ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

We need a scholarship worthy big man, not walk-ons or mystery men (who I'm sure are walkons). I will take Rhyanes this year if we get Williams or Iwuakor for 19'.

Kaosi Ezeagu is a our big man. Embrace it. He's young but has major upside. There was a reason South Carolina and WMU wanted him badly (as did "Old Dominion, St. Bonaventure, Princeton, Brown and Creighton").

Reactions: utep4ever
Kaosi Ezeagu is a our big man. Embrace it. He's young but has major upside. There was a reason South Carolina and WMU wanted him badly (as did "Old Dominion, St. Bonaventure, Princeton, Brown and Creighton").

Yes, but he can’t play all 40, and there will be a learning curve...an adjustment period, if you will. Think axing just thinks it would be nice to have another big, especially an upperclassman with some D1 experience.

Yes, but he can’t play all 40, and there will be a learning curve...an adjustment period, if you will. Think axing just thinks it would be nice to have another big, especially an upperclassman with some D1 experience.
Absolutely!
But if that's all we've got, it's still a lot more talent than any of us expected considering the late start Terry got. Eze will be "The Man". Hopefully he's durable and not foul prone.

You don't have to tell me. I like our young bigs and I have stated that Ezagu was a steal already. If our guys hold their own this year then great, but they could also use some help though. Like Fanticoog said, there are 40 minutes to play and only so many fouls to go around.

But of course, I totally agree.

Reactions: MinerE
I think we will primarily play a 4 small line-up this year with Ezagu as the big. Efe will back him up and sometimes they'll be paired as a change of pace/adjustment line-up.
The young guys will definitly get experience. I wonder how much zone we might have to play? Maybe a 1-3-1 with with a pesky Gilyard up front and Eze the back anchor. PT in the middle and Osborne/Stroud on the wings. Thats a lot of length on the wings and in the middle.

Last edited:
Wow. Great job coach. In practice this year, our redshirt team might consistently beat our real team that plays the games.

Coach has put together a well rounded roster going into 2019 and all of these transfers will be added to a bunch of young guys that will gain a ton of experience this year.

Wow. Great job coach. In practice this year, our redshirt team might consistently beat our real team that plays the games.

Coach has put together a well rounded roster going into 2019 and all of these transfers will be added to a bunch of young guys that will gain a ton of experience this year.
WOW !!!
"KATY BAR THE DOOR!"
Why do we have to wait so damn long to enjoy the rewards?

I hate to be party pooper butim not gpnna get excited yet. Ive learned my lesson. Lets see first if Terry will be here for 2019. But i think he should be. It would be a messed move if jumped to another job while getting these kids to transfer.

RT and staff should get a pass for year one because of Hurricane Tim, but if this group of commits and transfers sticks together until October 2019, we just might finally have a roster that can compete at the top of the C-USA standings, and have a legit shot at being a factor in the C-USA tourney. Idc if its two years away, this aint Tim Floyd, I see more character and care in Terry's recruiting tactics, I'd be highly surprised if we lose any of these commits, Terry is up to something, and we all deserve to be excited for once. I'm fired up for year two....

The addition of Williams is huge. If all goes as expected, he is day one all conference type guy. In my opinion, he is the most "sure thing" of all the new guys, and that is saying something for a change. That said, I highly doubt Terry is done for next year. There will be other grad transfers available as the summer school finishes up, and I would surprised if Terry doesn't pickup at least one more for next year.

RT and staff should get a pass for year one because of Hurricane Tim, but if this group of commits and transfers sticks together until October 2019, we just might finally have a roster that can compete at the top of the C-USA standings, and have a legit shot at being a factor in the C-USA tourney. Idc if its two years away, this aint Tim Floyd, I see more character and care in Terry's recruiting tactics, I'd be highly surprised if we lose any of these commits, Terry is up to something, and we all deserve to be excited for once. I'm fired up for year two....
Mexico is out and Williams picked UTEP. Damn, and it's Monday.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm feelin a little "cocky". Correction...make that "big" cocky.

A lot can and probably will change over the next couple of years, but if we look at our scholarship players today, then we will still be pretty young in 2019! Here would be our projected roster in 2019:

1 Senior - Osborne.

4 Juniors - Tarke, McGee, Williams, Gilyard.

6 Sophomores - Stroud, Hawkins, Efe, Ezeagu, Boum, Verhoeven.

I would expect some natural movement/defections, but if the core remains in tact and produces, then our bigger year theoretically could be in 2020.

We're gonna be a lot better than I expected this year. Williams brings the experience and talent we desperately needed at that position.

This is the kind of pickup that really brings everything together. We may not compete for a conf championship this year, but this time last year it was looking like our 18-19 bball season would rival the 17-18 football season.

Good job, Coach

Reactions: axingfools1
A lot can and probably will change over the next couple of years, but if we look at our scholarship players today, then we will still be pretty young in 2019! Here would be our projected roster in 2019:

1 Senior - Osborne.

4 Juniors - Tarke, McGee, Williams, Gilyard.

6 Sophomores - Stroud, Hawkins, Efe, Ezeagu, Boum, Verhoeven.

I would expect some natural movement/defections, but if the core remains in tact and produces, then our bigger year theoretically could be in 2020.
That's genuine inside/outside strength. Plenty of depth at each position
and the roster isn't full with the above count being eleven plus our preferred walk-on Jakobe Dill. BTW, can someone define "preferred walk-on" for me?

and the roster isn't full with the above count being eleven plus our preferred walk-on Jakobe Dill. BTW, can someone define "preferred walk-on" for me?
I think it basically means that you have made the team, where as a 'regular' walk-on has to try out. Makes for a better practice team and a remote chance at a 13th scholarship down the road

Right. If Eze turns out to be the beast we think he can be, our front line will be extremely formidable in C-USA and beyond. Having Eze, Efe and Williams in the paint will be hard enough to handle for most teams. Having Verhoeven, Tarke and Stroud coming off the wing and weakside will be a nightmare. Offense and defense. Lets hope they all buy in. If our guards can shoot well then yikes!

Right. If Eze turns out to be the beast we think he can be, our front line will be extremely formidable in C-USA and beyond. Having Eze, Efe and Williams in the paint will be hard enough to handle for most teams. Having Verhoeven, Tarke and Stroud coming off the wing and weakside will be a nightmare. Offense and defense. Lets hope they all buy in. If our guards can shoot well then yikes!

Wow, players that you have never seen play are going to be "nightmares" for the opposition. Good to know!

We're gonna be a lot better than I expected this year. Williams brings the experience and talent we desperately needed at that position.

This is the kind of pickup that really brings everything together. We may not compete for a conf championship this year, but this time last year it was looking like our 18-19 bball season would rival the 17-18 football season.

Good job, Coach
Wait are you under the impression Williams will help this upcoming year? Maybe in Practice! 2019-2020 is when he'll play.

Wait are you under the impression Williams will help this upcoming year? Maybe in Practice! 2019-2020 is when he'll play.

Yah I realized soon after the post that a few of our guys will be sitting this year. Either way, I'm still way more excited about this season than I otherwise would have. At least we can really evaluate our freshman talent, since they'll be thrown to the wolves immediately

Reactions: topminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT