ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

We don’t need 5 stars. Many schools win without them first and are able to get them later. Let’s win a conference title or get to the dance before we get ahead of ourselves
Yes sir, but don't tell me you won't 'shit your pants' when Terry gets our 1st 5 star. Yes, lets win our conference first and get to the NCAA. I know, I know. I'm just giddy.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Maybe it's just me but I doubt we ever get a 5star I foresee a few 4s but mostly 3s which isn't a bad thing just don't see us getting a 5 star player -- would love to be wrong

I don't know about everyone else I am really excited about watching utep basketball this year and seeing all the new players!

I don’t know what the record will be this year, and I assume hthere will be some growing pains because it’s new coach and a lot of freshmen coming in. But this team will be much improved by this time next year

Maybe it's just me but I doubt we ever get a 5star I foresee a few 4s but mostly 3s which isn't a bad thing just don't see us getting a 5 star player -- would love to be wrong

Isaac Hamilton was a 5 star but he never showed up. Derrick Character was a 5 star.

I don't think Terry holds the same ideation that some UTEP fans do. He is not limited by the 'poor me UTEP mentality'. I think he intends to recruit to the highest level and win at UTEP. He has contributed to 15+ players in the NBA. Nevada and WKU each signed a 5-star this year, so why can't we eventually? He has already offered 5-star Jalen Green 20' and I think he will offer more. Somebody asked this summer which new coach (football or basketball) will get the 1st 5-star of this new regime. I say basketball by a landslide.

But I'm afraid I will have to carry a program around with me until January
I am always anxious to see the initial photos of the new players once they are posted to the roster on the website. Easier when I can put the faces to the names.

We may or may not ever sign a 5 star recruit, however, the Butler team from right around the turn of this decade, demonstrated how a well coached team full of 3 star recruits can get it done. Matt Howard was the only 4 star guy, but Willie Veasley was unrated by rivals and ESPN. Hayward, Nored and Mack were all 3 stars.

We don’t need 5 star recruits to compete in CUSA. Plus it seems like when a 5 star does sign with a G5 school they either never make it to campus( Hamilton and that other 5 star recruit WKU signed 1 or 2 years ago) or they amount to nothing and transfer( Herb Pope at NMSU).

Question for anyone who might have some insight. Why haven't 247sports or ESPN even come close on 2018 basketball commits and signees?

We don’t need 5 star recruits to compete in CUSA. Plus it seems like when a 5 star does sign with a G5 school they either never make it to campus( Hamilton and that other 5 star recruit WKU signed 1 or 2 years ago) or they amount to nothing and transfer( Herb Pope at NMSU).
Wow I didn't know talking about 5-stars would strike such a chord! I have higher expectations than 'competing in CUSA'. I think Terry does too. If we can reach those expectations with who we have, then I'm fine with it. If we become a school that gets 4-stars regularly and can land a legit 5-star here and there, I'm sure you will be good with it, right?

Reactions: mikesarabia
Question for anyone who might have some insight. Why haven't 247sports or ESPN even come close on 2018 basketball commits and signees?

ESPN had two UTEP supporters who have been positive about UTEP hoops to a small certain degree. Katz and Jeff Van Gundy. Van Gundy actually wore a UTEP t shirt during a daytime ESPN show. Now that was because he was bud with Floyd. Katz has given UTEP good props but Floyd just kept taking UTEP south and support waned. Losing to teams like Norfolk State is a hard pill to swallow. My point is there is national support of UTEP.

To dove tail that, networking with competitive sports sites at the street/ground level in EP is getting better (Miner Rush just hired someone to replace Alex), HS football is well reported and local HS football sites are online but it does not appear there is networking with national sites. Speaking from personal experience, Rivals planted their flag on UTEPlandia years ago for the casual to hardcore online sports fan. This was possible because of former admin Darren Hunt who did a great job reaching out to UTEP fans all over, especially north Texas/Dallas fans and some SoCal UTEP fans. But now getting Rivals in depth info is spotty. Miner Rush crushed the Rivals flag thanks to Alex, who gave real empirical data (actual charts and graphs), analysis on player position needs and wants, instant recruiting info (Alex scooped everyone. Rivals, EP Times, and local sports media by constant social media analysis, and staying in the loop with real good sources, etc) and he thus became the go to source. 247 started as a bit of a college and pro rumor site news site and UTEP is too much of a "regional interest" entity (a term told to me by a Jim Rome associate years ago) and has no national interest. If CRT is the second coming of The Bear and brings back Billy Clyde style excitement, that will change. Kind of like the building up of Wichita State basketball to national interest.

So...
A) Better networking
B) Solid street trustworthy sources (where UTEP recruits).
C) Keeping and building people like Alex. Those who are not afraid of talking to anyone other than just the coach. The coach(es) makes the product. The fans buy it (ticket sales, merchandise, advertising, etc).

IMO, with this "they will come".

Last edited:
Reactions: topminer
how come nobody is talking about this guy...4 stars
DjpWDDjU0AAl3P9.jpg:large

Reactions: MinerE
Anybody besides me remember our games with Air Force back in the WAC days? I think they had restrictions then where no student could be over 6'-5" and therefore they always had five 6'-5" players on the floor.

I don’t remember those games, but the 6’5” was due to the fact that anyone taller couldn’t fit in the cockpits of jets, etc. A supervisor of mine flew B-52’s and did say the same thing (Air Force academy grad). If you notice too, not too many y’all airline pilots either

Wont Utep have a bunch of Bigs next year?
Verhoeven will slide into the spot of the hybrid 3-4 that plays the perimeter and defends at the rim.

Williams is a true POWER forward at the college level and may dominate CUSA and be on his way after one season.

Eze is a center. A rim rockin/shot blockin talker that will be our enforcer/finisher and hopefully clean the glass.

Efe is a finesse player in a bull's body. It's unclear about his athleticism or defense at the moment. Time will tell.

We don't need any more small forwards or guards really. We will have 7 of them if all works out. There may be some attrition, but otherwise CRT can afford to be picky with his last 2 schollarships. I say we need a PF. Either a freshman who can compete or red shirt, or maybe even another transfer. Keep the last scolly in the pocket.

CRT is known for grooming forwards and highlighting them. Even though his offense may be guard oriented, they have always been anchored by a good PF.

Last edited:

Well that leaves us with 6 scholarship players for this season.

Well I’m confused. Which is it? He can play this year or not?

JCorona, I think the confusion is from Steve's choice of wording. He said that Lathan would "suit out" for 2018-19. That's a weird term that you probably quickly read as "sit out." Had Steve used the more common term "suit up" there probably wouldn't have been any confusion.

JCorona, I think the confusion is from Steve's choice of wording. He said that Lathan would "suit out" for 2018-19. That's a weird term that you probably quickly read as "sit out." Had Steve used the more common term "suit up" there probably wouldn't have been any confusion.
Good catch and that’s exactly what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT