ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Really exciting to see all the updates on social media. I'm hopeful we have a great signing day, this month! Picks Up!

Some schools are coming in late on some guys that Dimel and company were on early. We'll see how many we can hold on to.

As for need, we really needed a JC WR with top end speed who can contribute early. We had a shot at a couple, but don't have one yet. Losing out on Vaughn really hurt. The class will mostly be some solid JC guys who aren't going to be asked to play early, which is a good thing. But I wonder if UTEP will be forced to try and find a transfer WR is they strikeout on the JC WR's.

Y'all need to chill. It's not like anyone on here has a college coaching job
Respectfully, that is kind of a ridiculous post. The 4 posts above this one described our recruiting class as "solid JC guys", "this could be a solid class", "Dimel has been a busy boy", and "I'm hopeful that we have a great signing day". There was absoultely nothing wrong or even negative towards the coaching staff in any of these 4 posts.

As for discussing team needs, well every team has team needs. The team that wins the Super Bowl in two weeks will have team needs at their draft. There is nothing wrong with fans discussing team needs........especially on a message board that was made for that purpose.

Our roster appears to be pretty solid and Dimel now seems to be moving more towards building depth, but one major area of need was losing our top two WR's. We obtained a JC WR who appears to fit more of the Justin Garrett mold, but are currently missing a second WR signing and only have a 5'8" walk-on from WKU at this moment. Hopefully good news will come in the next couple of days.

I know that we have a good batch of running backs but i WISH UTEP would take a look at a running back in Katy Texas. This kid is from Paetow High School who is this yeas 5A div 1 State Champions. This kid rushed for over 800 yards in three playoff games. He is fast, has good vision, and is a smart football player. Talked with his dad at the State championship game and he said his son has no offers from any Div 1 schools. He has good grades; I think the reason big schools have stayed away was that at the start of the year he had an injury that would keep him from playing. He worked really hard and got himself approved to play. If this kid woulkd go to UTEP, he would be a star after his first year.

I know that we have a good batch of running backs but i WISH UTEP would take a look at a running back in Katy Texas. This kid is from Paetow High School who is this yeas 5A div 1 State Champions. This kid rushed for over 800 yards in three playoff games. He is fast, has good vision, and is a smart football player. Talked with his dad at the State championship game and he said his son has no offers from any Div 1 schools. He has good grades; I think the reason big schools have stayed away was that at the start of the year he had an injury that would keep him from playing. He worked really hard and got himself approved to play. If this kid woulkd go to UTEP, he would be a star after his first year.
If you're talking about Jacob Brown, it seems everyone is sleeping on him. Only one offer so far, from HBU. Looks like the perfect Dimel HS recruit.

We are likely looking at: Ballard, Smith, and Flores as our starting 3 WR's. Ballard is going to have to hit the ground running, with very little experience. He is a bigger WR. Flores was a better WR than expected and could fill the role as the possession WR. That leaves Smith as our only guy with top end speed, but he is also like 5'8". I think Clarke might have a role, but he is more in the Ballard role. Chavis or Warfield "might" be able to provide an additional option to stretch the field deep, but one more person in that mold could really be used and it appears that coaching staff felt the same way based on their offers/visits.

We are likely looking at: Ballard, Smith, and Flores as our starting 3 WR's. Ballard is going to have to hit the ground running, with very little experience. He is a bigger WR. Flores was a better WR than expected and could fill the role as the possession WR. That leaves Smith as our only guy with top end speed, but he is also like 5'8". I think Clarke might have a role, but he is more in the Ballard role. Chavis or Warfield "might" be able to provide an additional option to stretch the field deep, but one more person in that mold could really be used and it appears that coaching staff felt the same way based on their offers/visits.
I'm not sure about Flores at the WR spot. He has good hands for a half back, but I don't see him getting open consistently against DBs. Like you mentioned, we will need to add a transfer WR, if we are not able to pull one from Juco.

IMO, Flores pretty much entrenched himself as a starting WR for Dimel last year. Flores was our 4th leading receiver on the season(both in receptions and yardage) and he is our 2nd leading returning receiver for next year. He also didn't really start playing WR full time until about 1/3rd into the season. Dimel has been extremely loyal to playing Seniors(sometimes even too loyal), so with Flores being a top 2 returning WR from last year, then I would fully anticipate him having a similar role this year.

There is a role for a WR like Flores, but Dimel's offense really needs a WR who can make plays on their own/YAC. I understand that can be said for most offenses, but a WR who can individually turn 7 yards into 12 yards seems to be even more important for the methodical type of offense that Dimel runs. Having a WR who can stretch the field deep also appears to be very important to how Hardison plays as well. At this point, we just don't seem to have many WR's who fit that profile, unless a couple of the unproven younger guys are going to step up.

If you're talking about Jacob Brown, it seems everyone is sleeping on him. Only one offer so far, from HBU. Looks like the perfect Dimel HS recruit.
This kid had long touch downs in all regular season games he pl;ayed in and and they were up the middle.

Hershel Walker type. Good size. Homerun speed. Would be an asset in any backfield I think. Let's get him coach Dimel.

Reactions: EMA884
This kid had long touch downs in all regular season games he pl;ayed in and and they were up the middle.
So what’s the stain on this kid? Has he been in trouble? There has to be some reason the offers haven’t poured in. This kid is too good to not have them.

10 yards per carry. Played on Texas High School’s biggest stage (almost). Good size. Good speed. Good vision. 1500 yards. 27 TDs. Something doesn’t seem to add up.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So what’s the stain on this kid? Has he been in trouble? There has to be some reason the offers haven’t poured in. This kid is too good to not have them.

10 yards per carry. Played on Texas High School’s biggest stage (almost). Good size. Good speed. Good vision. 1500 yards. 27 TDs. Something doesn’t seem to add up.
The only possible drawback is that he is a north south runner. Didn't see his hips turn side to side too many times. if you get him in the backfield, me might not be able to get out but if you can get him to the second level watch out.

He has "HBU running back" as part of his twitter header. He also has an offer from Kilgore JC.

Hershel Walker type. Good size. Homerun speed. Would be an asset in any backfield I think. Let's get him coach Dimel.

Thank you jdubb66 for putting the highlights. There is a second set of highlites which are titled "first three games" I am sure they are the first three playoff games. I would really love to see this kid in a Miner uniform, if not, I would really want him to get a D1 scholarship. He is an outstanding person and his parents are good people. I hope coach Dimel watches this board because I think we could have a good chance to get this guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT