ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Guy gives off PJ Fleck vibes. If he turns it around and they win and go to a bowl next year he’s gone, without a doubt.
I hope that Miner fans have come to realize that any coach that comes here is looking to move on to bigger and better, and no longer expect a repeat of Haskins, where a great coach stays here for a career. The melt down among UTEP fans when Gillispe left was ridiculous. I hope that Walden gets poached by a P5 school, that would mean that he would have been extremely successful here at UTEP. What I don't want is a situation where we end up firing him; that we mean we had to endure even more misery.

I hope that Miner fans have come to realize that any coach that comes here is looking to move on to bigger and better, and no longer expect a repeat of Haskins, where a great coach stays here for a career. The melt down among UTEP fans when Gillispe left was ridiculous. I hope that Walden gets poached by a P5 school, that would mean that he would have been extremely successful here at UTEP. What I don't want is a situation where we end up firing him; that we mean we had to endure even more misery.
I've always said that one good coach is what the programs need to get the ball rolling AND it's after that one coach leaves that UTEP needs to make the right decisions to keep it going.

I hope he gets poached too, but unfortunately it won't matter what happens thereafter anymore. The time of building programs is long gone and we missed the boat (Mid to late 2000s was our chance and we blew it with Price and after Barbee). All we can really hope for now Is a good stepping stone coach.

One of the advantages Walden has is being a native Texan. The guy grew up outside Fort Worth. He undestands the importance of establishing relationships with HS coaches in Texas in order to find quality players. The guy has the charisma of a used car salesman, in a good way. He seems genuinely excited about his opportunity of being a FBS HC and is hitting the recruiting trail pretty hard. He can relate to players and players like that in a coach. UTEP should not be afraid to go after the top recruits available…the worst that can happen is they say no.. If you make a good impression on a player he may later transfer to UTEP. Recruting is half the battle.

This is where the program is. Unfortunately the program will have to accept that they’ll probably need three to four coaches who will use UTEP as a stepping stone to a P5. Then on the third or fourth coach they hire someone within the staff who’ll stay for continuity. If Walden turns it around quickly and has them bowling next year and gets poached—well that’s just how it is. And yeah I get the vibe if that happens he’s gone.

And on top of that UTEP is a stepping stone for the players as well. Say the team succeeds next year, more than likely the players who have breakout years will transfer—tell me I’m lying.

Last edited:
They may go in, for the bigger recruits, and leave with a few decent recruits... Many Texas programs, have guys being overlooked right now. Especially with the transfer portal. It's nice to see them getting out there, on the other hand... I'm getting LSU Kelly vibes with the photo above lol

This is where the program is. Unfortunately the program will have to accept that they’ll probably need three to four coaches who will use UTEP as a stepping stone to a P5. Then on the third or fourth coach they hire someone within the staff who’ll stay for continuity. If Walden turns it around quickly and has them bowling next year and gets poached—well that’s just how it is. And yeah I get the vibe of that happens he’s gone.

And on top of that UTEP is a stepping stone for the players as well. Say the team succeeds next year, more than likely the players who have breakout years will transfer—tell me I’m lying.

Seems like the best case scenario for any chance at sustained success is a steady turnaround. 5 or 6 wins next year, 7 or 8 in year 2 and if he wins or gets poached in year 3, at least there's a bit of a foundation as opposed to starting all over after a one-year wonder.

That being said, I'd take the one magical season and worry about the next hire every time if that was the choice.

Last edited:
I see a few comments about Walden being successful 2-3 years and he’s gone. Could someone point to a recent example of that happening to us or one of our conference football members?

Reactions: Lil_Train
I see a few comments about Walden being successful 2-3 years and he’s gone. Could someone point to a recent example of that happening to us or one of our conference football members?
I think if he recruits good and wins next year, he could be poached . He is a young guy 34 years old. His playing career he transferred 3 times.

I think if he recruits good and wins next year, he could be poached . He is a young guy 34 years old. His playing career he transferred 3 times.
Let's see how he performs on the field next season before we crown him. We crowned Golding right away and look how that turned out. I wish someone would take Golding away!

Reactions: FedupMiner
Let's see how he performs on the field next season before we crown him. We crowned Golding right away and look how that turned out. I wish someone would take Golding away!
Nobody is crowning him. I said if he wins. Where in my statement am I crowning him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT