ADVERTISEMENT

December signing day thread

Dec 22, 2016
So I know the football recruiting post is a very deep thread, figured someone can post the fresh signings today and we can discuss and everyone can be up to date on a fresh thread.

Side note: Sports Talk Carlos and crew, we know UTEP sucks, we know UTEP doesn't recruit four star recruits, we know UTEP hasn't won a bowl game since the 60's, we know there will be recruits with ZERO FBS offers, we know Dimel was the worst hire in FBS history, but I'm still a die hard fan regardless and interested in who UTEP is going after, so please do not hijack this thread with your bullshit, haven't been keeping up with recruiting and hope this thread can help all UTEP Fans looking for info none of that childish bullshit you be bringing.

Thanks and have a great day.

Getting to Goodwin to sign early was a major key. I think I read somewhere Hankins will sign late which looks bad on Dimel.

But really happy to have Goodwin locked in. Wonder if he enrolls early.

I also like the Mayers signing, anytime we can get a kid from big time program from Dallas or Houston it looks good, not sure if he's a legit prospect, but I like when coaches recruit those type of schools. Reedy's only loss was to Aledo who will probably win a state championship this weekend. not a bad start to the day in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MINER.JAY
Goodwin is a potentially big signee for our program and I have read that he will be here next month and then participating in spring ball.

Mayers has video as both an OL and DT. I wasn't overly impressed with him as a DT, but I do think that he moves well as an O-linemen, I would assume that we are bringing him in as a guard?

As for Hankins, I wonder if this post from Q. Workman's father is related to him?, is it possible that Parkland did not want to set up a signing celebration ceremony until February?

Last edited:
Goodwin is a potentially big signee for our program and I have read that he will be here next starting month and then participating in spring ball.

Mayers has video as both an OL and DT. I wasn't overly impressed with him as a DT, but I do think that he moves well as an O-linemen, I would assume that we are bringing him in as a guard?

As for Hankins, I wonder if this post from Q. Workman's father is related to him?, is it possible that Parkland did not want to set up a signing celebration ceremony until February?

Good find UTEPD.

If that's the case, that's dumb on Parkland, I don't think they'd do that, but you never know...really would love to know what exactly this is referencing.

Although not recruiting related for this year, I was wondering if there was any word on Zuri Henry. He was possibly Dimel's best freshman recruit last year, and was playing well at LT until he collapsed after a home game. Hope he is ok, and can suit up next year.

If this wait until Feb 6 plan is causing parents to be angry , then UTEP needs to scrap this plan right now. It would suck to lose a good recruit because of this. We need to be concerned with winning games not a stupid luncheon.

If this wait until Feb 6 plan is causing parents to be angry , then UTEP needs to scrap this plan right now. It would suck to lose a good recruit because of this. We need to be concerned with winning games not a stupid luncheon.
If that is the case, Dimel botched this terribly and now I went from positive to pissed..

ST Carlos, you are now allowed to roast anyone related to UTEP on this thread. LMAO ;)

I dont like it when guys postpone their signings until February. That means they're still looking. January gives them the chance to make three visits. UTEP's chance of signing them drops significantly. Not good.

Goodwin is a potentially big signee for our program and I have read that he will be here next month and then participating in spring ball.

I know I'm old school, but if he is referring to UTEP, then it's also a shame that his son half committed to a school while leaving himself opens for better offers. What's the difference? If you sign with a school then stick with it and be happy for yourself when you are announced. I get the feeling Workman and his dad think they are better than UTEP. Just my take.

In regards to Hankins, he committed early with other big offers on the table. It would be unusual for him to flip now, but I understand it could still happen.

Not mad about this one bit, saw him tuck his tail between his legs when Parkland played and lost in the playoffs this year when they double teamed him and was dropping passes because he was pouting the entire game and the only one doing work was Hankins. I will say it would have been nice to get him to make our class look nice with the recruiting ratings, but I think the kid isn't mentally tough nor mature to be a productive player at the FBS level in my opinion, would have posted the same thing if UTEP signed him. Wish him nothing but the best tho and hope it works out for him and hope he proves me wrong except against us...

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Not mad about this one bit, saw him tuck his tail between his legs when Parkland played and lost in the playoffs this year when they double teamed him and was dropping passes because he was pouting the entire game and the only one doing work was Hankins. I will say it would have been nice to get him to make our class look nice with the recruiting ratings, but I think the kid isn't mentally tough nor mature to be a productive player at the FBS level in my opinion, would have posted the same thing if UTEP signed him. Wish him nothing but the best tho and hope it works out for him and hope he proves me wrong except against us...

I’m sure there have been many since I didn’t really keep up with recruiting that much before. Is this one of the rare times we lose a local recruit to a conference rival?

I’m sure there have been many since I didn’t really keep up with recruiting that much before. Is this one of the rare times we lose a local recruit to a conference rival?
I would say this is def the most recent and maybe the only one, can't think of anyone else local who went C-USA and not UTEP.

Reactions: JCorona
For what its worth, UTEP now has 4 commitments that are more highly rated than any player from last years recruiting class (aside from Locksley).
Hankins (RB), Elmore (DE), Goodwin (QB) and Carter (WR). We also have our other top 2 recruits from 2018 Nwachukwu (WR) and Garrett (WR) coming off of redshirts.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I wonder how much of Hankins not signing today had to do with UTEP's decision not to announce it's class?

UTEP needs to build a wall around El Paso/Hankins during the next month and a half, because if we lose Hankins then that will be a really big blow.

I would have liked to have gotten Lyles, but the writing had been on the wall for a while that he wasn't coming to UTEP. He was always looking for "better offers", which is why I am kinda surprised that he signed with anybody today. He might have gotten those better offers had he just waited until February and schools started to look over the available remaining recruits.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I wonder how much of Hankins not signing today had to do with UTEP's decision not to announce it's class?

UTEP needs to build a wall around El Paso/Hankins during the next month and a half, because if we lose Hankins then that will be a really big blow.

I would have liked to have gotten Lyles, but the writing had been on the wall for a while that he wasn't coming to UTEP. He was always looking for "better offers", which is why I am kinda surprised that he signed with anybody today. He might have gotten those better offers had he just waited until February and schools started to look over the available remaining recruits.

I think the odds we sign Hankins dropped significantly when he didnt sign today. Its means his recruitment is still open and he will take visits in in January.

I don’t see this playing out well for Dimel and UTEP if they’re waiting on Hankins. Bad move. He can flip and in the process cost us a couple of commits. I get the whole we’re a team thinking but at the same time let’s announce and celebrate the kids that are have signed and are already part of the team.

Khalib had a TT offer and some other P5s. I would have gone with Lubbock cuz most know Littrell is one of the next coaches to bolt for a P5 job.

Lyles signing today, while his teammate doesn't certainly is not ideal for us.
I agree. My understanding was that Hankins had planned on signing in February, so him not signing during the December period shouldn't be a shock; not good, but not surprising. It would be ridiculous for UTEP to choose to wait on one recruit, and I hope that is not the case here.

I am here to tell you that Workman is a better receiver than Lyles. Workman is 6'5" in socks and has an 80" wingspan. Chapin coaches did not use him well at all when I saw them play. The kid would have led the state in receiving if he had played at Del Valle or Eastwood.
If Chapin had a real QB he would have racked up mad yards, McKeever is another FBS level type of TE or WR who was forced to play QB in a sense.

I fully agree with you Stanman.

Saw Q go across the middle and snatch a ball when they played Parkland, took a big hit, and still hauled in the rock, you're right, Chapin didn't use him on offense well enough, but he runs good routes, and isn't scared to mix it up with LB's or DB's.

I am here to tell you that Workman is a better receiver than Lyles. Workman is 6'5" in socks and has an 80" wingspan. Chapin coaches did not use him well at all when I saw them play. The kid would have led the state in receiving if he had played at Del Valle or Eastwood.

I only hope UTEP can land a QB who can pass the football effectively. All the talent in the world at receiver doesn't do UTEP any good if the QB cant pass.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Great point.

every school is announcing today, but Dimel has decided not to. That's lame as hell.

WOW! One of my many criticisms of Stull is how he liked to keep everything so close to the vest, how he tried so diligently to control every piece of information about UTEP athletics. Examples include forcing the El Paso Times to change beat writers because Darren Hunt was critical of Gary Nord; finding out that Gio and Tofi had signed their NLIs from west coast sources about a week before UTEP released the information, as they were waiting until the whole class had signed (this type of thing often happened under Stull with basketball signings); and punishing all media outlets who covered the Stephon Jackson/Willie Harden incident. Still, even with his tight control of information, Stull still allowed the UTEP Athletics website to post info on football signings on signing day as the NLIs rolled in. I was hoping with new leadership that UTEP Athletics would be more forthcoming with information, as there is no better way to create buzz for the programs. Waiting until February 6 to announce the whole class at once? That's ridiculous! Of course somewhere Stull is jealous that he didn't think of this first, and is in awe of Senter and Dimel. Me? I'm pissed.

Personally, I don't mind waiting until February 6th to see the class. But by UTEP handling it this way leads to A LOT of negative speculation. UTEP didn't even give advance notice that this was how they were going to handle this, even local media appeared surprised on Twitter this morning. Then to make it worse, UTEP didn't even announce that they would be handling it this way until signing day, after other schools had already started announcing their signee's.

One can easily speculate that we probably wouldn't be waiting to announce our class if we were proud of our class and if recruiting was going well. Instead, by making this type of extreme decision, which is opposite to almost every other program in the country, only leads to speculation that there is a bad reason why we aren't doing the same. It appears to show that we aren't keeping up with essentially every other school. It leads to speculation that we are not proud of what we would be announcing, so we will wait and see if it improves...

That is my concern. Sometimes perception is worse than the tangible reality, but people will form their opinions based on the perception, especially when this is all of the information that they have to go on. All of these reasons make today a bad PR mismanagement by UTEP.

Personally, I don't mind waiting until February 6th to see the class. But by UTEP handling it this way leads to A LOT of negative speculation. UTEP didn't even give advance notice that this was how they were going to handle this, even local media appeared surprised on Twitter this morning. Then to make it worse, UTEP didn't even announce that they would be handling it this way until signing day, after other schools had already started announcing their signee's.

One can easily speculate that we probably wouldn't be waiting to announce our class if we were proud of our class and if recruiting was going well. Instead, by making this type of extreme decision, which is opposite to almost every other program in the country, only leads to speculation that there is a bad reason why we aren't doing the same. It appears to show that we aren't keeping up with essentially every other school. It leads to speculation that we are not proud of what we would be announcing, so we will wait and see if it improves...

That is my concern. Sometimes perception is worse than the tangible reality, but people will form their opinions based on the perception, especially when this is all of the information that they have to go on. All of these reasons make today a bad PR mismanagement by UTEP.
+100

Yes, we're selfish fans who want names, but how are supposed to improve the perception of our behind the times football program when Incarnate Word is out here putting out solid edits, and all of their coaches are showing love to their players and families on social media and their kids are eating it up. INCARNATE FREAKING WORD. (I wanted their HC over anyone when Dimel was hired)

To repeat, bad PR mistake by UTEP when they need all the sunshine and roses they can earn, like you said looks like really bad.

WOW! One of my many criticisms of Stull is how he liked to keep everything so close to the vest, how he tried so diligently to control every piece of information about UTEP athletics. Examples include forcing the El Paso Times to change beat writers because Darren Hunt was critical of Gary Nord; finding out that Gio and Tofi had signed their NLIs from west coast sources about a week before UTEP released the information, as they were waiting until the whole class had signed (this type of thing often happened under Stull with basketball signings); and punishing all media outlets who covered the Stephon Jackson/Willie Harden incident. Still, even with his tight control of information, Stull still allowed the UTEP Athletics website to post info on football signings on signing day as the NLIs rolled in. I was hoping with new leadership that UTEP Athletics would be more forthcoming with information, as there is no better way to create buzz for the programs. Waiting until February 6 to announce the whole class at once? That's ridiculous! Of course somewhere Stull is jealous that he didn't think of this first, and is in awe of Senter and Dimel. Me? I'm pissed.
If you'll recall, I think Terry did the same thing . He chose to wait and announce the whole class at once; not one by one. I questioned that at the time as well.

Reactions: picks up
This ain’t even about the fans. I would have never thought about it until Q’s dad’s tweet was posted.

This is like telling our young kids I know all your friends are opening gifts and having dinner with their families on Christmas but we’re going to wait until Valentine’s Day to open our gifts.

Remember when we all gave Dimel a pass for not signing anyone in the early signing period last year because he was just hired and also thought it was more important to coach a meaningless bowl for K-State instead of recruiting? Just a thought

With all the negativity surrounding the football program, UTEP should have seized the opportunity and allow these kids to announce their signing with us. This helps in two ways, we lock our recruits and highlight the fact that these players are eager to sign with us. Players on the fence will follow the solid players who pulled the trigger. UTEP can’t afford to wait till February and risk other schools from stealing these recruits. It’s happened to us before. We’re dealing with 18 year olds who can easily change their minds and we need to have them sign their NLI and let them make a big splash at their respective High Schools. UTEP should also get the local media involved to cover the signing. UTEP needs to change their approach and make it special for each recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT