ADVERTISEMENT

Game at UTSA

Up and down for this young team. Not deep enough or experienced enough..... yet. Also, too long a period since last game so rust was evident. The coaching staff is good and will get results next season but they own the problems listed. Should have scheduled a cupcake a few days prior to league play. Should have recruited a transfer or 2 with good experience to help this team. In other words, a throw away season. So screw the fan base for this year.

I have seen it stated on here before. That's why I was being sarcastic.

I hope this team is improved next season! Otherwise, Senter and Terry should lose their jobs.

That is such a ridiculous statement —- yes fire our coach and athletic director after 2 whole seasons

PT....SMH

I'm dissapointed in Eze's progression, but I'm willing to wait since I believe he has a lot of potential. He seemed to catch his footing for a few games there mid OOC. I was expecting at least some more blocks. Too bad neither he nor Efe can guard the 4 (according to Terry). Can we play a little zone?

McGee needs to watch some video of Vinny 'the microwave' Johnson. I'm sure why he is hesitant when others always on a green light.

That is such a ridiculous statement —- yes fire our coach and athletic director after 2 whole seasons

I don't think so. Terry probably won't have a good record this year. If his record is worse next year he should be gone.

PT....SMH

I'm dissapointed in Eze's progression, but I'm willing to wait since I believe he has a lot of potential. He seemed to catch his footing for a few games there mid OOC. I was expecting at least some more blocks. Too bad neither he nor Efe can guard the 4 (according to Terry). Can we play a little zone?

McGee needs to watch some video of Vinny 'the microwave' Johnson. I'm sure why he is hesitant when others always on a green light.

That’s exactly what I have been sayin about eze he just looks sooo stiff and slow...

PT....SMH

Just because Eze is tall and bouncy doesn’t mean he’s got basketball talent.

Man, Eze sure as hell looked athletic in that Canadian All-Star game where he shared co-MVP honors with RJ Barrett, as well as in his other highlight vids.

I know the transition to the college game can be tough but one doesn’t just all of a sudden lose their hops, speed, quickness, etc. Not sure what’s going on with him.

Agreed, however he hasn’t even been bouncy in a UTEP jersey.
Definitely agree as well. I think we expected a super raw guy on the offensive end, but I thought Eze would be way further ahead defensively. At this point, Eze appears to be a long term project who can hopefully develop some/any basketball skills. A red shirt season may be beneficial (although I am not completely sold on that); and with Vila coming next year, it will be interesting to see what direction Terry decides to go moving forward.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Definitely agree as well. I think we expected a super raw guy on the offensive end, but I thought Eze would be way further ahead defensively. At this point, Eze appears to be a long term project who can hopefully develop some/any basketball skills. A red shirt season may be beneficial (although I am not completely sold on that); and with Vila coming next year, it will be interesting to see what direction Terry decides to go moving forward.
He was playing against much smaller players and I think dominated partly gor that reason. However why is his energy and bounce gone on defense and rebounding. Those things should be constant.

He was playing against much smaller players and I think dominated partly gor that reason. However why is his energy and bounce gone on defense and rebounding. Those things should be constant.
He has been a bit disappointing. I remember earlier there were discussions about Efe and Eze on the court together which I never thought was sound, but with the even bigger disappointing PT performance maybe it might be worth a try for a few minutes to see what kind of results we get. At this point I think every option should be explored. Some of these losses are pretty stinky.

Reactions: axingfools1
Man, Eze sure as hell looked athletic in that Canadian All-Star game where he shared co-MVP honors with RJ Barrett, as well as in his other highlight vids.

I know the transition to the college game can be tough but one doesn’t just all of a sudden lose their hops, speed, quickness, etc. Not sure what’s going on with him.
He looks pretty quick and athletic when he gets a free path to the rim. His style is power and above the rim. I don't think he has had much need to learn otherwise...until now. He is just behind. He needs more practice and more playing time. Efe is more skilled at this point, but I just don't see any dynamic potential like with Eze. I think Eze will play better and break through.

Also, Eze looks like his joints are trying to catch up with his bulk. He is bow legged and his back is stiff. I think he is still growing. I just hope he stays healthy while 'getting the freight train back on track'.

I know this team is young and new and going through growing pains. However I'm puzzled, by the quick regression from New Mexico, Marquette on the road and the game or two after that til now. You want to see a young team progress not regress. That's my only issue and I hope it's just a hump they get over and at least get a .500 conference record.

I don’t think they are regressing I honestly just think they are playing to the level of their competition which also a inexperience problem....

Had they lost by 4 or 5 I could see justifying it as playing down to their level of competition. They just got pounded by a better team, I hate to say.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I know this team is young and new and going through growing pains. However I'm puzzled, by the quick regression from New Mexico, Marquette on the road and the game or two after that til now. You want to see a young team progress not regress. That's my only issue and I hope it's just a hump they get over and at least get a .500 conference record.
There are multiple issues in my opinion. Obviously, turnovers have been a problem. However, if I had to focus on one issue in the recent losses, it would be in our outside shooting percentages. The team shot 12% from three point range against UTSA, for example. Right now, Hawkins is shooting around 20% from three point range, Thomas is Thomas, Magee has missed several wide open shots, and Lathon is hurt. We need some guys to step up and make some shots in order to have a chance, especially with Odigie being double and triple teamed down low.

Last edited:
There are multiple issues in my opinion. Obviously, turnovers have been a problem. However, if I had to focus on one issue in the recent losses, it would be in our outside shooting percentages. The team shot 12% from three point range against UTSA, for example. Right now, Hawkins is shooting around 20% from three point range, Thomas is Thomas, and Lathon is hurt. We need some guys to step up and make some shots in order to have a chance, especially with Odigie being double and triple teamed down low.

Totally agree, Lil_Train. Gilyard is hit or miss. Magee won’t shoot. Lathon is injured. Hawkins is shooting at a 20% clip, as you said.

The other day I said inexperience will be our Achilles heel this year, but outside shooting will be our bum knee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT