ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Since Senter has indicated that the Sun Bowl renovation/enhancement will likely be announced sometime in March and since signing another 3 star FB player would not be BIG NEWS, I'm going to predict (could well be wrong) that the best fullback in college football, Winston Dimel, will announce he is joining the UTEP FB team. That would be huge considering he is being recruited by Missouri, Texas A&M and Wisconsin.

My guess is that he has announced the commitment publically yet, only to the coaches. Hopefully we see that soon

Don't believe so, according to Kappy on AM 600 that he asked UTEP this afternoon about it and they said they couldn't comment yet.

UTEP can’t comment on any commits until they sign, so the “big” news could have very easily just been the verbal commit above. The text response that Kappy got back from UTEP also matches that it could simply be a verbal commit. Like everybody else, my hope is that it is for a big commit that has not become public yet, but Canales posted an O-Line comment at almost the same time that the “Big News” tweet happened and now we got our o-line commit to match that tweet, so I think Bigwood was right. This commit’s mother also liked the “Big news” tweet for what that’s worth.

UTEP can’t comment on any commits until they sign, so the “big” news could have very easily just been the verbal commit above. The text response that Kappy got back from UTEP also matches that it could simply be a verbal commit. Like everybody else, my hope is that it is for a big commit that has not become public yet, but Canales posted an O-Line comment at almost the same time that the “Big News” tweet happened and now we got our o-line commit to match that tweet, so I think Bigwood was right. This commit’s mother also liked the “Big news” tweet for what that’s worth.
You're probably right. Wasn't sure because the announcement on the UTEP page was last night but the commit didn't come until this afternoon.

I hope that's not all lol

Why do you say that?

I'm not falling for the twitter hype. If you look at all the commits the only player they got that has any other offers was Locksley. Every other player looks like Utep is the only offer. So far I'm not impressed yet. Still a D-.
if they get coaches son it will go to D+.

I'm not falling for the twitter hype. If you look at all the commits the only player they got that has any other offers was Locksley. Every other player looks like Utep is the only offer. So far I'm not impressed yet. Still a D-.

You been eating a shit sandwich lately pal? Would you rather Kugler still be here announcing signings of marginal FCS players from El Dorado and Bel Air? You're lucky I am not gonna post a gay weiner gif for ya!

With all due respect, this isn’t the class you should be making any judgements by. Widen your scope and wait a year.

Look at it like this. You’re in a mile race amongst equal or greater peers. Except in this race you have to spot your competition 3/4 of a mile lead. That’s about what UTEP fb recruiting boils down to this year.

With all due respect, this isn’t the class you should be making any judgements by. Widen your scope and wait a year.

Look at it like this. You’re in a mile race amongst equal or greater peers. Except in this race you have to spot your competition 3/4 of a mile lead. That’s about what UTEP fb recruiting boils down to this year.

Well put.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
You been eating a shit sandwich lately pal? Would you rather Kugler still be here announcing signings of marginal FCS players from El Dorado and Bel Air? You're lucky I am not gonna post a gay weiner gif for ya!

Hindsight is 20/20 but Kugler recruited a K with 1 field goal attempt and his goal was to have every high school in EP represented. Dimmel and staff haven’t looked like they’re making those bumbling moves as they started late.

I did see we did get the commitment from the punter, but I still haven't seen anything on a placekicker. It is critical that we improve that area. I don't think Dimel will pull a "Kugler" but I hope he isn't waiting for the UTEP student tryout to find a gem.

I did see we did get the commitment from the punter, but I still haven't seen anything on a placekicker. It is critical that we improve that area. I don't think Dimel will pull a "Kugler" but I hope he isn't waiting for the UTEP student tryout to find a gem.

Totally agree. Shouldn’t be that difficult. Hold a tryout amongst interested local soccer players.

My buddy, a soccer player, kicked one year in HS then kicked for UTEP. At one point he held a Miner record for made FGs in a game. May still be a record. Not sure. Point is, a soccer player is more likely to have the accuracy down, probably a stronger leg than most, as well. It’s a good place to start at least.

I bet he puts emphasis on ST coming from Snyder. He ALWAYS had great ST that made the difference is several games.

Reactions: El Paso 777

Great comparison.

Totally agree. Shouldn’t be that difficult. Hold a tryout amongst interested local soccer players.

My buddy, a soccer player, kicked one year in HS then kicked for UTEP. At one point he held a Miner record for made FGs in a game. May still be a record. Not sure. Point is, a soccer player is more likely to have the accuracy down, probably a stronger leg than most, as well. It’s a good place to start at least.
I read somewhere that there will be open tryouts for kicker (meaning any UTEP student or incoming student). I think is was on UTEP FB twitter.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that there will be open tryouts for kicker (meaning any UTEP student or incoming student). O think is was on UREP FB twitter.
Right. The open tryout is scheduled for February 5th for full time students, which is a good idea in my opinion. Hopefully, the staff is working on other options as well, just in case they don't find another Jose Martinez already enrolled in school though.;)

Last edited:
Right. The open tryout is scheduled for February 5th for full time students, which is a good idea in my opinion. Hopefully, the staff is working on other options as well, just in case they don't find another Jose Martinez already enrolled in school though.;)
I went on a 10 minutes vortex of looking up what happened with Jose. I must've forgot he tested positive for mota. Last I saw was a post in 2014 where he was the kicker for Iowa's AFL team. Gano is in the NFL and Martinez is who-knows where?

I am giving them a pass. I'm not expecting a great class . But I'm not going to be like everyone else saying theses are great players. To me this is like the NFL draft and UTEP didn't have a pick in the 7 rounds. Utep is going after players nobody else wanted or players that went undrafted. I blame Sean Kugler for this class actually? What were they doing the whole season? Were they recruiting?

I am giving them a pass. I'm not expecting a great class . But I'm not going to be like everyone else saying theses are great players. To me this is like the NFL draft and UTEP didn't have a pick in the 7 rounds. Utep is going after players nobody else wanted or players that went undrafted. I blame Sean Kugler for this class actually? What were they doing the whole season? Were they recruiting?

That's fair.

I'm just glad to see Coach Dimel and staff do what they can to create excitement.

I belong to a non profit that depends on recruiting young men and they spent a ton of money on market research to see what attracts young millenials and the research came back with "identity". Young mllienial aged men need to "identify" with the group you want them to join. My point is that it appears the UTEP coaching staff is doing that and using social media as a positive weapon of choice in recruiting. Just my $0.02 which isn't even worth that much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT