ADVERTISEMENT

FAU

Someone dammit needs to demand an explanation....Why do they keep playing Vila? Is he paying the coaches to let him play? Where was Efe at crunch time? He kept them in the game. Just heard from Teich no post game with coach! What a sorry bunch of BS!
No questions- No answers- No wins- Just losses.

So UTEP doesn’t have anyone on their staff not named Rodney Terry that can call a timeout and draw up a bucket involving the best scorer in C-USA?

Terry has done it a few times this year in different situations and has drawn up a few nice sets out of timeouts, needed that tonight.

either way, this UTEP team is well coached on defense, but just continues to look lost on offense. Some of these turnovers you see at Your local pickup games with fat, drunk guys like me, shouldn’t happen on a DI floor with this talent UTEP has. This offensive struggle fest we’ve been in concerns me more than Eric Villa’s minutes which is another shit show.

Just an average team that can play above in stretches, it’s an improvement, but a disappointment with the good talent we have.

The starting lineup, and the lineup that receives the most minutes, should be Efe, Williams, Archie or Stroud, Edwards, and Hawkins. Off the bench should be Stroud or Archie (whomever doesn't start), Tarke, Boum, and Verhoeven. Vila should not see the floor except in cases of extreme foul trouble.

The staff needs to create plays that put Williams in position to score. And Williams nerds to learn to take opportunities given to him. In the last few minutes he had the ball in his hand and, at one point in the play, had an opportunity for an open mid-range jumper. He instead kept dribbling the ball into the post, where he drew a double or triple team. He forced a pass to Vila, which was stolen. This isn't the first time that I've seen him pass up looks hoping to get better ones, which, with the double and triple teaming he often receives, doesn't usually work.

Hawkins sometimes play aggressively, trying to push the action. He did this late in the first half, and we turned a six point deficit into a three point halftime lead. Sometimes he is content to pass the ball around the perimeter, without attacking. This rarely yields positive results, and is the way Nigel played most of the second half. We need the aggressive, energetic play from him.

Losing our point guard is probably related to the turnover situation.
The turnovers were happening with Lathon as well. Take a look at the end of the Hawaii game, just as one example, where a similar collapse happened and Lathon was the main reason for it. The problem is that there is not one guy on this team who can take care of the ball. No matter who's in the lineup, there is not one guy we can rely to control the ball. If you look at some of these turnovers, there are many that are completely unforced. I'm not sure this can change with this group of players. It is that bad. Lathon was a big part of the problem.

Last edited:
Losing our point guard is probably related to the turnover situation.
One of UTEP’s main ball handlers even with Lathon, Souley Boum, came into this game with 29 turnovers and 28 assists on the season. This has been a living cancer before Lathon’s departure in my opinion my man.

Reactions: picks up
Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Going into this game UTEP is averaging 15 a game, so that includes Lathon.
31% from the arc needs to improve.

UTEP did out rebound FAU.

UTEP needs to put more consistent play. Their 5+ minute droughts are hurting because they constantly play catch up.
https://utepminers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20
Lathon is only averaging 1.6 turnovers a game this season. He was still the best ball-handler we had and now he's gone. Horrible timing for him to leave this struggling team.

At the beginning of the year, the other “troll” and I, said playing D2 teams and beating up on crap teams doesn’t help. Maybe we know more than most of you want to believe.

Also, expect an empty Don this week. Thanks to high ticket prices and poor play. Thanks Senter!!!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
The way this team is playing I don’t think going and getting beat by 40 would be of any moral support or help.

At the beginning of the year, the other “troll” and I, said playing D2 teams and beating up on crap teams doesn’t help. Maybe we know more than most of you want to believe.

Also, expect an empty Don this week. Thanks to high ticket prices and poor play. Thanks Senter!!!

You’re probably right that the weak schedule we played didn’t help any, however, I honestly don’t think playing a tougher schedule would have had any more of a positive effect on THIS particular team than playing the cupcakes. The fact that we haven’t improved one iota suggests that something just isn’t right from an internal or chemistry standpoint. The difference wouldn’t be much more than instead of being 9-6, we’d be 6-9, which doesn’t even matter in this conference.

“We?”

You’re probably right that the weak schedule we played didn’t help any, however, I honestly don’t think playing a tougher schedule would have had any more of a positive effect on THIS particular team than playing the cupcakes. The fact that we haven’t improved one iota suggests that something just isn’t right from an internal or chemistry standpoint. The difference wouldn’t be much more than instead of being 9-6, we’d be 6-9, which doesn’t even matter in this conference.

I agree with that sentiment. However, it would have calmed expectations and offered a realistic look at the team. Getting blown out by West Virginia would helped in that way. And you never know, we could have played our A game that night.

Why we lost:
21 turnovers with 5 assists.

These stats are really telling. Five assists? That is horrendous. That stat, more than any other, is an indictment of our offensive scheme, or lack thereof. Sure, we had some runs where we scored well, but that was a result of great individual plays, not of a scheme that creates opportunities for the players.

Also, the 21 turnovers is also horrendous. We open conference play with back to back games of more than 20 turnovers. I don't mind this kind of stat in November, when the season is young. We should have learned to take better care of the ball by January, however. We don't seem to have improved in any facet of the game.

I agree with that sentiment. However, it would have calmed expectations and offered a realistic look at the team. Getting blown out by West Virginia would helped in that way. And you never know, we could have played our A game that night.
Every team in our conference and almost every mid major plays at least two D2 games at home. Some schools schedule them as exhibition games. It’s nothing out of the ordinary that we played three. There’s no way Senter or any other AD would have substituted those two D2 guaranteed home games for road guaranteed losses. Let’s stop with that unrealistic demand.

I’ll give you that the third game against a d2 should have been a road game against a good team.

What if we do bring our A game like we did against Marquette last year? Would that have calmed our expectations or increased them?

These stats are really telling. Five assists? That is horrendous. That stat, more than any other, is an indictment of our offensive scheme, or lack thereof. Sure, we had some runs where we scored well, but that was a result of great individual plays, not of a scheme that creates opportunities for the players.

Also, the 21 turnovers is also horrendous. We open conference play with back to back games of more than 20 turnovers. I don't mind this kind of stat in November, when the season is young. We should have learned to take better care of the ball by January, however. We don't seem to have improved in any facet of the game.
If we had five less turnovers in each of the last two games, we would have won them both, which is really frustrating. Many of the offensive droughts are tied to the turnovers. Even with the poor shooting and low assists, we still had a chance to win at the end. It is nearly impossible to win on the road with 21 turnovers.

The starting lineup, and the lineup that receives the most minutes, should be Efe, Williams, Archie or Stroud, Edwards, and Hawkins. Off the bench should be Stroud or Archie (whomever doesn't start), Tarke, Boum, and Verhoeven. Vila should not see the floor except in cases of extreme foul trouble.

The staff needs to create plays that put Williams in position to score. And Williams nerds to learn to take opportunities given to him. In the last few minutes he had the ball in his hand and, at one point in the play, had an opportunity for an open mid-range jumper. He instead kept dribbling the ball into the post, where he drew a double or triple team. He forced a pass to Vila, which was stolen. This isn't the first time that I've seen him pass up looks hoping to get better ones, which, with the double and triple teaming he often receives, doesn't usually work.

Hawkins sometimes play aggressively, trying to push the action. He did this late in the first half, and we turned a six point deficit into a three point halftime lead. Sometimes he is content to pass the ball around the perimeter, without attacking. This rarely yields positive results, and is the way Nigel played most of the second half. We need the aggressive, energetic play from him.
Yes this!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT