ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

We’re all hyped with Issac and Nigel but let’s not forget Terry was able to keep one of our best players from last season. Big win in my book.

You're right. For a new coach to retain his best players is a big win. Coach Terry spoke to this transfer business at length during his introductory press conference.

RT pointed the wide-spread recruiting -- off the rosters of other teams. Strange, but true.

Related, I like the youthful enthusiasm oozing from the Gilyard note. This means the new staff has connected with at least one of the hold-over lettermen. Jolly good.

I trust them 3 but its uteps twitter handle or whoever is running it saying that he is a 4 star player. Thats who im asking? Where did they see that he is rated 4 stars?
It looks like this Texas Tech basketball account has him as a four star also.

I trust them 3 but its uteps twitter handle or whoever is running it saying that he is a 4 star player. Thats who im asking? Where did they see that he is rated 4 stars?

I remember seeing him as a 4 star player on either Rivals or 247 last week although I don't remember which website it was at. He was a 3 star on one site and a 4 star on the other but it now appears that he is listed as a 3 star player on both. He was been downgraded at some point this week.

I remember seeing him as a 4 star player on either Rivals or 247 last week although I don't remember which website it was at. He was a 3 star on one site and a 4 star on the other but it now appears that he is listed as a 3 star player on both. He was been downgraded at some point this week.
The cynic in me says this 3- or 4-star player would be a 5-star gift to basketball, if he was on Villanova's wish-list.

Reactions: picks up
Rivals had him rated 4 stars a few weeks ago, now he's a three star?

If TTech really wants this kid, you can expect this to be a recruiting tug-a-war. A tough sign for UTEP, methinks.

Coach Beard has proven ability to eval talent, then drag those kids to Lubbock, especially the 6-5 leaper-types.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I have been following Isaac ever since Terry was named coach and Isaac was never a 4 star on Rivals or 247. But it doesn't matter everyone has the right make their own rating . Maybe UTEP and Tech see him as a 4 star player.

I have been following Isaac ever since Terry was named coach and Isaac was never a 4 star on Rivals or 247. But it doesn't matter everyone has the right make their own rating . Maybe UTEP and Tech see him as a 4 star player.
So on 247 a score of .935 indicates a 4-star player. On ESPN a score of 80 indicates a 4-star player.

From today's update Likekele is a .927 which is a high 3-star. They have him down 30 positions from previous rankings, but still in the top 150 at 137.

Rivals has Likekele as a high 3-star and down 1 position in the top 150 at 146.

Likekele is our top recruit right now.
Alvarez is next as a 3-star at .870 on 247 and a high 3 star on ESPN at 79.
Hawkins and Odigie are both a 3-star on Rivals.

FYI: Kyler Edwards is rated right with Isaac and is a 6'5 SG/SF that has already signed with Tech. He is rated on ESPN as an 81.

Maybe you're right and I'm mistaken.

I could care less about the dunks, but Ali shows athletic ability and vision with his turnaround J and that little pass around the defender to his teammate crashing the lane. And...it’s not like we couldn’t use a guy who can bring the rim down from time to time.

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but he looks like he’s not really trying out there. Those dunks he did, he didn’t use a lot of intensity/force to get up there. He looks athletic as heck and he looks like he’s not trying to get up there.

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but he looks like he’s not really trying out there. Those dunks he did, he didn’t use a lot of intensity/force to get up there. He looks athletic as heck and he looks like he’s not trying to get up there.

Yeah, now that you point that out. Looks like there’s quite a bit more raw power he could tap into.

Don't know what to make of the pending signees Avery Martinez and Terry Ochieng. Hasn't been anything about their status. Did I miss anything?

Don't know what to make of the pending signees Avery Martinez and Terry Ochieng. Hasn't been anything about their status. Did I miss anything?
CRT said he had 9 scholarships to give, if you do the math that means they let those two out of their letter of intent.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I could care less about the dunks, but Ali shows athletic ability and vision with his turnaround J and that little pass around the defender to his teammate crashing the lane. And...it’s not like we couldn’t use a guy who can bring the rim down from time to time.

He's long and will play bigger than 6'8 or '9. He can almost dunk without jumping.

Going into this weekend, I like CRT's chances for Isaac Likekele. Tech likes their chances as well but Isaac will have to contribute immediately at UTEP just like Omega did his freshman year (Let's not forget Omega was critical in UTEP beating Xavier is freshman year). Tech will not play him immediately because they already have a "crowded" backcourt. OSU already got their "cherry on top" recruits (Kalib & Keylan Boone from in state), but Isaac will for sure be UTEP's if he signs with UTEP. But here is what both schools competing for him as well stand as of this weekend.

Tech: https://wreckemred.com/2018/04/21/texas-tech-squarely-in-the-mix-for-2018-point-guard/

OSU: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_616b9141-bf1c-5b0a-aefc-74c40e28c76e.html

"Madiaw Niang (Small Forward / 6-9 / 200)

DME Sports Academy (Two-Star recruit)

Offers: FAU, Long Beach State, UTEP, FIU, Coastal CarolinaStatus: Offered

Coming out of Senegal, Madiaw Naing had a breakout senior season for DME Sports Academy as a multi-versed small forward. He’s dominant on transition plays, brings length that makes him tough defensively and has nice handles for a small forward.

His Twitter profile has been all UTEP as of late, so possibly Terry capitalized on this underrated international athlete. And hey, the athletic department is widely known for taking in international students and breeding them through the diverse UTEP system."

http://krod.com/utep-mens-basketball-recruiting-radar/

Reactions: develman
Going into this weekend, I like CRT's chances for Isaac Likekele. Tech likes their chances as well but Isaac will have to contribute immediately at UTEP just like Omega did his freshman year (Let's not forget Omega was critical in UTEP beating Xavier is freshman year). Tech will not play him immediately because they already have a "crowded" backcourt. OSU already got their "cherry on top" recruits (Kalib & Keylan Boone from in state), but Isaac will for sure be UTEP's if he signs with UTEP. But here is what both schools competing for him as well stand as of this weekend.

Tech: https://wreckemred.com/2018/04/21/texas-tech-squarely-in-the-mix-for-2018-point-guard/

OSU: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_616b9141-bf1c-5b0a-aefc-74c40e28c76e.html
This is what I call an analytical viewpoint worth reading. Interesante.

If we want good players we have to win recruiting battles. We can’t sign Roman Silva, Josh Brown, Joey St Pierre, Kelvin Jones, etc... that no one else wants.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
If we want good players we have to win recruiting battles. We can’t sign Roman Silva, Josh Brown, Joey St Pierre, Kelvin Jones, etc... that no one else wants.

Hey Roman Silva was wanted by Campbell and Kelvin was recruited by Brown and Army. Those are big time schools!!!!

Reactions: El Paso 1
You can meet him online. He occasionally drops by here with some gems.
Good intel. Will explore this avenue.

As you rightly pointed out previously, it didn't take me long to learn that regular visitors here add little to the entertainment or edification value. Instead, they relish in wasting time. Ours and theirs both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT