ADVERTISEMENT

Cahiem Brown: The Explanation

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
A story that's likely very familiar around these parts. It's lengthy, but the summary is:

-was recruited heavily by us
-was excited when he came, and was ready to play next year when he could be on scholarship
- was later told that his scholarship was going to be given to another athlete next year, who was expected to sign with us (Devante Doutrive?)
-can't afford to pay for school, so he had to leave. Talked about quitting basketball so he could be a father to his kid

Link to his full explanation on twitter

https://twitter.com/TheRealCahiemB

Reactions: mikesarabia
giphy.gif

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Stories like this have followed Tim Floyd around for a long time, including during his tenure here. Floyd has pulled scholarship offers, and shown good kids on scholarship the door to bring in fresh talent time and time again. This is, unfortunately, nothing new.

Stories like this have followed Tim Floyd around for a long time, including during his tenure here. Floyd has pulled scholarship offers, and shown good kids on scholarship the door to bring in fresh talent time and time again. This is, unfortunately, nothing new.

I know. He even has a rule named after him because of it. However, to lure this kid like they did, is inexcusable. They didn't even pay for him to get back! I'm sure this kid from Brooklyn isn't exactly rolling in money.

If that's true...if...then TF is the worst gawd damn human being and he deserves a ticket straight out of EP. F*#k him if this kid is telling the truth!

This is such an old college underbelly reality for kids who do not have good scores and come from backgrounds that make it hard to obtain aid so they can stay on for one year until the scholi comes calling. Coaches like Floyd have leverage. Sad but true. If this story is true, it will be buried with the Stull announcement.

You have to wonder if someone from ESPN is reading this and saying...."it's not like you Miner fans weren't warned and read between the lines".

No, MinerManiac, nothing new here but not in the way you think. This kind of action is standard throughout the sports world now. It's a business. Programs have to deal with this new reality with as much compassion as the rules allow but to pretend that our coaching staff is lacking compassion or is dealing with dispassion is disingenuous at best and simply trolling at worst. You don't have the hard facts.

You guys are sure assuming alot. There's always 2 sides to a story.
Also we rip him relentlessly for not having NCAA caliber teams and when we don't like the way the sausage is made we get hysterical. Can't have it both ways.

Also we rip him relentlessly for not having NCAA caliber teams and when we don't like the way the sausage is made we get hysterical. Can't have it both ways.

Why not?

Hate to sound harsh but this the real world. If there is better talent out there and available they going to go after that player. Look at what isaac Hamilton did to utep. Players and Coaches do this to each other all the time . But it is kind of messed up if they sent him home without paying fie his flight.

Thing is, like Maniac mentioned, this is nothing new for Floyd; and most realized going in what we were getting. However, the difference from his other stops, is that he hasn't been able to get to the dance one time. So the sausage cook hasn't cut it, not even close.

You are correct sir.

So let me get this straight. UTEP has one scholarship available right now. Doutrive could take that spot if he is eligible and signs here. Brown was a Prop-48, which means he pays his own way this year and gets a scolarship for next year if he qualifies (which there will be 3 available when the seniors are gone). One of those could go to Royster who is the other Prop-48. That leaves 2 left. The scholarship claim makes no sense.

Also, no disrespect, but for a kid who couldn't qualify out of high school to write a fluid and well thought out letter and post it on twitter is questionable. I'm just saying. He had some help.

The thing about going to to California for 4 months and not receiving any "help" for school is just an easy way to lay blame elsewhere. If Brown were my son, I would tell him to get his act together and his priorities straight cause the real world is coming. How about taking respinsibilty for yourself.

Oh and speaking of responsibility, if Brown wants to quit school/basketball to take care of his daughter then do what you gotta do young man. That's your fatherly responsibility and nobody cares. If it supposedly took a college basketball coach lying to him for him to make that decision, then his priorities weren't straight in the first place. Reading his letter I think he realizes this.

Maybe I'm all wrong but these are my thoughts.

Last edited:
He's 19. Priorities are rarely straight at that age. I know mine weren't.

Look, I'm pissed about the situation "IF" it is true what Brown said. I've made that abundantly clear.

Next, for you guys saying that this is a business...you have become part of the problem. If a kid is told he has a scholarship, and then rearranges his life situation around that, he is owed the scholarship. Even if he sucks. This idea that yanking scholarships happens everywhere is bullshit. Most coaches even honor scholarships of athletes who will never play for them again due to injury. Most coaches have integrity.

Again, "IF" Brown's story is accurate, this staff, and the higher ups should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. **** this being the way things are now a days. You know how that changes? You abstain from being a part of that problem in the first place.

I'm just shaking my head at the people supporting Floyd on this issue. I can understand if this is a rare occurrence for Floyd, but crap like this has been happening with Floyd for a long time.
I shake my head at people that jump to conclusions after hearing one side of the story. I also shake my head at anybody that thinks individuals can't be responsible for themselves and there is always something or somebody else to blame.

If this is true it is disgusting, but I find it highly doubtful since CTF has 1) multiple scholarships to give and 2) Mr Brown basically admits that he has been a poor decision maker.

Oh and I don't like Floyd but I think I'm being reasonable.

It's a business folks. You have to make business decisions. Have your shit together and you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yes, this happens in college sports.

My question is... how many college bball programs have we seen do this at such a regular frequency?

Additionally, have we ever benefited from this kind of crap? Sounds like we lost a kid who has some skills, and was genuinely happy to be here. Can we expect the same from this supposed incoming recruit, or is he likely to be another CTF special (i.e another top rated recruit that never steps foot on the court for one reason or another)?

I shake my head at people that jump to conclusions after hearing one side of the story. I also shake my head at anybody that thinks individuals can't be responsible for themselves and there is always something or somebody else to blame.

If this is true it is disgusting, but I find it highly doubtful since CTF has 1) multiple scholarships to give and 2) Mr Brown basically admits that he has been a poor decision maker.

You may be right. And perhaps you are being reasonable. And then again, maybe the kid is telling it like it is.

I agree with you about the importance of taking personal responsibility. It is hugely under valued this day and age. However, a 19 year old is basically in kindergarten in terms of personal responsibility. Until the age of 18 they are legally the responsibility of someone else. 19 is an age where those who choose to do so are just beginning to take personal responsibilty. Some by choice and others out of necessity. The vast majority people, though, never do end up taking responsibility for themselves. There's always somebody to blame, as you said. On rare occasion, the blame is justified.

I'm curious what you mean when you say Mr Brown basically admits he has been a poor decision maker. Sounds like he was torn between a couple tough choices to me.

Let's say, hypothetically, this player was told his scholarship wasn't "guaranteed" next year. Then I can't blame him for not enrolling in school on his own dime if he can't afford it.

Reactions: axingfools1
Life is a bitch. No one owes anyone anything. One day you could be happily married for eight years the next day she is gone with someone else. I do feel bad for him but on the bright side the coaching staff told him early. It would have been dirty to lead him on all year thinking he will get a scholarship then next season he doesn't get one. Good luck to him and sorry he had to realize life is unfair but it goes on.

Life is a bitch. No one owes anyone anything. One day you could be happily married for eight years the next day she is gone with someone else. I do feel bad for him but on the bright side the coaching staff told him early. It would have been dirty to lead him on all year thinking he will get a scholarship then next season he doesn't get one. Good luck to him and sorry he had to realize life is unfair but it goes on.

If you are happily married you don't cheat on your spouse.

Like I stated this isn't the first time Floyd pulled crap like this. I have no reason not to believe Brown and I have no reason to believe Floyd.

Like I stated this isn't the first time Floyd pulled crap like this. I have no reason not to believe Brown and I have no reason to believe Floyd.
Yes, Floyd has pulled a lot of crap and I'm not a big fan of his, but the story doesn't add up. Brown came in as a Prop-48. He said that his scholarship for NEXT year would be given away. How many scholarships do we have for next year right now? I count 4 (minus one for Royster if he makes it). If CTF signed another player for this year that doesn't effect Brown at all. Look at it objectively and make me understand...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yes, Floyd has pulled a lot of crap and I'm not a big fan of his, but the story doesn't add up. Brown came in as a Prop-48. He said that his scholarship for NEXT year would be given away. How many scholarships do we have for next year right now? I count 4 (minus one for Royster if he makes it). If CTF signed another player for this year that doesn't effect Brown at all. Look at it objectively and make me understand...

I have no clue how many scholarships we have for next year. What is Brown gaining by lying?

I mentioned my thoughts on this in a previous post, as I had pretty much the same take initially. My understanding is that Doutrive has yet to be fully cleared by the NCAA to be eligible for 2017. If he is not cleared, he would be brought in as a non-qualifier. Schools are only able to bring in a limited number of non-qualifiers; which I think is two. We already have Royster, so a spot needed to be cleared. The guy picked was Brown, since he plays the same position. He was simply recruited over for the opportunity to get Doutrive.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I mentioned my thoughts on this in a previous post, as I had pretty much the same take initially. My understanding is that Doutrive has yet to be fully cleared by the NCAA to be eligible for 2017. If he is not cleared, he would be brought in as a non-qualifier. Schools are only able to bring in a limited number of non-qualifiers; which I think is two. We already have Royster, so a spot needed to be cleared. The guy picked was Brown, since he plays the same position. He was simply recruited over for the opportunity to get Doutrive.
That makes since. From what I understand Doutrive is eligible for 2017. Also I don't see Royster in the UTEP directory.

Nevermind. Talking to you is like beating your head against the wall. Nothing to gain from that...

You told me to look at it objectively and that's what I did. Again, what does Brown gain by lying? He gains nothing. So I have no reason not to believe him.

There was a national sports writer who did a write up on Floyd not to long ago and mentioned his revolving door recruiting and how he developed that at USC. UTEP bball fans are used to empirically solving UTEP scholi circumstances but Floyd throws it off because fans never know who he will let go on any given day and who he invites or offers since he does this often.

I'm just glad Stull is retiring because now I believe Floyd will make this his last year, no matter the outcome.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT