ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

The issue this coming year is that we are now down to six scholarship players before the season has even started. I don't think I have ever seen a team that is so short handed going into a season. Hopefully, Terry can bring in a grad transfer or two to help immediately.

The 02-03 team was super short handed. This team on paper could have taken that team to town.

The issue this coming year is that we are now down to six scholarship players before the season has even started. I don't think I have ever seen a team that is so short handed going into a season. Hopefully, Terry can bring in a grad transfer or two to help immediately.
I have heaped the praise on Coach Terry for his accomplishments, but sure wish he could have sold the goods to Ozzy. Gonna be a tough 2018.

2018 was going to be tough. Let’s see how this team and staff work through it. Should provide plenty of learning opportunities to help for the next year.
Seems like I'm always waiting for "next" year. That's what I did last year and the year before that, etc. I'm 81 and my time is now!!!
You young guys have more time and patience than I do.

Seems like I'm always waiting for "next" year. That's what I did last year and the year before that, etc. I'm 81 and my time is now!!!
You young guys have more time and patience than I do.

Lol!. This year...meh. Next year will be much better but it’s that following year that may be special. Hang in there ole fella! ;)

Damn...not sure what to make of the Osborne transfer. With how politically correct and tactful most coaches/programs are these days (which is a good thing in my opinion), we may never know why IO ended up leaving. Would’ve been reinforcement on a thin squad, at the very least. Not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things either, tho.

Isaiah embodies that way overused concept, “potential”. However, like many Floyd recruits, he had more than several games where he seemed non-existent. He could play lights out, shoot 45% with 15-20 points and several boards one game then the next shoot under 20% with 2 points and a whopping 1 rebound to go along with it.

In a world where we like to know what we’re getting from night to night, I’d have to say that Osborne was like a box of chocolates...! :)
Aside from needing the bodies, not too terrible of a loss the way I see it.

Damn...not sure what to make of the Osborne transfer. With how politically correct and tactful most coaches/programs are these days (which is a good thing in my opinion), we may never know why IO ended up leaving. Would’ve been reinforcement on a thin squad, at the very least. Not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things either, tho.

Isaiah embodies that way overused concept, “potential”. However, like many Floyd recruits, he had more than several games where he seemed non-existent. He could play lights out, shoot 45% with 15-20 points and several boards one game then the next shoot under 20% with 2 points and a whopping 1 rebound to go along with it.

In a world where we like to know what we’re getting from night to night, I’d have to say that Osborne was like a box of chocolates...! :)
Aside from needing the bodies, not too terrible of a loss the way I see it.
The way you described IO, it could have easilly been Willms or Omega last year.

Everyone has a legit worry about being really shorthanded this coming season, but....

#BlueCollarMentality is the program brand, I'm actually excited to see this team fight and show some damn grit and nasty, best believe RT will never bitch and moan about having to replace a roster. I don't see RT or staff as a "poor us" type of coach. That was UTEP's identity under Floyd, he would always say "we'll fight it" but his teams laid down because he did.

I think that's motivation RT will use, and I'd be surprised if the team doesn't fully buy in and give us a fun product to watch in terms of heart.

That being said, this adversity will set up well with the culture RT will build ongoing, all those extra reps and minutes will pay off at some point for certain players, being shorthanded and getting roughed up by Arizona, UAB, or Marquette will pay off, then the DUDES who been practicing and pushing the current roster this season step into the rotation next year.

Will this team win a C-USA tourney and grab a NCAA bid off heart and grit? Answer is hell no, but I do believe these guys will fight like hell, and not get mopped 82-33 against anyone.

Lets let RT build this culture this year, and worry about bodies next year when the real expectations should start :)

The way you described IO, it could have easilly been Willms or Omega last year.

Yeah. I could’ve been describing any number of Floyd’s recruits I think. Although he was a no-show on occasion, and perhaps a slight bit of a head case, personally I wouldn’t necessarily lump Omega in that group, though. Willms...for sure.

Well; so much for the projected starting line up. With Ozzy gone who's the fifth starter?

If that means Stroud is suddenly eligible, I guess that minimizes the hurt. Hate to see Osbourne go as he was one of the highlights last year. It seems to be contagious the way players continue to transfer and lose a year. He already had to sit out one year. He will be in a wheelchair by the time his college days are over. Same as Trey Wade
Go Deon.
He is transferring to a school in Canada. I don't think he will have to sit out a year.

Reactions: miner1liner
Osborne “out” and Lathon “in” only a few hours later. Probably the quickest upgrade in UTEP history.
Interesting that he is ranked higher than Likekele as well. Damn it would be nice if Stroud were eligible this year to fill the SF spot

Look for UTEP to play more of an NBA style of offense as opposed to the traditional style under Floyd. Don't be surprised if Paul Thomas is the tallest guy on the court at times. Don't think we will be seeing the traditional motion offense either. My guess is there will be a lot of pick and pop/roll and that the team will shoot a bunch of threes. I also have a feeling that based on our personal we will be pressing. Under Floyd UTEP tried to limit the opponents possessions by slowing the game down. I think CRT will try to speed the game up, create turnovers from the opponents while limiting them for UTEP. Therefore the team will need strong defenders and good shooters and not such an emphasis on rebounding.

Interesting that he is ranked higher than Likekele as well.

It’s also somewhat interesting that Likekele committed to Oklahoma State on 5/11/18 and Oklahoma State still offered Jordan Lathon on 5/29/18.

After doing some reading, I do wonder a bit about Lathon. He got dropped by Northwestern roughly two months ago and he then got a ton of offers from some big schools as soon as he was dropped. Schools like Illinois, Cincy, Virginia Tech, Oregon State, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Louisville, and others all offered him. Even Ohio State and Kansas showed interest at one point according to a twitter post. He took an official visit to SMU and then everything went silent. It seems like something may have scared everybody away? Then out of no where he suddenly signs with UTEP, who wasn’t even listed as an offer as of this morning?

Look for UTEP to play more of an NBA style of offense as opposed to the traditional style under Floyd. Don't be surprised if Paul Thomas is the tallest guy on the court at times. Don't think we will be seeing the traditional motion offense either. My guess is there will be a lot of pick and pop/roll and that the team will shoot a bunch of threes. I also have a feeling that based on our personal we will be pressing. Under Floyd UTEP tried to limit the opponents possessions by slowing the game down. I think CRT will try to speed the game up, create turnovers from the opponents while limiting them for UTEP. Therefore the team will need strong defenders and good shooters and not such an emphasis on rebounding.
Couldn't agree more.... :)

Reactions: miner1liner
Yup. CRT said that when he got here.

"With Bryant McIntosh and Scottie Lindsey graduating after the 2017-18 season, Chris Collins needed a 2018 guard, and he got his man in Jordan Lathon. The four-star recruit out of Missouri figures to slot into Northwestern’s guard rotation during his true freshman season thanks to his impressive defensive potential and knack for finding the rim." [InsideNU.com]

Hats off to Terry. He has transformed a turd into a golden nugget in a sort amount of time. He has never once complained about the hand he was dealt when he got here. Tim was full if lame excuses and his failures were always a result of what Barbee left him or the "transfer epidemic".

Hats off to Terry. He has transformed a turd into a golden nugget in a sort amount of time. He has never once complained about the hand he was dealt when he got here. Tim was full if lame excuses and his failures were always a result of what Barbee left him or the "transfer epidemic".
Agreed 100%. I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but at this rate I actually think Terry could turn us into the next Nevada. He may be gone pretty fast too if that happens, but I will take it! All Senter will have to do is keep it going and turn us into the next Gonzaga (and it will be much easier the next time around as there will be much more interest and more money). #5starsarecomingsoon #CUSA champs

We don’t need 5 stars. Many schools win without them first and are able to get them later. Let’s win a conference title or get to the dance before we get ahead of ourselves

I remember when Terry was hired and one of the reporters asked him about the “challenges of trying to recruit to El Paso.” Terry had a slightly confused look on his face and he said something direct like “I don’t foresee any problems with recruiting to El Paso.”

He has certainly backed up that confident statement thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT