ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Those two last linemen seem rather small...hell, they're about my size. Are they looking for speed on the line rather than bulk or will they be doing what minerpride31 suggested and move them to LB?

Those two last linemen seem rather small...hell, they're about my size. Are they looking for speed on the line rather than bulk or will they be doing what minerpride31 suggested and move them to LB?
A lot of these guys will be redshirted and some grayshirted. So they can bulk up.
6'3" 225 is a good size for an outside speed rusher for a frosh.

You're 6'7", 290? I think that's a good size for lineman.

Does anyone know why Dimel and staff didn’t make a bigger push for Cedarious Barfield. He’s probably the best athlete from El Paso this past football season. He’s a dual threat qb that could be used in Dimel’s system. SDSU plans to make him play on the defensive side. I wonder if there could have been a way to convince him to stay home.

Does anyone know why Dimel and staff didn’t make a bigger push for Cedarious Barfield. He’s probably the best athlete from El Paso this past football season. He’s a dual threat qb that could be used in Dimel’s system. SDSU plans to make him play on the defensive side. I wonder if there could have been a way to convince him to stay home.
He signed pretty early and wasn't flipping from SDSU so Dimel really didn't have a chance to be honest...

Reactions: JCorona
I haven't followed the football signings real closely, but looking at the UTEP website this morning, I there's a couple missing from the list. A WR from Prestonwood Dallas (Baker) and an athlete (Walters). Am I correct and if so why are they not listed?
Also, who is the KFOX guy interviewing Kai Locksley?

I haven't followed the football signings real closely, but looking at the UTEP website this morning, I there's a couple missing from the list. A WR from Prestonwood Dallas (Baker) and an athlete (Walters). Am I correct and if so why are they not listed?

Sarge Preston. He works for KOFX.

I'm not sure why they're not on the list you saw, but UTEP Football tweeted that they signed.

He signed an LOI in the new early period. Was off limits

Reactions: JCorona
Where are you seeing this? He's not listed on the official UTEP signing class page, and there are no official tweets (that I've found) about him signing with us.
Same question I have. I believe it just want to see the official announcement.

You have to assume the Juco players will be in line to compete right away. So we have potential starters at QB, WR, OL, DL and along the secondary and maybe a true frosh or two getting some playing time. Seems like they addressed talent issues going into this year as well as the future.

You have to assume the Juco players will be in line to compete right away. So we have potential starters at QB, WR, OL, DL and along the secondary and maybe a true frosh or two getting some playing time. Seems like they addressed talent issues going into this year as well as the future.

And FB

I'm wondering where we are at scholarship wise for the year. I believe the yearly allotment for FB is 25 rides. Obviously, several of the guys signed today will be greyshirts. However, the staff has also indicated they plan on being active in the area of grad transfers in the summer. Does anyone know if the 25 scholarship per year limit is still in place, and whether that number would include grad transfers?

I heard Dimmel say that one of the WRs, can’t remember which one was a walk on during the press conference so I would assume a couple other guys may not get scholarships up front.

I'm wondering where we are at scholarship wise for the year. I believe the yearly allotment for FB is 25 rides. Obviously, several of the guys signed today will be greyshirts. However, the staff has also indicated they plan on being active in the area of grad transfers in the summer. Does anyone know if the 25 scholarship per year limit is still in place, and whether that number would include grad transfers?

Yes, it’s still in place but I’m not sure if grad transfers count against that number. Also, there are several ways to circumvent that 25 scholarships per year rule, though. I’m curious to see how it all shapes up...who we lose through transfer, who grey shirts, etc.

Yes, it’s still in place but I’m not sure if grad transfers count against that number. Also, there are several ways to circumvent that 25 scholarships per year rule, though. I’m curious to see how it all shapes up...who we lose through transfer, who grey shirts, etc.
Thanks for the insight Fanaticoog. I know we were well over the intial 13-14 projected to be signed, which I think is a good thing. I still think we could use some grad transfer guys in several areas.

Thanks for the insight Fanaticoog. I know we were well over the intial 13-14 projected to be signed, which I think is a good thing. I still think we could use some grad transfer guys in several areas.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, that we are well beyond the 13 that we were projected to sign. That’s what makes me think some kids have voiced their intentions to transfer. And if my memory serves me correctly, Dimel did say we’ may add a few grad transfers in the summer.

Looking a bit further into it, it does appear that grad transfers count against the 25.

I see why we are last in the conference. Given the fact that they had two months to get this done they did a very good job. I know they didn’t nab all universe talent but they did manage to upgrade some key positions. QB should be much improved with Locksley and they also got another kid who could potentially be a starter down the road. So I can take this 14th out of 14 teams knowing the circumstances.

I was angry as hell with the Dimel hire when it was announced and ready to give up entirely on UTEP Athletics. But I will concede that they did a helluva job considering the short time frame.

Coach em up and we’ll be able to compete...I truly believe that now.

I don't want to just compete, I want to win!

We all want that. I believe Kugs kids are talented enough to compete, they just had horrible coaching. Our passing game consisted of bubble screens and hitch routes. if this coaching staff can design plays to get the ball into our playmakers we’ll be in good shape. Pick plays, rub routes, wheel routes, some goddamn creativity please! And fundamental tackling. Please Lord, make it so.

Barfield weighs about 170lbs and 'out athleted' all lot of El Paso kids. I think he could play WR or CB in college, but not QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT