ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Could they please not use Floyd Mayweather’s famous quote.

"I wish I was 50 years younger and I'd kick your ass!" -Larry Merchant,HBO Boxing analyst, telling Mayweather post fight after Floyd M. stated "(Merchant)Never gives him a fair shake...you need to be fired (from HBO)"; 2011 (Ortiz fight)

2STEP
OK Got the video to open on another device...my tablet; but not my phone.
Can you share who took the video? Also is this just a pick-up game? Looks to be coaches present. Can you explain to this dummy what's goin on?

Last edited:
2STEP
OK Got the video to open on another device...my tablet; but not my phone.
Can you share who took the video? Also is this just a pick-up game? Looks to be coaches present. Can you explain to this dummy what's goin on?
I would say it’s a hype video of their practice. I like it. PT looks like he’s huffing in one of the scenes. Eze looks tired too. Those must be some intense practices.

I would say it’s a hype video of their practice. I like it. PT looks like he’s huffing in one of the scenes. Eze looks tired too. Those must be some intense practices.

If they are a little light on bigs I’m glad they’re running those kids hard so they can be prepared to play some big minutes.

It appears a strength and condition session to me with basic drills. Getting the legs war ready. Just my two cents. Does not say who took video.

There have multiple photos, videos and reports of the entire squad together at different events. I think this is a great maneuver by Terry to promote and develop comradery amongst the teammates while engageing and meeting the fans. This has never happened before to my knowledge. They all appear to be enjoying each other as well as the experience.

Wow where's the sense of adventure and risk ?
OK Purp!
Now that I've seen the schedule it looks like about a 15-15 season to me. I think we have talent in our freshmen, but inexperience and lack of depth will cause us to lose several close games. Keys will be 1) does Thomas show improvement? 2) Will Eze & Efe be durable and not be foul prone? 3) Will any of the non-schollys contribute? 4) Will Hawkins perform as advertised?
If we get positives on 3 out of 4 that 15-15 could become 20-10.

Reactions: axingfools1
Kind of agree with miner1liner on this scenario. The X factor is coaching. Will these young, energetic coaches instill a sense of trust, teamwork and commitment in our players that allows them to reach and exceed their potential?

Reactions: axingfools1
Re-quote: (Just a guess of what may have happened, haven't heard anything concrete.)

"After Rodney Terry publicly said I need to work on being more consistent, I was out played by legit D-1 players in our recent practices and was told I won't be getting any playing time."

Not a big loss, good luck to the young man and his future.

Hopefully that means Stroud is playing this year.
If that means Stroud is suddenly eligible, I guess that minimizes the hurt. Hate to see Osbourne go as he was one of the highlights last year. It seems to be contagious the way players continue to transfer and lose a year. He already had to sit out one year. He will be in a wheelchair by the time his college days are over. Same as Trey Wade
Go Deon.

Osborne's transfer caught me completely by surprise...we have no choice but to see how it plays out...

Osborne's transfer caught me completely by surprise...we have no choice but to see how it plays out...
Maybe Terry didn't want him that much and obviously didn't convince him to stay. Didn't he have some negative comments about him a while back?

I thought Osbourne played well last year. Especially coming from Canada and sititing our a year. Given our lack of experience I thought he would have had the opportunity to step up and take a bigger role offensively, esepecially since he was our top returning scorer

Re-quote: (Just a guess of what may have happened, haven't heard anything concrete.)

"After Rodney Terry publicly said I need to work on being more consistent, I was out played by legit D-1 players in our recent practices and was told I won't be getting any playing time."

Bad timing and it is a big loss in regards to depth. I'm not too disturbed though as I think this year will be a wash..3 scholarships now open for 19'

That’s a good question. I think there is a chance Stroud doesn’t stay, just because he’s sitting out for the year. Obviously the transfers stay. Efe and Eze seem to major building blocks down low. So I am going to be going out on a limb here and say that Gillyard, Osbourne and Magee may playing for their lives. Terry brought in a lot of G/F type players so that creates a massive logjam come next year.
It was one of Floyd’s recruits that ends up leaving. We were having this conversation less than two weeks ago.

My thoughts, exactly. He was either shown the door, or knew it was being left open for him anyway...

It was one of Floyd’s recruits that ends up leaving. We were having this conversation less than two weeks ago.

I’m sure it’s tough being part of the old regime in basketball. There are so few spots and coaches probably want to bring in as many of their players as they can.

Last edited:
My thoughts, exactly. He was either shown the door, or knew it was being left open for him anyway...
The issue this coming year is that we are now down to six scholarship players before the season has even started. I don't think I have ever seen a team that is so short handed going into a season. Hopefully, Terry can bring in a grad transfer or two to help immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT