ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 25th Anniversary UTEP Fans

4f3958df96c41.image.jpg

I was a senior in high school. We were watching from a sports bar in Albuquerque, surrounded by Kansas and NMSU fans, whose game had started a little before ours. They made the S16 that year too. Believe it or not, the Aggies fans joined forces with me and my UTEP-fanatic family when everybody realized, "Holy shit...UTEP is playing better than Kansas." It was so surreal.

I was in the middle of the Gulf War...
Had to tune up the game on R-1051 Receiver.

GO Miners...

I was in the middle of basic training at Ft. Knox, Ky. Heard about it through a drill sergeant if you can believe that.

We played Cincinnati tough that year in the round of 16 too. Cincy had a monster team with several household names and our guys hung tough all the way. We missed some free throws down the stretch and Prince missed a 3 at the buzzer to tie it. What might have been...best team basketball I ever saw.

We played Cincinnati tough that year in the round of 16 too. Cincy had a monster team with several household names and our guys hung tough all the way. We missed some free throws down the stretch and Prince missed a 3 at the buzzer to tie it. What might have been...best team basketball I ever saw.

Not to mention, Maxey got called for a charge on a dunk in which he pretty much went straight up, which would've put us up by one. Can't remember the exact timing but it was within 30-45 seconds of game's end. Cinci went to the final 4 after blowing Penny Hardaway and Memphis out of the water in the round of 8. Could've been us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT