ADVERTISEMENT

December signing day thread

With all the negativity surrounding the football program, UTEP should have seized the opportunity and allow these kids to announce their signing with us. This helps in two ways, we lock our recruits and highlight the fact that these players are eager to sign with us. Players on the fence will follow the solid players who pulled the trigger. UTEP can’t afford to wait till February and risk other schools from stealing these recruits. It’s happened to us before. We’re dealing with 18 year olds who can easily change their minds and we need to have them sign their NLI and let them make a big splash at their respective High Schools. UTEP should also get the local media involved to cover the signing. UTEP needs to change their approach and make it special for each recruit.

Dimel is not a rookie. I’m sure he has good reason.

Reactions: axingfools1
You people really making a big deal out of nothing. Who cares if Dimel wants to wait until Feb 6th to announce his class. Do we really need a official announcement?? The kids are posting on twitter. We already know who is coming.

For what it’s worth, I think that the signee’s that we know about appear to be good quality. The DB’s and O-Lineman are a bit more “To Be Determined” in my opinion, but everyone else looks like a higher level of talent than what we have had recently. Dimel is also getting kids with more size than we have had recently.

In addition, I don’t know if we seem to be taking Goodwin for granted simply because we have known about him for so long, but him becoming official today could potentially be a really big deal for us. I don’t think that we have ever signed a 6’5” QB who both moves as well as he does and is also a true pocket passing QB. He slides well in the pocket, he almost always keeps his head down field while he scrambles and he can throw both the 20 yard out with accuracy and the 45+ yard deep pass with touch. We also have the potential to add Hankins to this class, who would be the highest rated recruit that UTEP has ever signed according to 247sports(although I am not sure what year they began keeping track of their rankings for UTEP).

I am sure that UTEP had a reason for not announcing today and we might even find out later out that it was a very good reason. But with that being said, they still should have set the expectation in advance and handled today much better from a PR standpoint.

For what it’s worth, I think that the signee’s that we know about appear to be good quality. The DB’s and O-Lineman are a bit more “To Be Determined” in my opinion, but everyone else looks like a higher level of talent than what we have had recently. Dimel is also getting kids with more size than we have had recently.

In addition, I don’t know if we seem to be taking Goodwin for granted simply because we have known about him for so long, but him becoming official today could potentially be a really big deal for us. I don’t think that we have ever signed a 6’5” QB who both moves as well as he does and is also a true pocket passing QB. He slides well in the pocket, he almost always keeps his head down field while he scrambles and he can throw both the 20 yard out with accuracy and the 45+ yard deep pass with touch. We also have the potential to add Hankins to this class, who would be the highest rated recruit that UTEP has ever signed according to 247sports(although I am not sure what year they began keeping track of their rankings for UTEP).

I am sure that UTEP had a reason for not announcing today and we might even find out later out that it was a very good reason. But with that being said, they still should have set the expectation in advance and handled today much better from a PR standpoint.

I am excited to see what Goodwin brings to the table but in all honesty I just hope Kai or Jones get it together so that he can redshirt and adjust to college. I want to give Goodwin as much time as he needs to adjust to the college game.

Reactions: axingfools1
I am excited to see what Goodwin brings to the table but in all honesty I just hope Kai or Jones get it together so that he can redshirt and adjust to college. I want to give Goodwin as much time as he needs to adjust to the college game.
I tend to agree, but on the other hand I would play him if I saw that he was a game changer. We desperatly need a good QB.

I agree, in that I doubt that he will come in here and have an immediate impact, but I do think that 2 or 3 years down the road he has a chance to become our true #1 QB. I don’t think that I can say that about any of the other 3 young QB’s on our roster, which is a positive sign that we upgraded our talent today at the most important position on the field.

I tend to agree, but on the other hand I would play him if I saw that he was a game changer. We desperatly need a good QB.

Very few true freshmen are game changers, and I would love for him (or any player for that matter) to sit because I think we would all prefer they have that 5th year in the program. I know it may hurt in the short term but if this kid is what we hope he is then it will pay dividends down the road. Plus I’m not ready to write Kai off just yet. Everyone knows what he needs to improve on so let’s see what he does this off season.

Reactions: utep-piggy
On a related note, two El Paso HS football players were selected to the 5A Texas All State team. Hankins from Parkland was a second team selection, while Griffin from Andress was honorable mention. Does anyone know if UTEP is recruiting Griffin?

What’s the reason? Better be damn good one. I’m tired of UTEP always playing second fiddle. And damn tired of the secretive nature of UTEP sports.

It's probably because his class isn't that impressive and hopefully by February it gets better.

It's like in school when you got good grades you wanted to show your parents your report card right away, but if you got bad grades you wanted to hide it.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
I’m assuming the class is incomplete, and that’s one of the main reasons for the delay.

Only four of the commits have signed. He still has another two scholarships to offer. Dimel might also need extra time to clear up space on the roster.

I’m assuming the class is incomplete, and that’s one of the main reasons for the delay.

Only four of the commits have signed. He still has another two scholarships to offer. Dimel might also need extra time to clear up space on the roster.

This staff has been on the recruiting trail for the last year and they have recruiting personnel whose only purpose is to recruit. If they have only signed four kids at this time I would think this is a very bad omen. From what I understand UTEP has 12-15 scholarships to offer this year. If they cant find 15 kids to play here I think the long term prognosis for improvement is poor.

This staff has been on the recruiting trail for the last year and they have recruiting personnel whose only purpose is to recruit. If they have only signed four kids at this time I would think this is a very bad omen. From what I understand UTEP has 12-15 scholarships to offer this year. If they cant find 15 kids to play here I think the long term prognosis for improvement is poor.
JUCO. JUCO. JUCO to fill important immediate gaps. That is the theme I got from Dimel on his radio show right before the end of the season. I expect a purge to take place in the coming weeks or months (perhaps).

Here's how I would counter that.

All of the recruits that we know have signed so far are more highly recruited than just about any recruits we've had in the last few years just judging by the star rating.

All of these young men has multiple offers unlike many of Kugs recruits. Some had signed D-1 before or had D-1 offers before committing to UTEP. Granted there's only 4 or 5 of them right now but judging by the focus on game ready players this could mean that our recruiting team is not just signing warm bodies.

Saving some scholies now will give UTEP the opportunity to play the transfer and grad transfer (game ready) market that made UCF so successful. It will also allow time for bowl eligible teams to adjust their rosters and perhaps make more players available on the open market.

Bottom line is, the signing period just started. It won't end until just after camp Ruidoso. So let's get our popcorn ready and hopefully prepare to be surprised.

Can someone compile a list? Do we have 15 commits or 13? And who is Robert Corner?

I'm sure he's related to the Laufenberg douche who covers the Cowgirls, right? ;)

#StirringThePotForCowboyFans
C'mon Big!!!! I always respected your opinions and input, but for you to use that language and tone here is way out of line, simply because you're a Cowboy hater. This is a genuine feel good event and I am excited for Luke and the whole Laufenberg family. Thrilled he's gonna be a Miner. Best of everything for them. I just love it!

I heard that Hankins is wavering and is looking at other bigger schools. IF UTEP loses him that will be a shame and a black eye for the program that will be hard to overcome with future El Paso kids. The single worst thing that the new staff has done.

I heard that Hankins is wavering and is looking at other bigger schools. IF UTEP loses him that will be a shame and a black eye for the program that will be hard to overcome with future El Paso kids. The single worst thing that the new staff has done.
Waiting until Feb. 6 to announce the signing class is what caused Hankins to consider other bigger schools???????

Waiting until Feb. 6 to announce the signing class is what caused Hankins to consider other bigger schools???????
I have heard that he wanted to sign and have local media and UTEP be part of it but UTEP did not want to do it. Now other big name schools in the P5 that didn't get their #1 running back are after him and he is listening. I do not know of a single school that did what UTEP did by not announcing the signings and making a big deal about them. Kids are different than they used to be because of social media and UTEP missed the boat on this one. I just hope we can keep Hankins.

Reactions: Rot and picks up
I have heard that he wanted to sign and have local media and UTEP be part of it but UTEP did not want to do it. Now other big name schools in the P5 that didn't get their #1 running back are after him and he is listening. I do not know of a single school that did what UTEP did by not announcing the signings and making a big deal about them. Kids are different than they used to be because of social media and UTEP missed the boat on this one. I just hope we can keep Hankins.

DAMN IT!!! The UTEP incompetent shit show never seems to stop. This is utterly discouraging for all UTEP fans. Dimel and Senter's bone head move of the year. If this is true and he elects to not honor his verbal commitment and sign elsewhere, Dimel will never hear the end of it. And he shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: picks up

I’m not saying UTEP should play favorites and kiss ass. But UTEP should play favorites and kiss ass.

I started this thread hoping it would give me some good vibes before Christmas, now I'm UTEP depressed like always.

See ya'll fellas in 2019.... :(

WOW. When the staff is out recruiting they are all over social media and showing everyone, but when it is actually signing day, they do the complete opposite. It is such a stupid way to lose a good recruit especially when every other school does what UTEP didn't want to do. I didn't like the Dimel hire but I found positives and was on his side, but this shit just pisses me off and I have no confidence in this guy turning this football program around. I am sure this staff used the hometown hero sales pitch when they recruited him, but on signing day they are just well now you need to wait until Feb 6 buddy because we are a "team". I am done with purchasing season tickets for football.

Last edited:
Reactions: utep-piggy
Not worried at all about Hankins. He is wired differently. Top of his class, does bible studies at lunch, humble....he was walking around Spring Practices last season when I was there.
And he committed early with other big offers already on the table. Now we have second hand info that he could go back on his word because UTEP/Dimel asked him to wait 6 weeks to celebrate with his other potential teammates. I see why some of you are concerned, but I think he signs at UTEP. If not then good luck to him. Either way we will see what kind of person he is...

I know we’re all speculating but I wonder if some big schools got in Hankins’ ear and that’s also playing into him wavering on his commitment. All things considered, it seems petty to waver in your commitment because they’re not announcing it in December. The school/staff showed all this love up to this point, so can something this inconsequential derail everything? UTEP worked hard to get that commitment, even using Aaron Jones so it’s hardfor me to believe they would shit the bed at the finish. From the outside looking in I want to say there are bigger things going on.

Plus I want to take all of this with a grain of salt. I am looking on Twitter and Hankins’ mom is retweeting stuff from Aaron Jones and even Justin Mayers’ commitment to UTEP 4 days ago. So this may be semantics we’re arguing here.

That is great news. With an offense devoid of any playmakers, UTEP can't afford to lose him IMO.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
That’s exactly why I want to believe that they’re working extra hard to make sure they get his signaure on his LOI. Plus I am sure A.J. has stressed to him that the has a chance to be a starter on this team and even if the team struggles he could make it to The NFL.

That’s exactly why I want to believe that they’re working extra hard to make sure they get his signaure on his LOI. Plus I am sure A.J. has stressed to him that the has a chance to be a starter on this team and even if the team struggles he could make it to The NFL.

It would be a major NCAA violation if Aaron contacted him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT