ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Good intel. Will explore this avenue.

As you rightly pointed out previously, it didn't take me long to learn that regular visitors here add little to the entertainment or edification value. Instead, they relish in wasting time. Ours and theirs both.
I’ll give you a veteran tip that will make your life here much easier. I’ve failed to use it in the past but that has changed. If you click on someone’s profile on the right hand corner there is a button labeled “ignore” click on it and magically all of their post drop out of sight.

I’ll give you a veteran tip that will make your life here much easier. I’ve failed to use it in the past but that has changed. If you click on someone’s profile on the right hand corner there is a button labeled “ignore” click on it and magically all of their post drop out of sight.
JCorona, while becoming my tour guide, you have just handed me a GPS unit. Thanks for the tip.

I don't know why, but each time I see your name, I read it He Whore. I'm demented, I know...

You said you were coming to town for a game soon. Maybe you could "run into" Steve as he is always out n about. He's a cool cat, for a Longhorn alum that is....
Me too

Reactions: HeWore62
Ha ha. I thought the same thing. I thought it was a Roy Clark/Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo play on words.

JCorona, while becoming my tour guide, you have just handed me a GPS unit. Thanks for the tip.
More than a GPS unit, your tip functions like a weed-eater. One crank, and they're gone. Back to laughing hysterically at Beavis and Butthead reruns.

Wow its so quiet all around. Any spies out there? Any news on the basketball recruits visiing or future visits?
That's what we need here -- more eyes and ears, guys tapped into social media. Which I decidedly am not. At least not just now.

However ... the new UTEP football staff appears to be dialed into it, so I might conduct a talent search for a 9-year-old to head up my personal I.T Division.

Reactions: axingfools1
Cool, thanks. Thats in reference to Deon Stroud. He could be an early commit for 2019.
Ok thanks I was trying to make the connection. I’m constantly on Twitter searching for the latest UTEP info. I had to block some guy that goes by the name of “UTEP Minero” cuz his constant non sense was interfering with my detective work. It essentially works like the ignore button on here. Once all his tweets disappeared I was able to zoom in on the good stuff.

Ok thanks I was trying to make the connection. I’m constantly on Twitter searching for the latest UTEP info. I had to block some guy that goes by the name of “UTEP Minero” cuz his constant non sense was interfering with my detective work. It essentially works like the ignore button on here. Once all his tweets disappeared I was able to zoom in on the good stuff.
From what I've seen -- less than a week -- some of these would-be basketball recruiting experts need to change their diapers. Not clever, not amusing, just juvenile **** you might hear from 7th graders on the school bus.

I do a quarterly newsletter that goes to UTEP followers and Miners of yesteryear. I set it up like a magazine, at my expense, free to anyone who signs. So, I, for one, salute the heads-up, alert research you guys do.

When the dealing's done, I will be keenly interested to see how the roster morphs with this first recruiting class by Coach Terry. Miners will look different, for sure, and right now, different is bueno.

What I know about basketball would fill a thimble, but as a disciple who worshipped at the altar of Don Haskins, I just know defense and rebounding when I see it. This is no rip on ANY individuals UTEP is recruiting right now, but from the limited sample we are provided by video clips, defense is an afterthought.

Nobody in these off-season games seems to mind getting clowned, and wearing a dunk for a hat.

I can only deduce these games are meant to show pure athleticism and ball skills, yes? Defense comes after a kid signs, and becomes more accountable to a team and his coaches, yes?

What I know about basketball would fill a thimble, but as a disciple who worshipped at the altar of Don Haskins, I just know defense and rebounding when I see it. This is no rip on ANY individuals UTEP is recruiting right now, but from the limited sample we are provided by video clips, defense is an afterthought.

Nobody in these off-season games seems to mind getting clowned, and wearing a dunk for a hat.

I can only deduce these games are meant to show pure athleticism and ball skills, yes? Defense comes after a kid signs, and becomes more accountable to a team and his coaches, yes?

Very true. You typically will not see much defense on a high school highlight reel.

While CRT said the Miners would play an exciting, up-tempo style of offense, he also said this team’s identity would form around its defensive intensity.

Nobody plays defense nowadays. It is what it is. Kids would rather play isolation and cross people over and shoot 3s.
My 14 year old is 6'2" and can jump higher than I ever could. All he wants to do is shoot 3's and try to dunk. I'm constantly on him about blocking out, rebounding, dribbling, shooting free throws/layups and playing tough defense. I tell him the rest will come, but right now its in one ear and out the other. He's gonna find out the hard way in high school.

EVERYBODY that plays college basketball can dunk. Its what you do in the game that will impress and win games. Most of the videos on these kids really tell us nothing. Likekele has some good video.

I think Stroud has reclassified as a 2018 recruit. Apparently, he also visited UTEP unofficially on 4/6.
I respect your inside info Train, you're always on top of things. I'm a bit confused though. He just finished his JR year in high school right? So how could he go D1 this year?

Very true. You typically will not see much defense on a high school highlight reel.

While CRT said the Miners would play an exciting, up-tempo style of offense, he also said this team’s identity would form around its defensive intensity.
You're right. I saw that intro presser, too, and some of his philosophy got me jazzed. Then he went into great detail about all the transfers, and I quickly realized these D-1 coaches are bandits. They think nothing of recruiting off each other's active rosters.

Definitely adds another element to recruiting. Just because a kid enrolls at UTEP (or anywhere) and is training with the team doesn't mean the coaches can stop recruiting him. Sheesh.

My 14 year old is 6'2" and can jump higher than I ever could. All he wants to do is shoot 3's and try to dunk. I'm constantly on him about blocking out, rebounding, dribbling, shooting free throws/layups and playing tough defense. I tell him the rest will come, but right now its in one ear and out the other. He's gonna find out the hard way in high school.

EVERYBODY that plays college basketball can dunk. Its what you do in the game that will impress and win games. Most of the videos on these kids really tell us nothing. Likekele has some good video.

Sounds like you have your hands full, Dad. All that cross-over dribbling and between the legs? The ball-handler is just melting clock, unwittingly playing into the hands of the defense and putting extra pressure on his own offense.

Nate Archibald never did that stuff (before the shot clock, of course). I know because I never missed a home game. Without the showboating, Tiny was never derailed from an outstanding NBA career with the Celtics.

Unfortunately, Axingfools1, until your son reaches about age 25, your I.Q. will go down with each passing year. Amazing how my own father has become so wise in his 92nd year. But actually, he got smarter long about the time I graduated from UTEP, and got a job. I sought his counsel when buying my first car.

Reactions: axingfools1
As an example of this, there were 4 NBA playoff games yesterday and all 8 teams in those 4 games scored more than 100 points. The winning team scored at least 115 points in 3 of yesterday’s 4 games. And this is the playoffs, when defense is supposed to be taken a little more seriously.

Sorry, gang, to me the NBA is unwatchable. I admire great athletes with talent, in any sport. But a season that begins in October and ends in June (or is it July?), with a numbing series of dunks, 3-pointers and ole! bullfighter maneuvers, disguised as defense ... wake me when it's over.

Reactions: burnme1
I respect your inside info Train, you're always on top of things. I'm a bit confused though. He just finished his JR year in high school right? So how could he go D1 this year?
I should have qualified that Nattybry. I have seen conflicting reports on Stroud's classification. I did see somewhere where he had reclassified while at prep school this year; can't seem to find that link now. If he did indeed visit unofficially this month, he is likely not going to play next year. If he has indeed reclassified, since he visited unofficially, that would indicate he may be a non qualifier Prop 48 recruit. Seems like a great athlete, but still a work in progress skillwise.

I should have qualified that Nattybry. I have seen conflicting reports on Stroud's classification. I did see somewhere where he had reclassified while at prep school this year; can't seem to find that link now. If he did indeed visit unofficially this month, he is likely not going to play next year. If he has indeed reclassified, since he visited unofficially, that would indicate he may be a non qualifier Prop 48 recruit. Seems like a great athlete, but still a work in progress skillwise.
Oh ok either way he won't play this year though.

Reactions: Lil_Train
As an example of this, there were 4 NBA playoff games yesterday and all 8 teams in those 4 games scored more than 100 points. The winning team scored at least 115 points in 3 of yesterday’s 4 games. And this is the playoffs, when defense is supposed to be taken a little more seriously.

I don’t know if we’ll see an All-Time D in the NBA any time soon. They took away hand checking in the mid 90s. They allowed Zone Defense and they are constantly looking at ways to increase scoring. Just like the NFL.

But we’ve had this discussion many times before. Kids want to have handles and jump everywhere before they learn the fundamentals of the game. AAU basketball doesn’t preach fundamentals and that is essentially some rec league/one on one bullshit. The game isn’t about feeding a big man in the post who can collapse the defense, and hit an open man or a post hook. It’s about taking 3s or isolating your man one on one and giving him some dirty crossover and slash to the basket.

You look at the NBA right now, who are the best big men. Embid, Karl Anthony Towns, Gasol, Deandre Jordan, Joel Embiid? Wouldn’t you take any of those big men over the top centers in the last 30 years? Over a Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Zo or a Shaq?

Last edited:
I don’t know if we’ll see an All-Time D in the NBA any time soon. They took away hand checking in the mid 90s. They allowed Zone Defense and they are constantly looking at ways to increase scoring. Just like the NFL.

But we’ve had this discussion many times before. Kids want to have handles and jump everywhere before they learn the fundamentals of the game. AAU basketball doesn’t preach fundamentals and that is essentially some rec league/one on one bullshit. The game isn’t about feeding a big man in the post who can collapse the defense, and hit an open man or a post hook. It’s about taking 3s or isolating your man one on one and giving him some dirty crossover and slash to the basket.

Yes, my fellow American, we see the same games.

The most underrated move in basketball? The pass to the post man, where he needs it, on time, when he needs it. Lost art.

I know it was lost on our UTEP guards last season. That 7-footer Wilms (spelling?) needed the seed while stationary, back to the bucket, in position to deal left or right. Even when the big kid was healthy, that did not happen often enough.

Wouldn't it be kool to see this new UTEP staff bring in a guard or two or three, unselfish and physically powerful, to get the Miners' offense in motion? Sign me up to watch some of that. No NBA for me, thank you.

Yes, my fellow American, we see the same games.

The most underrated move in basketball? The pass to the post man, where he needs it, on time, when he needs it. Lost art.

I know it was lost on our UTEP guards last season. That 7-footer Wilms (spelling?) needed the seed while stationary, back to the bucket, in position to deal left or right. Even when the big kid was healthy, that did not happen often enough.

Wouldn't it be kool to see this new UTEP staff bring in a guard or two or three, unselfish and physically powerful, to get the Miners' offense in motion? Sign me up to watch some of that. No NBA for me, thank you.

But is that style of basketball even feesable in 2018? It’s like you said, PGs cant feed the post but big men cant post up dominate down low. I think if a coach were stubborn enough to force that kids you may find yourself in the same situation that Kugler was in with FB. You may get a big man or two who wants to post up but you’re going to end up with a lot of C and D level talent everywhere else because what kid is going to want to play smash mouth basketball when every other school is running up and down the court.

But is that style of basketball even feesable in 2018? It’s like you said, PGs cant feed the post but big men cant post up dominate down low. I think if a coach were stubborn enough to force that kids you may find yourself in the same situation that Kugler was in with FB. You may get a big man or two who wants to post up but you’re going to end up with a lot of C and D level talent everywhere else because what kid is going to want to play smash mouth basketball when every other school is running up and down the court.

You just might be right ... unfortunately ... but correct.

I know my posts must read like Bob Knight's most influential coach, Clair Bee.

Anybody help me find my Nehru jacket?

Hewhore you are derailing topics. As new poster one of the first rules is you shouldnt derail topics.

Reactions: nattybry
Quick update on Deon Stroud below from 4/21. Apparently, Stroud is indeed a 2018 recruit, and he mentions he has UTEP at the top of his list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT