ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

How the hell did the Miners land this guy with that offer list? CSW and staff appear to be doing an outstanding job out on the recruiting trail.
UTEP must have a fantastic NIL we don't know about. Regardless, unlike Golding, Walden and his staff can recruit. I am looking forward to what they do with the 2025 class.

UTEP must have a fantastic NIL we don't know about. Regardless, unlike Golding, Walden and his staff can recruit. I am looking forward to what they do with the 2025 class.
You'd have to wonder... Hopefully UTEP is starting to mean business when it comes to athletics... I hate to say it, but Golding needs to be the next one out... He's not developing his players, can't recruit, and let's be honest his coaching is suspect.

Could very well be. My guess is even at the CUSA level of play, he transitions to corner, maybe safety with his tackling ability. Just a guess.
He could try the Alvin Jones approach and beef up (he is almost the identical height). He definitely looks like a playmaker in the middle, but he would need to add some serious bulk to have a chance at LB.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Had previously committed to UL Monroe so I’m suspecting something
I think these players are starting to figure it out. Why sit on the bench at a big program for like 2 0r 3 years. When you can go to a school like Utep and play right away and then the bigger schools will open the big check books and come after them.

Reactions: Dmanminer
The way Walden has recruited to El Paso in a matter of months we can probably put that “you can’t recruit to El Paso” argument to rest. You’ve got weed out these dinosaur coaches who are stuck in their old ways. I’m starting to agree with you guys about Golding too. If you can’t do the job, get the F-out.

The way Walden has recruited to El Paso in a matter of months we can probably put that “you can’t recruit to El Paso” argument to rest. You’ve got weed out these dinosaur coaches who are stuck in their old ways. I’m starting to agree with you guys about Golding too. If you can’t do the job, get the F-out.
Having “young blood” helps. Be as aggressive and show results to climb the coaching ladder. We have a winning program (potentially) and they along with any future staff know this is the place to springboard higher. Win-win

Reactions: Dmanminer

That's what I've been saying. The Sun Bowl itself should be enough to bring in good players. Mike Price was able to bring in good players. The last 2 coaches I think were just too lazy. Rodney Terry and Tim Floyd proved you can recruit to Utep.

Reactions: kickballpro
That's what I've been saying. The Sun Bowl itself should be enough to bring in good players. Mike Price was able to bring in good players. The last 2 coaches I think were just too lazy. Rodney Terry and Tim Floyd proved you can recruit to Utep.
But they didn't have to worry about NIL and which Dimel had an upper hand because he had good juco connections built on years of work. That doesn't mean he was a good head coach; I am saying he was a good recruiter getting players who were looking for a D1 team (and to transfer up).

For example, UTEP had to offer Zid Powell $50,000 for his services (as per Kappy, ESPN600 radio show week of Jan 22-26). How much does Walden have to pay to get the next Tyler Ebell, the next Marcus Thomas, or Lorne Sam? How much NIL did FSU LB transfer Dylan Brown-Turner receive?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
But they didn't have to worry about NIL and which Dimel had an upper hand because he had good juco connections built on years of work. That doesn't mean he was a good head coach; I am saying he was a good recruiter getting players who were looking for a D1 team (and to transfer up).

For example, UTEP had to offer Zid Powell $50,000 for his services (as per Kappy, ESPN600 radio show week of Jan 22-26). How much does Walden have to pay to get the next Tyler Ebell, the next Marcus Thomas, or Lorne Sam? How much NIL did FSU LB transfer Dylan Brown-Turner receive?
Big oof, if true.

But you’ve got an energetic young guy who’s hitting the road hard with his staff. They’re making it fun for these kids on their recruiting trips and they’re giving the fans a glimpse into the process. Kugler couldn’t even get off his ass to recruit outside of El Paso, let alone a kicker.

Actually, he did. Stull opened up the checkbook for Kugler's recruiting. For example, Brian Natkin (Now with the AZ Cardinals) was under Kugler, recruited the pacific NW and NorCal. Kugler got a player from Baltimore (I forgot his name) and Mack Leftwich from Pennsylvania and a linebacker from Wisconsin.

Everyone knows before NIL, players were getting paid. So coaches before did have to go through it. Kruger and Dimel were lazy recruiters and were scared to recruit with the bigger schools. UTEP was scared to recruit against schools in their own conference. Walden is a young coach and he looks hungry. He wants that bigger job , he is putting past coaches to shame. But now we just have to see if he can coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT