ADVERTISEMENT

Doesn't Seem Crazy Anymore!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
What if Floyd is gone after what doesn't appear to be a successful year and Kietha Adams is appointed Men's Head Coach!?!? I know this has been brought up before, but it just doesn't seem too far fetched anymore. We're close to having a Woman President (Don't wanna hear your Political Opinions) and imagine the publicity Utep would receive, its be ground breaking much like 66'. Not to mention I think recruiting would be out of this world. One of the reasons why is, that Kietha could go into the home of an inner city youth and relate to a strong woman who's raising her son! If Floyd is gone after this year, she gets my Vote, let's not be afraid to make waves!!!

Good god, what a stupid statement. Let's worry about replacing that god awful football coach we have, instead of replacing a winning basketball coach with a woman's coach who wouldnt be able to recruit a 5'3" slow white boy that can't shoot.

Last edited:
Good god, what a stupid statement. Let's worry about replacing that god awful football coach we have, instead of replacing a winning basketball coach with a woman's coach who wouldnt be able to recruit a 5'3" slow white boy that can't shoot.

Back to topic, Keitha is great where she is at, she knows it and will not crossover.

Kugler somehow blows it against HBU, I don't see how Stull can not make a move at the end of the season; even if UTEP does pull out one more win against Rice, FAU or UNT? (UNT I doubt. They are playing much, much better as compared to last year).

Lol, just trynna change the subject from our dying Football team. As far as Floyd winning lol, if your happy with the state of the basketball team over the last 6 years, then you are a very easy man to please. Secondly you sound like a feminist in your comments, and your ridiculous in what you said and that's the backwards thinking that keeps people from positive change. You must be one of those ignorant Trump Supporters. I don't wanna talk politics, but your comment was ignorant!

I think for a woman to become a division 1 coach she would have to start coaching men's basketball from the beginning and work her way up. Women's basketball is a systematically different game and also it's one thing to coach, it's another thing to recruit. Haskins had his NY and Chicago pipelines, Gillispie brought in some great JUCO players and he brought in Rouco to help recruit Latin America. Barbee made a killing recruiting the Memphis area. I don't know if any of Keitha's pipelines would necessarily translate to recruiting talented male basketball players.

Reactions: CubsFan81
Kietha at UTEP is like a young professional who find that dream home to raise the kids. You find the 1,800 or so square foot home on the nice col-de-sac lot for room to grow when the kids grow. The type of professionals who can, but don't want to live in the gated community. To much pressure and snobbery is not on your life plate.

That's Keitha. She found her home here at UTEP. She appears comfortable and happy (one of the friendliest athletic coaches at UTEP). She has a basketball loving city, she has a nice gym in the DHC and great support facilities.

Her recruiting pipeline is just fine and brings in hungry to win players. She needs to be where she is and that is as UTEP women's head coach!

Look I like Keitha a lot. Im on record saying if the other coaches were as visable and accesible as she is in the community attendance for our revenue sports would be much better. Her enthusiasm for UTEP is genuine and contagious.

However, lets dial back all the this is a womens basketball school and she should coach the mens team talk. This will be her sixteenth year shes been to two ncaa tournaments and two nit's. She has done and incredible job building the program. Regardless of gender or revenue I try to judge UTEP's athletics programs equally. The fact is the women choked down the stretch. They lost to a four win UTSA team in the regular season finale and then in the cusa tournament. They missed the tournament. If Floyd and the men had done the same thing we would be crucifing them.I dont care about NIT's men's or women's.

The fact that we're even talking about women's basketball is a testimony to Keitha Adams. She is being paid $320,000 a year which is extraordinarily high for a women's coach. She is far and away the highest paid coach in cusa. With the salary comes expectations, they need to take the next steps and become a perennial ncaa team to justify the salary. I think she can, but they aren't there yet.

Reactions: Cube Jack
That was MY idea! Becky Hammon coaches the Spurs. Are you saying she couldn't coach the miners. Nancy Lieberman Klein coaches the Kings.

Reactions: UTEP05 and nattybry
That was MY idea! Becky Hammon coaches the Spurs. Are you saying she couldn't coach the miners. Nancy Lieberman Klein coaches the Kings.

I remember, just doesn't seem as far fetched as it used to be. It won't happen I know, but they why not isn't as easily explainable as this once was. I mean as a capable female coach in Men's Basketball as a whole

Last edited:
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Keitha could go seven straight years without an NCAA tourney appearance just as well as any other coach. No doubt.

Reactions: liebestraum
I guess we'll see what happens this year with Floyd, but I dont see any reason to believe this team will be very good. There's 3 good players on this team. No post presence and a bunch of Freshman who will be needed to grow up before they're ready. Every year with Floyd has been a rebuilding year, except for his first and he choked away an NCAA Appearance, Sorry I'm not Sorry I've lost faith in Floyd, but if he surprises all of us this year and they go to NCAA or advance in NIT, then I'll eat some crow with hot sauce!

Reactions: UTEP05
In terms of conference championships and NCAA tournament appearances, I give you a 100% guarantee Keitha Adams would do no worse than Tim Floyd over the next 7 seasons. Yep, the next 7 seasons.

Last edited:
This is what we're looking at

PG- Dominic Artist 16ppg
SG- Omega Harris 15ppg
F- Terry Winn 15ppg
................ God Knows where the other points will come from! Wilms won't make it healthy through the season and I dont see winning more than 16 or 17 games realistic and I have 0 excitement coming into this season. So based on my lack of hope maybe they'll go to NCAA!!!! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEP05 and unihorn
This is what we're looking at

PG- Dominic Artist 16ppg
SG- Omega Harris 15ppg
F- Terry Winn 15ppg
................ God Knows where the other points will come from! Winn won't make it healthy through the season and I dont see winning more than 16 or 17 games realistic and I have 0 excitement coming into this season. So based on my lack of hope maybe they'll go to NCAA!!!! Lol
I hope like hell that your analysis is way off. I see Artis and Harris as 2 of the best guards in the conference. I see Winn as 1 of the best forwards and Thomas should be a lot better this year. Post play will be erratic until Jones gets up to speed but he will be very good by mid-season. If Wilms can contribute, the post will become a strong position for UTEP this year. I see a much better year than you see but I was wrong once before, just can't remember when and about what.

I hope like hell that your analysis is way off. I see Artis and Harris as 2 of the best guards in the conference. I see Winn as 1 of the best forwards and Thomas should be a lot better this year. Post play will be erratic until Jones gets up to speed but he will be very good by mid-season. If Wilms can contribute, the post will become a strong position for UTEP this year. I see a much better year than you see but I was wrong once before, just can't remember when and about what.
How do u hope my analysis is way off? You just agreed with my point about Harris, Artis and Winn being the Studs on this team! Oh sorry meant Wilms not Winn not staying heealthy. I know what u mean about hoping other guys surprise, but Wilms is already hurt again on the same foot, so what give u the hope he'll even play the full season? Thomas may be improved, but I just dont see enough of a post present to be one of the top teams in CUSA. However I'd rather on the side of causion and be pleasantly surprised then for to build my hopes like I have with Floyd's teams and be yet again disappointed.

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
How do u hope my analysis is way off? You just agreed with my point about Harris, Artis and Winn being the Studs on this team! Oh sorry meant Wilms not Winn not staying heealthy. I know what u mean about hoping other guys surprise, but Wilms is already hurt again on the same foot, so what give u the hope he'll even play the full season? Thomas may be improved, but I just dont see enough of a post present to be one of the top teams in CUSA. However I'd rather on the side of causion and be pleasantly surprised then for to build my hopes like I have with Floyd's teams and be yet again disappointed.
Well, your analysis says 16-17 wins tops while I think we have 3 starters that are all-conference quality. If that's true then this team will win more than that easily and with Thomas and Jones improving over the season and at least some contribution from Wilms, the conference tournament becomes winnable.

Reactions: e-rick

If a woman coach couldn't do the job of "molding" a young man, that would mean that this country is even in worse trouble than most think. Most kids in this great land of ours are raised by a single parent, usually momma and in many instances, grandma. Sweet Jehoshaphat, this philosophy is a false human belief that goes back thousands of years and in our western culture it has permeated in every nook and cranny of our belief system and passed down this very day to an unsuspecting young man.

I agree with Minerforlife, judge them equally. Kietha has been known to blow games, but she also won plenty of important games too. The salary is on the high side for a mid-major, and as part of the equality debate, should be debated if her overall performance has justified such a high payout?

Well, your analysis says 16-17 wins tops while I think we have 3 starters that are all-conference quality. If that's true then this team will win more than that easily and with Thomas and Jones improving over the season and at least some contribution from Wilms, the conference tournament becomes winnable.
Willms is Mr. Glass I just dont see him making it through the season, is back in a boot already!

It is time to write Willms off. He barely played in 1 scrimmage and his foot is already acting up and I don't see him ever recovering from that stress fracture. Those foot stress fractures are career enders for basketball players. Floyd should have had a plan B going into this season with Willms and gone after a decent JUCO center. Kelvin Jones should have been plan C.

Here is the thing with Willms. Willms is not an impact player when healthy. He was a major project coming here and he still remains a major project. Ya he is 7'1, but he plays very soft and is not very physical. He is just another Hooper Vint. Even if he was healthy last season, we would have still had the same below average season.

Kelvin Jones is the player we need at least some contribution from in order to win the CUSA tourney. This dude plays above the rim and can be a rebounding machine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT