ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

That’s a good question. I think there is a chance Stroud doesn’t stay, just because he’s sitting out for the year. Obviously the transfers stay. Efe and Eze seem to major building blocks down low. So I am going to be going out on a limb here and say that Gillyard, Osbourne and Magee may playing for their lives. Terry brought in a lot of G/F type players so that creates a massive logjam come next year.
That’s the way I see it too. It has to be one of Floyd’s guys. Of the three I would lean towards Magee/Osborne. Even though Osbourne will be a senior and I don’t think he would want to sit out a year to transfer. But he could go D2 and play a lot of minutes his senior year. I think Gillyard is our starting PG until he graduates.

That’s the way I see it too. It has to be one of Floyd’s guys. Of the three I would lean towards Magee/Osborne. Even though Osbourne will be a senior and I don’t think he would want to sit out a year to transfer. But he could go D2 and play a lot of minutes his senior year. I think Gillyard is our starting PG until he graduates.

I am basing this on nothing other than the fact that will be a logjam at the 1-3 spots next year and Terry is still offering guards for 2019. Personally I like all 3, but I can see where one, if not all three are gone by next year. There are several transfers who could potentially fill those roles going into next year. I want to see how these guys play in Terry’s system, if it is uptempo that definitely favors Gillyard.

I don't see Gilyard going anywhere. He will be an all-conference player if the offense is truely up-tempo. He is gritty, gets to the line and works hard on defense as well. I think McGee is a very savy player and shoots very well from range. It has already been mentioned by Terry (and PT) that Osborne has an inconsistent effort. If that doesn't change then Stroud or Tarke or even Verhoeven will take over the 3 spot real quick. Next year the 2 and 3 spots will be a battle and the team will be deep. I suspect any incoming freshman will likely redshirt unless they are absolute studs.

Reactions: miner1liner
I don't see Gilyard going anywhere. He will be an all-conference player if the offense is truely up-tempo. He is gritty, gets to the line and works hard on defense as well. I think McGee is a very savy player and shoots very well from range. It has already been mentioned by Terry (and PT) that Osborne has an inconsistent effort. If that doesn't change then Stroud or Tarke or even Verhoeven will take over the 3 spot real quick. Next year the 2 and 3 spots will be a battle and the team will be deep. I suspect any incoming freshman will likely redshirt unless they are absolute studs.

Osborne is our returning high scorer and he led The Miners in points during conference play last year. Imagine his potential if he can find a way to make it all click?

"Hold on. Nothing is the same..." Santana "Hold on".

We shall wait and see.

Coach Terry is going to have his work cut out for him making sure that these players all return next year. It’s one thing to bring these kids in, but it’s another thing to keep them and reap the rewards of 3-4 years of development and growth.

What makes you think this kids won't stay. I would say a good 90 pct will follow him.
Look some of the Fresno players are coming over. Time will tell it's way too early to
make statements like the one you stated.

Go Miners....

Agree or disagree I think defensively we should do a very soft full court press on a consistent basis and that would improve our defense because the team would have less time to setup and get into their offense ... since they have a 30 second shot clock..

Beginning August 1, 2016, NCAA Division I will require 10 core courses to be completed prior to the seventh semester (seven of the 10 must be a combination of English, math or natural or physical science that meet the distribution requirements).[4] These 10 courses become "locked in" at the start of the seventh semester and cannot be retaken for grade improvement.

Beginning August 1, 2016, it will be possible for a Division I college-bound student-athlete to still receive athletics aid and the ability to practice with the team if he or she fails to meet the 10 course requirement, but would not be able to compete.

What you posted is what high school athletes must complete prior to the last semester of their senior year. If the kid completed the requirements in the last semester of his/her senior year they become a partial qualifier and will be able to practice but not compete. Most kids do not have a problem with the course requirements, but do have difficulty with SAT/ACT scores. Those kids can continue to take the test up to the start of class in hopes of improving their score so that they will become fully eligible.

Some kids are classified as Non Qualifiers. If Stroud is in that boat the NCAA website states, "Final nonqualifier: You may not practice or compete with your team or receive an athletics scholarship during your first year of full-time college enrollment."

The reason kids reclassify is because they have not met the 10 course requirement before the middle of their senior year. That seemed to be the case with Stroud. I also think he did not have good enough SAT/ACT scores either. The NCAA uses a sliding scale of SAT/ACT scores with a students GPA. At the top is 3.550 or higher requires only an SAT score of 400 or an ACT combined score of 37. At the other end of the spectrum is a GPA of 2.00 where a student must have 1020 SAT and 86 ACT combined to be eligible.

Julian Washburn and Matt Willms were Final Nonqualifiers and had to pay their own way their freshmen year and could not practice with the team.

What you posted is what high school athletes must complete prior to the last semester of their senior year. If the kid completed the requirements in the last semester of his/her senior year they become a partial qualifier and will be able to practice but not compete. Most kids do not have a problem with the course requirements, but do have difficulty with SAT/ACT scores. Those kids can continue to take the test up to the start of class in hopes of improving their score so that they will become fully eligible.

Some kids are classified as Non Qualifiers. If Stroud is in that boat the NCAA website states, "Final nonqualifier: You may not practice or compete with your team or receive an athletics scholarship during your first year of full-time college enrollment."

The reason kids reclassify is because they have not met the 10 course requirement before the middle of their senior year. That seemed to be the case with Stroud. I also think he did not have good enough SAT/ACT scores either. The NCAA uses a sliding scale of SAT/ACT scores with a students GPA. At the top is 3.550 or higher requires only an SAT score of 400 or an ACT combined score of 37. At the other end of the spectrum is a GPA of 2.00 where a student must have 1020 SAT and 86 ACT combined to be eligible.

Julian Washburn and Matt Willms were Final Nonqualifiers and had to pay their own way their freshmen year and could not practice with the team.
So do we know for a fact that Stroud is a "final nonqualifier"? Just curious?

Nice info thanks!

How in the world can a student reclassify from high school to college if they haven't met high schools requirements?

Vince Hunter was a final qualifier when he barely passed the ACT requirements.

Nice info thanks!

How in the world can a student reclassify from high school to college if they haven't met high schools requirements?

Stroud was going to reclassify to graduate high school in 2019. That would have allowed him to complete the required course work, ten core classes, with the chance that he would obtain an SAT/ACT score good enough to match his GPA.

Reactions: axingfools1
So do we know for a fact that Stroud is a "final nonqualifier"? Just curious?

I do not have any inside information at to his status with the clearing house. You can surmise the he would be a final nonqualifier because:
1. He was going to reclassify for 2019
2. That it has been reported that he will not play this year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Nice info thanks!

Stroud obviously met the requirements to graduate from high school. He also obviously has met the less than strenuous requirements to enroll in UTEP. The NCAA has its own set of guidelines, which he unfortunately doesn't meet.

Stroud was going to reclassify to graduate high school in 2019. That would have allowed him to complete the required course work, ten core classes, with the chance that he would obtain an SAT/ACT score good enough to match his GPA.
Stroud just finished his junior season of high school. He has always been class of 2019. He reclassified up to 2018, not down. He must have completed requirements to graduate high school, but not do enough to qualify to play D1 this year. I think you have it backwards Stan. My question to him would be why? I'm glad he is here, but isn't he missing a lot of playing time and potential opportunity? It would be nice if we could just ask him.

He did indeed graduate high school early. This brings up a new questions. So he must be a partial qualifier. It makes sense that he did not complete the 10 core courses before the middle of his senior year since he graduated early. My next guess us that he thought the practices with college players would be better than anything he would get out of another year of high school basketball.

Last edited:
Just speculation, but it could be that Stroud felt his path to gain eligibility next year as a freshman was more feasible as a Prop at UTEP, rather than spending another year in prep school. At UTEP, he will need to pass 24 course hours to be eligible as a freshman next year. At that point, he would still have 5 years to play 4, like all other typical incoming freshmen. One thing though is that he is not on scholarship this year, and would need to pay his own way this year. A good example would be a guy like Matt Willms, who also spent time at Prep school, but was still a non-qualifier, and still ended up needing to sit out the year. My guess is it related to the SAT/ACT test scores, and the NCAA clearinghouse.

Just speculation, but it could be that Stroud felt his path to gain eligibility next year as a freshman was more feasible as a Prop at UTEP, rather than spending another year in prep school. At UTEP, he will need to pass 24 course hours to be eligible as a freshman next year. At that point, he would still have 5 years to play 4, like all other typical incoming freshmen. One thing though is that he is not on scholarship this year, and would need to pay his own way this year. A good example would be a guy like Matt Willms, who also spent time at Prep school, but was still a non-qualifier, and still ended up needing to sit out the year. My guess is it related to the SAT/ACT test scores, and the NCAA clearinghouse.
Well stated my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Wait a minute! That was clear, sober, "Let's look at the facts", appear to be sourced comment. Am I on MI.com?!

Speaking of UTEP Prop 48 players, I saw a tidbit that last year's guy, Taj Royster, is now playing in Lavar Ball's JBA league; forgoing his college eligibility. Definitely not promoting the talent level in the made up league, but I do think Royster could have potentially provided some help inside this year if he had been able to gain his eligibility.

Last edited:
Speaking of UTEP Prop 48 players, I saw a tidbit that last year's guy, Taj Royster, is now playing in Lavar Ball's JBA league; forgoing his college eligibility. He could have potentially provided some help inside this year if he had been able to gain his eligibility.
Too bad.

"Ball said he was partly motivated by the comments made earlier in the month by NCAA president Mark Emmert, who was asked at a SportsBusiness Journal conference whether Ball was good or bad for the college game.

"Is this about someone being part of a university and playing basketball or any other sport with that school's jersey on, representing that institution, or is it about preparing me for my career, my professional career as a ballplayer?" Emmert responded, just a few days after Ball's son LiAngelo left UCLA to turn pro before even playing for the school. "If it's the latter, you can do that inside a university and that might be a really good way to go. But if you don't want to and you don't think that it's right for your family, then don't come."

"He was right," Ball said. "Those kids who are one-and-done. They shouldn't be there with the NCAA trying to hold them hostage, not allowing them to keep the jersey they wear while selling replicas of them in stores. So our guy isn't going to go to Florida State for a year. He's going to come to our league."" http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

Ummmm....no one is holding a young person hostage in NCAA sports. But let's be honest, going back to post WWII/Korea, a young person today has many options as compared to their grandfathers and great grandfathers. Military, college/junior college, tech training, join the workforce (to get hands on training), some college and work force or live in parents basement (not kidding, that is a choice millions of young people choose) just to name some. College was not an option for the older generation until the GI bill came out. And now Mr. Ball wants to give another option to top talent high school players. I think that is great, but don't cloud the issue.

What I like about Ball, and it ain't much, is that he's not taking the traditional path that's been paved by the NCAA and the NBA. He's forging his own path. Using his own talents and ingenuity to carve out success for himself and his kids. It takes nerve and belief in yourself to stray from the pack especially when there are so many forces trying to force feed a system down your throat.

Sad if that’s the case. I just pointed out a spelling error. Oops, looks like too many ppl took the bait.
So are you purposely baiting us now? You asked a question and some of us gave our opinion. He certainly isn’t the first recruit to type minors instead of miners and I can guarantee there will be more. I have noticed on this or the other recruiting thread that same typo. I disregard it as a teenager mistake or their phone associating the word miner with a word they more commonly use (minor) and automatically replacing it.

So are you purposely baiting us now? You asked a question and some of us gave our opinion. He certainly isn’t the first recruit to type minors instead of miners and I can guarantee there will be more. I have noticed on this or the other recruiting thread that same typo. I disregard it as a teenager mistake or their phone associating the word miner with a word they more commonly use (minor) and automatically replacing it.

That happens a lot on my cell phone when I am typing. The words get
changed. Sometimes I don't double check and I send the messages with
errors.

Go Miners...

You know maybe just me but the more I read and see about this years team we may not be that bad.... what would you all consider a successful year? How many wins?

You know maybe just me but the more I read and see about this years team we may not be that bad.... what would you all consider a successful year? How many wins?
If we hit .500, I think that will be a good year given we only have 8 scholy players. Practices will be good. That will be a win in terms of development and game-time expectations.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If we hit .500, I think that will be a good year given we only have 8 scholy players. Practices will be good. That will be a win in terms of development and game-time expectations.

I really think we will be winning 19 or 20 games.
I know the expectations are high for 19-20; but this team has some good players
and will surprise a lot of teams.

Go Miners...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT