ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

So out of all the new recruits we have this year who do you all think will have the biggest impact?

Dissagee, Eze will be a starter and will make an impact in blocks and rebounds probably a freshman state line like 8ppg 8rpg 3blks

If he puts up that stat line as a freshman, that will be amazing. Antonio Davis averaged 8 rebounds only 1 season, Greg Foster averaged 7.3 as a Junior, Character got 8.1 in half a season. That means you’re expecting him to get big time minutes. I want to see where he is stamina wise and how he matches up with more experienced players who are his size. He will have to refine his game over time because I don’t know if he’s going to use his athleticism/size all the time like in HS.

Should be 'Night Hawk'.
Reports on line and here say the same thing. Expectations are growing fast for him as the season draws closer. However, freshman are freshman, expect a learning curve. I don't anticipate a Vincent Hunter like freshman year but it's great to have a guard not afraid to take it the tree's.

I think Hawkins and Efe will make an impact.
Hawkins without a doubt has more talent but Efe's
size will be something to deal with once he starts
to get used to D1 play. I will say that Efe will be
an impact come January.

GO Miners...

Reactions: minerfan_14
Dissagee, Eze will be a starter and will make an impact in blocks and rebounds probably a freshman state line like 8ppg 8rpg 3blks

Possibly, but that's due to the fact that he's going to have a lion's share of minutes due to our interior depth shortage.

Like most bigs out of hs, he's a project who'll need some polishing. I think Nigel is a potential impact player, regardless of circumstances

Reports on line and here say the same thing. Expectations are growing fast for him as the season draws closer. However, freshman are freshman, expect a learning curve. I don't anticipate a Vincent Hunter like freshman year but it's great to have a guard not afraid to take it the tree's.
I think Nighthawk might be a starter at the 2. Who would be a better candidate?

Reactions: axingfools1
I think it's a coin toss between Nighthawk and Eze. I don't feel that we must have " one"
most impactful player. We need multiple players to be impacts. My starring five is
Eze, Thomas, Osbourne, Hawkins and Gilyard. I think Efe must be the back up for Eze and expect him to be a force. I think we have some potential production from some of the walk-in ons.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If he puts up that stat line as a freshman, that will be amazing. Antonio Davis averaged 8 rebounds only 1 season, Greg Foster averaged 7.3 as a Junior, Character got 8.1 in half a season. That means you’re expecting him to get big time minutes. I want to see where he is stamina wise and how he matches up with more experienced players who are his size. He will have to refine his game over time because I don’t know if he’s going to use his athleticism/size all the time like in HS.
He's played against older players albeit in Canada. I didn't call him an All Conf player as a Freshman and not sure exactly how good he will be, just like all of us it's speculation. I responded to a post that said Hawk is the only Fr expected do anything. Everyone on here was excited to get this Kid Eze, now some of you wanna act like I'm the only one High on this Kid, lmao. Stick with it Miner Fans you're either excited about this Kid or you're not!? We don't know 100% what to expect from anyone, however I like this kids size and motor, so I expect an immediate impact Period!

Also, can’t wait to add this to your Paul Thomas prediction!!!!!
Last time I respond to your old trash meaningless played out garbage. Everyone knows I've contributed a million more times on this board than you with good info and predictions over the last 13 years. So again let this be the last time u ever call me out again or I will make a request that u be suspended or removed from this blog, and trust me I can make that happen. Now keep my name out of your mouth, thoughts or responses or wherever else they may come up. No one likes u bro get the Frikn Hint!

Reactions: miner1liner
He's played against older players albeit in Canada. I didn't call him an All Conf player as a Freshman and not sure exactly how good he will be, just like all of us it's speculation. I responded to a post that said Hawk is the only Fr expected do anything. Everyone on here was excited to get this Kid Eze, now some of you wanna act like I'm the only one High on this Kid, lmao. Stick with it Miner Fans you're either excited about this Kid or you're not!? We don't know 100% what to expect from anyone, however I like this kids size and motor, so I expect an immediate impact Period!

I didn’t jump off the bandwagon at all. I like the players we brought in. I absolutely expect the bigs to get thrown into the fire given the lack of depth and I think both have a legitimate shot to put up good numbers. I do like that Eze looks to have more explosiveness and Efe looks your classic bang down low type player so I’m sure that create matchup problems on their own. I’m just pointing out that 8 rebounds a game is a monster season that some of our better bigs in the last 30 years couldn’t reach consistently. If any of the bigs can immediately come in and dominate the boards like that this team can be dangerous.

I didn’t jump off the bandwagon at all. I like the players we brought in. I absolutely expect the bigs to get thrown into the fire given the lack of depth and I think both have a legitimate shot to put up good numbers. I do like that Eze looks to have more explosiveness and Efe looks your classic bang down low type player so I’m sure that create matchup problems on their own. I’m just pointing out that 8 rebounds a game is a monster season that some of our better bigs in the last 30 years couldn’t reach consistently. If any of the bigs can immediately come in and dominate the boards like that this team can be dangerous.
I say this by default he's gonna be the starter, due to lack of depth. Depending on foul trouble he may play 25-30 min and may not score much at first, but should get plenty of boards.

Come Jan we will see a different team. Efe and Eze will
be a force come tourney time. For some reason I think
Efe will surprise a lot of folks.

GO Miners...

I think both of those guys look pretty good --- as always with young big men it's about foul trouble! .... I am actually pretty excited to see this years team even if we are below average... we actually might not be that bad this year...

Reactions: JeeberD
I know I am covering all the bases here but either these kids ball out as freshmen and we make some noise or it will be a valuable learning experience and this team will be way improved next year. Either way I am excited to see what these guys develop into.

The way I see it, Hawkins and Eze are going to be our top recruits no
doubt but Efe will improve a lot before the year comes to an end.
Next year we might be in the top 5 in the conference. Year 3
under Coach Terry's belt we will be fighting for a title.

Go Miners...

I would have said Stroud as of right now. The kid just looks like a big time baller in his videos. A lot of our prop 48 players have turned out to be pretty good, so I'm hoping he stays busy all year and comes out strong in 19'

I am most excited about Eze. He was the only player in his league to average a double double. He played well in the Canadian all star game against some high level recruits. He seems very grounded and is the big boy that we need for future success. If can rebound and block shots, that will be just fine for his 1st season. Hopefully he can take some pressure off of PT offensively, but our I think our guards will have to do most of the scoring this year.

I have been busier than hell lately,,,, anyone hearing what style of basketball we are going to see ?

I have been busier than hell lately,,,, anyone hearing what style of basketball we are going to see ?
Some of what Barnes ran at UT and some of Billy Clyde, unlike Floyd who preferred slow it down, set up variants of a motion offense with emphasis of getting it inside to the big men. Floyd would play up tempo but did not prefer to play up tempo. My understanding is CRT is the opposite.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106

You know you can look up stats right? Fresno was 85th nationally in scoring last year at 76.8 ppg. UTEP was 308th at 67.5 ppg. Based on those numbers, you can generally believe it will be faster paced than anything Floyd had done

Reactions: El Paso 1
Shovel--- what part of busier than hell did you not understand out of that??? And plus coaches have been known to change styles to fit personnel --- and just because they (Fresno) averaged more points than utep really doesn't mean anything--- they could have played at the same pace and had much better shooters than ours for all you know--- or a lot of players that could get to the free throw line....

Shovel--- what part of busier than hell did you not understand out of that??? And plus coaches have been known to change styles to fit personnel --- and just because they (Fresno) averaged more points than utep really doesn't mean anything--- they could have played at the same pace and had much better shooters than ours for all you know--- or a lot of players that could get to the free throw line....

So you have time to read, post, and reply on the board, but not 2 mins to google and look for stats?

Reactions: El Paso 1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT