he have gone out of his way to set the record straight if that was the case? Seems to me like he would've tucked tail and gone quietly into the night without drawing more attention to himself. Doesn't strike me as the vindictive type. I don't know.

Reactions: develman
I really thought Winn was good enough to land at a more prestigious basketball school. Is he not quite as good as he/we thought and so not in demand?

Reactions: dandaminerman
I found it funny how Floyd was playing real nice with the media in the beginning, but as soon as the "tough" questions continued we saw his temper start to come out. It didn't take much.

I'd imagine that same temper rears its ugly head when a player isn't conducting himself in the exact manner that Floyd expects. I know these kids need to be held to a higher standard, but you can't demoralize and remove all the fun out of the game from a kid and expect to get results. As many have said, it's a balance.... and I think the scales of CTF's balance only tip one way. ...

If you watched the movie you would know he adapted to his students. The other teachers didn't get through and he used different techniques for the students. He motivated them and really for through to them.
That's Hollywood.....WTF?

latest

Reactions: El Paso 777
I'll go out on a limb and say UTEP will have a better season this year and next year... and wonder if Winn will even make it to graduation still with UTRGV.

Why would you wonder about that? Winn and UTRGV play at Georgia Tech, SMU, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma St. What power conference teams would he be playing at this year with UTEP? He also gets to play in Kansas City, Chicago, Seattle, and Phoenix for conference road trips. His conference
tourney is in Las Vegas and plays in a conference with 7 other teams.

This year UTEP plays at USM, LaTech, UAB, MTSU, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Rice and UNT. And the conference has 13 other teams and plays their tourney in Frisco, TX. What schedule would a college kid rather have? Both a 1 bid leagues. UTRGV has an easier path to an upset win than UTEP does come March.

UTEP will probably have more wins, but the end result would be the same. Terry will be watching the NCAA Tournament from his couch.

I liked Terry as a player. Why did he leave again? Sure as hell couldn’t have been a lack of playing time.

Why would you wonder about that? Winn and UTRGV play at Georgia Tech, SMU, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma St. What power conference teams would he be playing at this year with UTEP? He also gets to play in Kansas City, Chicago, Seattle, and Phoenix for conference road trips. His conference
tourney is in Las Vegas and plays in a conference with 7 other teams.

This year UTEP plays at USM, LaTech, UAB, MTSU, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Rice and UNT. And the conference has 13 other teams and plays their tourney in Frisco, TX. What schedule would a college kid rather have? Both a 1 bid leagues. UTRGV has an easier path to an upset win than UTEP does come March.

UTEP will probably have more wins, but the end result would be the same. Terry will be watching the NCAA Tournament from his couch.
And why do you think UGRTV gets to play all those Power 5 teams? Its because those teams are using them to build their NCAA resume..I would love UTEP to play more power 5 teams (even on the road) but we need some reciprocation.

I know why they play, but that is not Winns doing. Simply asking what would a college kid rather be doing, playing at P5 schools or beating up on trash Like UIW, Howard, and Louisiana College?

UTEP does not need reciprocation. Why does UTEP deserve a home and home vs Gonzaga or Wichita St or Northwesten, but will not reciprocate on their own. Does UTEP play home and homes with UIW, Stephen F Austin, and Arkansas Pine Bluff? No they don't.

Don't you think it's hypocritical to expect highly regarded teams to do home and homes, but don't expect UTEP to do that with smaller schools?

I know why they play, but that is not Winns doing. Simply asking what would a college kid rather be doing, playing at P5 schools or beating up on trash Like UIW, Howard, and Louisiana College?

UTEP does not need reciprocation. Why does UTEP deserve a home and home vs Gonzaga or Wichita St or Northwesten, but will not reciprocate on their own. Does UTEP play home and homes with UIW, Stephen F Austin, and Arkansas Pine Bluff? No they don't.

Don't you think it's hypocritical to expect highly regarded teams to do home and homes, but don't expect UTEP to do that with smaller schools?
Yeah I see what you saying but those 'smaller' schools have small budgets and have to play a lot of road games to survive. The bigger the team the better the pay, but they are likely to get road killed. In UTEP's instance, reciprocating say a 2 for 1, helps the miners get money and exposure while providing some good games for the home crowd. Problem is that neither team actually needs those games to survive so they dont agree because 1) Our RPI is too low and 2) We are still good enough to be them on our home court. How about scheduling some recipricating home games for the top 6 trams in CUSA and MW anually. Could we do something like that? Then get a few big road games to help recruiting, fan support and pre-conference resume.

I started a new thread about how I would like the pre-conference schedule to be..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT