ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

PG Derryck Thornton is transferring from USC and will be immediately eligible when he enters the portal. Not a great shooter, but a good assist guy has big time experience. He was probably a bit over rated coming out of HS and could reasonably drop down to a mid-major to rise his stock.

Tucker, Juiston and Drew are all still available..

Reactions: Lil_Train
For this upcoming season you mean?
Right. Honestly, why do we "need" to fill the spot for this upcoming season? Would a grad transfer at this point gel with the others quickly? Looking at our roster, we sure don't have it staggered very much. It looks like we are built to make a strong push the next couple years then we really barely have kids and start rebuilding again.
While I want to win now, I would also like to see him start building the team for the future as well. Unless of course he plans to be gone in 2 years....

Right. Honestly, why do we "need" to fill the spot for this upcoming season? Would a grad transfer at this point gel with the others quickly? Looking at our roster, we sure don't have it staggered very much. It looks like we are built to make a strong push the next couple years then we really barely have kids and start rebuilding again.
While I want to win now, I would also like to see him start building the team for the future as well. Unless of course he plans to be gone in 2 years....

Whether we bring in a grad transfer or not, we still have a scholarship open for a recruit from the class of 2020. A grad transfer would have only one year of eligibility. If we don't bring in a grad tranfer we waste a spot for this year. If we do bring one in we are still recruiting next year's crop of high school seniors. There really is no reason not to try to grab a quality grad transfer.

Whether we bring in a grad transfer or not, we still have a scholarship open for a recruit from the class of 2020. A grad transfer would have only one year of eligibility. If we don't bring in a grad tranfer we waste a spot for this year. If we do bring one in we are still recruiting next year's crop of high school seniors. There really is no reason not to try to grab a quality grad transfer.
Agree Maniac. Based on Terry's recruitment of Daryl Edwards, who ended up going back home to Fresno, he also sees a need on the team for another shooter and defender. I think if another experienced shooting guard comes available, he would be all over him for next year.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Exactly. And the cycle for recruiting a good freshman for 2019 is over..

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That's the Maniac I miss. Calling it like it is!:cool:

The way he's been recruiting, I would agree that he is going to keep the scholarship for a future player. He jumping on the class of 2021 and 2022 as he should

On paper, our shooting woes have still not been addressed. My hope is we bring in a grad transfer who can hit from deep. The more we can stretch the floor, the more impact our new interior guys can have, as well as our guards who are more adept at slashing to the hoop.
Bingo! Couldn't agree more.

On paper, our shooting woes have still not been addressed. My hope is we bring in a grad transfer who can hit from deep. The more we can stretch the floor, the more impact our new interior guys can have, as well as our guards who are more adept at slashing to the hoop.
This guy fits the bill 35% career from 3.

33. Shawn Occeus, 6-4, 208
pounds, SG, Jr., Northeastern

It's unclear whether Occeus will be a grad transfer, but if he does go that direction, he'll be a solid two-way player at his next stop. Averaged 9.9 points.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shawn-occeus-1.html

Coog! You are absolutely correct. I think I have been saying for quite a while that our biggest needs are.... outside shooters and/ or point guards. We have tons of slashers which is OK, buy no outside threats.

I don't know. I look at the guys devel posted and I have several thoughts. For one, while they are shooting over 30% from threes, they are averaging only 4 3s a game. Not overly impressive. My next thought is what makes anyone think they are even interested in coming this far west?
My final thought is why are they still available?
Look, I don't think just because we have a spot open we necessarily need to fill it just because. For all you guys know, Terry could give the scholarship to Campbell, which would be very well deserved. Jamming a guy into the roster just because we have a spot is dumb, IMHO. We could reach on a troubled freshman then redshirt him.
I think you guys are jumping the gun on the 3 point need. Have any of you seen our new team in action yet? Do you know Archie won't do well from 3? I thought you guys were stoked about Boum? Anyone see Jordan get hot from 3 last year....as a freshman????

If we get a grad transfer, fine. If we give the spot to campbell, fine. If we leave it open, fine. Just stop freaking out that we NEED a grad transfer to shoot 3s when 90% of our team is new already....geez

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I don't know. I look at the guys devel posted and I have several thoughts. For one, while they are shooting over 30% from threes, they are averaging only 4 3s a game. Not overly impressive. My next thought is what makes anyone think they are even interested in coming this far west?
My final thought is why are they still available?
Look, I don't think just because we have a spot open we necessarily need to fill it just because. For all you guys know, Terry could give the scholarship to Campbell, which would be very well deserved. Jamming a guy into the roster just because we have a spot is dumb, IMHO. We could reach on a troubled freshman then redshirt him.
I think you guys are jumping the gun on the 3 point need. Have any of you seen our new team in action yet? Do you know Archie won't do well from 3? I thought you guys were stoked about Boum? Anyone see Jordan get hot from 3 last year....as a freshman????

If we get a grad transfer, fine. If we give the spot to campbell, fine. If we leave it open, fine. Just stop freaking out that we NEED a grad transfer to shoot 3s when 90% of our team is new already....geez

I haven’t seen them in action aside from highlight vids. That’s why I said, “on paper”. I am high on Boum as a shooter, however all we did was trade Gilyard for him because they shoot at roughly the same clip. On paper this team shoots worse than last year’s team, which as we all know was gawd damn atrocious. WORSE THAN LAST YEAR. It’s not like any of the grad transfers above would light the world on fire however any who shoot over 30% from 3 would be helping this team...”on paper”.

Look 1966, bottom line is a poor shooting team is going to have a rough go of it, even if there are some interior guys who can bang. All a defense has to do is shrink in. If there is no space for Williams, Tarke, Efe, Verhoeven Efe or Eze it’s going to be tough to get to the rim when a team can just crowd the lane. How do you open the court up? Hit from outside. We have a CLEAR need for guys who can do that efficiently. That’s why damn near everyone here thinks a grad transfer who can shoot is needed. Again, we’re basing this off of previous performance...stats...paper. It’s kinda what we do here at Miner Digs. Let’s not kid ourselves that statistics are some contrived, baseless prediction.

I haven’t seen them in action aside from highlight vids. That’s why I said, “on paper”. I am high on Boum as a shooter, however all we did was trade Gilyard for him because they shoot at roughly the same clip. On paper this team shoots worse than last year’s team, which as we all know was gawd damn atrocious. WORSE THAN LAST YEAR. It’s not like any of the grad transfers above would light the world on fire however any who shoot over 30% from 3 would be helping this team...”on paper”.

Look 1966, bottom line is a poor shooting team is going to have a rough go of it, even if there are some interior guys who can bang. All a defense has to do is shrink in. If there is no space for Williams, Tarke, Efe, Verhoeven Efe or Eze it’s going to be tough to get to the rim when a team can just crowd the lane. How do you open the court up? Hit from outside. We have a CLEAR need for guys who can do that efficiently. That’s why damn near everyone here thinks a grad transfer who can shoot is needed. Again, we’re basing this off of previous performance...stats...paper. It’s kinda what we do here at Miner Digs. Let’s not kid ourselves that statistics are some contrived, baseless prediction.

Well said. It's a fact that Lathon and Hawkins did have some individual games where they shot well. It's also true that for the season they proved not to be efficient at all from the outside. If you look at the stats of our incoming players you will see that none of them shot the lights out from behind the arc either. Now it's possible that all of our players will work on their shots over the summer and that next year we'll look like Wofford from beyond the arc. But the coaching staff would be foolish to let next season ride on that. We need a shooter. Finding a grad transfer that fit the bill can only help, and it certainly can't hurt. Hopefully the staff kind find the right guy.

After losing out on Daryl Edwards to Fresno St., I keep coming back to Lindsey Drew.

Let me give you some info. He was a 3 year PG starter at a winning Nevada program and has tons of experience. He has led the MWC in assists 16-17 and has been on the all defensive team 17-18. He shot 80% FT and 39% 3-pt in 17-18.

Losing him to injury was a major factor in why Nevada didn't meet their expectations this year.

Despite recovering from injury, I think he would be an awesome 1 year addition in regards to experience, leadership, assists, defense and shooting ability. He could help our young guards progress too.

Oh and by the way, he is from Cali and had UTEP and Fresno St in his top 5 before committing to Nevada.

Last edited:

Oh I'm not arguing anything you are saying. In fact, I agree for the most part. I just don't think we MUST have a grad transfer that can shoot from outside. I wonder about a couple things. For one, if Terry thought it was a huge issue, why didn't he already go after someone during the recruiting process? And secondly, why hasn't he locked one up already since most real goods transfers are already gone?
As Maniac pointed out, Jordan and Hawkins did have a few games they lit it up last year. Is it possible they can do so with more frequency now that they are no longer freshmen and will settle into the D1 game? That's what I'm thinking...

One of my favorite Haskins quotes was "you always look good when your shots go in". ANY team/player can go cold and get blown out.

BUT....if we do get a transfer, I hope like hell he can nail like 5 3s a game....

So ya'll just let this slide right by without so much as a second look? An AAU coach from the Fresno area that has contacts all through the Bay area including a 5-Star prospect that is looking at UTEP?
Ask Bigwood what's going on as he appears to have an inside scoop on this but is keeping what maybe a Royal Flush or just a pair close well hidden and with a face that is stonier than a church statue?

As Maniac pointed out, Jordan and Hawkins did have a few games they lit it up last year. Is it possible they can do so with more frequency now that they are no longer freshmen and will settle into the D1 game? That's what I'm thinking...

I did point that out. And in a post I made several months ago I quoted an old expression, "the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." There is a definite possibility that, with a year under their belts and a good offseason, one or both of these guys can become the outside shooter(s) that we need.

The fact still remains, however, that these guys have yet to prove that they can consistently make shots from beyond the arc. And no one else on the team has proven that they can consistently hit from the outside either. Given that, the staff has to try to bring in a graduate transfer that's a proven shooter. Not having one makes things a lot tougher.

I did point that out. And in a post I made several months ago I quoted an old expression, "the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." There is a definite possibility that, with a year under their belts and a good offseason, one or both of these guys can become the outside shooter(s) that we need.

The fact still remains, however, that these guys have yet to prove that they can consistently make shots from beyond the arc. And no one else on the team has proven that they can consistently hit from the outside either. Given that, the staff has to try to bring in a graduate transfer that's a proven shooter. Not having one makes things a lot tougher.
Maniac!!!
You; once again are hitting the nail on the head. To be a "complete" team we must have outside threats. That's the only glaring aspect missing from an otherwise pretty good looking assembly of troops.
You are also correct about improvement from year to year. We can sure hope to see that in Hawkins, Lathon, Eze, etc. I recall seeing that in many players over the years, but on the contrary... not so with all of them.

Fact is, while the transfers mentioned have made over 30% from 3s, it desnt mean squat when they are only shooting 5 3s a game. I would argue that while our current guys haven't proven anything, neither have the transfers you guys are targeting...

one good thing about the transfers is that they've had extra time to work on their shots.

We don't, for example, know what kind of strides a guy like boum has made

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT