ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I think he's gonna have a lot of trouble getting his shot up at the D-1 level. Plus the 3-point line is moving back about 15 or 16 inches. Not sure how that will affect the shooters yets but the percentage of made 3-pointers is bound to go down.

Reactions: Miner Donkey
I think he's gonna have a lot of trouble getting his shot up at the D-1 level. Plus the 3-point line is moving back about 15 or 16 inches. Not sure how that will affect the shooters yets but the percentage of made 3-pointers is bound to go down.

Let's all hope he has a particular knack for getting wide open for that set shot (or Coach Terry has some great plays designed for that wide open shot).

Reactions: jdubb66
I agree Maniac. However, other than Lathon, I don't see another guy with point guard skills. The assumption is that Boum can fill in at the point, but I don't think that is optimal for him or the team. You don't want to go into a season one deep at any position. To me, this addition by the staff at this point reflects the fact that they need someone to backup Lathon.

Thanks for your thoughts, Train. The problem is that, on paper at least, this kid's playmaking skills don't seem that impressive. That's why I listed his assists and turnover numbers, and the 1.5 apg and .88 assist to turnover ratio at the JC level don't lead me to think that he will be any better a backup than what we have right now.

I totally agree with you Maniac and I value your insight. Just one thing, ".363 from deep" is not eye popping, but that is not that bad.

I agree that .363 isn't bad, but it's not that great either. We came into this offseason really needing two things: a good outside shooter and (as Train just pointed out) a backup at point guard. I don't really think that an okay, but not great, shooter without playmaking skills is worth burning a scholarship.

He hit 93/256 3-pointers last season. He is a high volume, behind the arc shooter and will hit his free throws at 85% as well. Apparently he can hit 3s in bunches if he gets off to a hot start. I don't think he will have much else to offer at this point and could even red shirt this season while he adjusts to D1 in practice. I'm not even sure that he is a scholarship player since the recruiting cycle is over, but if so I agree Terry should have kept that in his back pocket.

Good point, axingfools. If he's not on scholarship then I think it's a quality decision. If he is on scholarship then we're in agreement, Terry should have held on to it.

Is it just me or has CRTs freshman recruiting efforts been a bit poor the past few cycles so far? I like the transfers, but if we win and CRT leaves in 2 years then what will have left? The recruiting from the ground up needs to improve so this team can improve, not start over again in a few years.

For me, I am into the "wow, this team should be exciting to watch" aspect at this point. That aspirin moment is for another day.:p

Is it just me or has CRTs freshman recruiting efforts been a bit poor the past few cycles so far? I like the transfers, but if we win and CRT leaves in 2 years then what will have left? The recruiting from the ground up needs to improve so this team can improve, not start over again in a few years.
This is exactly why I don’t see him staying long and poaching some of our players like he did w/Fresno. Then again, I got flack for saying it so :cool:

This is exactly why I don’t see him staying long and poaching some of our players like he did w/Fresno. Then again, I got flack for saying it so :cool:

I disagree. Him getting transfers tells me he is going to stay a while. Or at least until the transfers are done. It would be pretty messed up if they have a good year and he leaves. I dont think Bryson Williams can transfer again?? Would he have to sit out again if he transferred??

I disagree. Him getting transfers tells me he is going to stay a while. Or at least until the transfers are done. It would be pretty messed up if they have a good year and he leaves. I dont think Bryson Williams can transfer again?? Would he have to sit out again if he transferred??
Williams would need to graduate in order to transfer to another D1 school.

Is 3-4 years 'a while?' I know its impossible to tell, but that's what CRT is looking at before likely moving on to a power 5. This would mean that he did well and won here at UTEP. The winning part I like. The starting over part I don't. I just hope we have some talent left if and when he leaves.

Last edited:
The year Terry makes the NCAA Tourney will be his last season here. If all goes according to plan, I would be very shocked if Terry is our coach after the 2020 season.

We got athletes! No more guys who get playing time because their only skill is taking charges. We have guys who can play. It's been a long time since we've had that at UTEP. I'm excited.
Do you think this team this year is going to be better than the 14-15 team? Even after losing M. Moore the year before, I thought they were the best CTF team that he ever fielded at UTEP (after his 1st season). That team was big, athletic, could score and defend and shoot 3's. They were a bad free throw team. Unfortunately they were not as deep in the backcourt as they could of been and never got over the hump. How does this year's team compare?

Reactions: minermx07
Do you think this team this year is going to be better than the 14-15 team? Even after losing M. Moore the year before, I thought they were the best CTF team that he ever fielded at UTEP (after his 1st season). That team was big, athletic, could score and defend and shoot 3's. They were a bad free throw team. Unfortunately they were not as deep in the backcourt as they could of been and never got over the hump. How does this year's team compare?
On paper, yes. I can't wait!

Reactions: minermx07
I think so. Additionally, I think Floyd became a net negative from an Xs and Os standpoint at the of his career. He kept sagging off shooters, too stubborn to realize that teams now want to shoot 3s and he kept giving them exactly what they wanted.

This is Coach Terry's first real year. I'm expecting a NIT appearance because now a days it's next to impossible to get a NCAA birth of you're from mid-major. 25 wins.

I think so. Additionally, I think Floyd became a net negative from an Xs and Os standpoint at the of his career. He kept sagging off shooters, too stubborn to realize that teams now want to shoot 3s and he kept giving them exactly what they wanted.

This is Coach Terry's first real year. I'm expecting a NIT appearance because now a days it's next to impossible to get a NCAA birth of you're from mid-major. 25 wins.
Mike D'antoni basketball. Strange because NBA puts emphasis on ten to fifteen foot range. If I remember correct that's what JWash had to work on.

Mike D'antoni basketball. Strange because NBA puts emphasis on ten to fifteen foot range. If I remember correct that's what JWash had to work on.
I thought today's basketball was about getting to the rim, the foul-line, and shooting threes.

Have you watched a Houston Rockets game with D'Antoni as coach? If someone shoots a mid-range shot there's ca good chance they're getting benched.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT