ADVERTISEMENT

At least there's possibly some light at the end of the tunnel

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So I think we've all now accepted Floyd will be here next year unless he doesn't wanna be here. So screw it, I guess. This team is starting to gel all be it too late, but there may be a foundation for next year.
I think only 5 players from this year stay on with the new recruits next year. Fortunately they are the players that contribute most of our minutes and points this year, besides Artist whom we lose.
Omega Harris, Matt Willms, Paul Thomas, Jake Flaggert and Kelvin Jones and possibly Deon Barret. That's looking like an ok foundation and with Isaiah Osborne already on the team this year that adds some more experience. We'll see which of the new recruits actually make it on campus, but with that core getting better and gaining confidence, next year we should at least have a little hope going into the season.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
So I think we've all now accepted Floyd will be here next year unless he doesn't wanna be here. So screw it, I guess. This team is starting to gel all be it too late, but there may be a foundation for next year.
I think only 5 players from this year stay on with the new recruits next year. Fortunately they are the players that contribute most of our minutes and points this year, besides Artist whom we lose.
Omega Harris, Matt Willms, Paul Thomas, Jake Flaggert and Kelvin Jones and possibly Deon Barret. That's looking like an ok foundation and with Isaiah Osborne already on the team this year that adds some more experience. We'll see which of the new recruits actually make it on campus, but with that core getting better and gaining confidence, next year we should at least have a little hope going into the season.
The key is who makes it to campus and stays long enough to contribute. That really has always been the problem with Floyd, not his coaching ability. Hopefully things will improve in that regard. I doubt any of us will hold our breath though.

There's someone besides Osborne who's been on campus, but can't come up with a name. Help?

Next year is iffy, regardless. We have a few good players returning (hopefully), with some decent prospects coming in. The real issue is losing artis. He is the backbone of this team.

The other issue (at least for next year) is that we can't really expect these incoming freshmen to contribute a ton of meaningful minutes. unfortunately, we aren't Kentucky and don't recruit Jabari Parker type players who come in and contribute immediately. With the amount of recruits Floyd is trying to get we are going to have another brand new team next year and it's going to take awhile for all these young freshman to figure the game out

If we end up keeping the players we need then I'd say we're about two seasons away of seeing real Results

Next year is iffy, regardless. We have a few good players returning (hopefully), with some decent prospects coming in. The real issue is losing artis. He is the backbone of this team.

The other issue (at least for next year) is that we can't really expect these incoming freshmen to contribute a ton of meaningful minutes. unfortunately, we aren't Kentucky and don't recruit Jabari Parker type players who come in and contribute immediately. With the amount of recruits Floyd is trying to get we are going to have another brand new team next year and it's going to take awhile for all these young freshman to figure the game out

If we end up keeping the players we need then I'd say we're about two seasons away of seeing real Results

Yeah, a less experienced point guard probably loses a game like last night turning the ball over late under pressure. Who plays point next year?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I'm in complete shock how this same team had a 12 game losing streak with cupcakes on their schedule. I never saw this turn around coming.

GO MINERS!

Reactions: mikesarabia
Yeah, a less experienced point guard probably loses a game like last night turning the ball over late under pressure. Who plays point next year?
It appears the staff is rolling the dice with a couple of freshman PGs, Gilyard and Magee. Two completely different styles of PGs from Artis. On a side note, I would love to see us sign that big PF, Bruce Stevens out of the JC in Miss. He looks like a guy who could come in plug-and-play.

I'm concerned about Wilms. He's been here long enough that he will probably be able to graduate this year. He can transfer anywhere and be eligible immediately. I hope he's really happy here.

That's a toss-up. I have a feeling Floyd has been maintaining a lot of touchet's minutes so that he can at least run the team next year until the recruits catch up. It's pretty obvious that CTF has otherwise told trey to keep his shots in check, seeing as he rarely even attempts the open 3 anymore

Reactions: unihorn
I'm concerned about Wilms. He's been here long enough that he will probably be able to graduate this year. He can transfer anywhere and be eligible immediately. I hope he's really happy here.

Well, the staff has certainly been loyal to and patient with him.

Reactions: miner661
That's a toss-up. I have a feeling Floyd has been maintaining a lot of touchet's minutes so that he can at least run the team next year until the recruits catch up. It's pretty obvious that CTF has otherwise told trey to keep his shots in check, seeing as he rarely even attempts the open 3 anymore
If the choice comes down to choosing Touchet vs. Barrett, I would choose Barrett. That said, I don't think the staff would go in that direction. With the likelihood of bringing in 7-8 new guys, that type of decision will need to be made. Other than Omega, who is always a wildcard academically, I think the "core" 4-5 players will be back; including Willms who is already pursuing his graduate degree. Problem is, we really need Omega next year. While he is in no way a true PG, he could also play spot minutes there if the freshman struggle. I do hope that he handles his business in the off season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT