ADVERTISEMENT

If a coaching change takes place this year....

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Who would you recommend?

I firmly believe that if the Miners win out or even win just 3 of the last 4, Stull will not make a change. Does not appear to be his nature. If UTEP loses 2 or 3 of the remaining games, I don't see how he cannot make a change considering the dwindling attendance. I was really hoping Kugler would be successful at UTEP, more for UTEP's sake but also for his. If the Miners win out and go bowling, then I will hope for success next year but I won't expect it.

So, I'll start with a few FCS head coaches that are doing well. My belief is that UTEP needs someone with head coaching success in their background and I believe UTEP could actually land these coaches.

Montana HC Bob Stitt 52 yrs old, 121-68 as of 10/21/16, makes $175k with 2 more years on contract to be bought out.

SHSU HC KC Keeler 57 yrs old, 202-82-1 as of 10/21/16, makes $250k

Central Arkansas HC Steve Campbell, 50 yrs old, 144-50 makes $205k contract ends after 2017 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEP05
Sterling Gilbert, Lincoln Riley, Major Applewhite, Sonny Cumbie, Randy Clements, Kendal Briles, Jake Spavital. Young, energetic coach with a fast paced offense is what UTEP needs. Someone who will bust their ass recruiting, and will put an offense in place that gives us a chance to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CubsFan81
Keeler!
We passed up on another SHSU coach in Willie Fritz, can't happen again!

Uncle Rob will surely disappoint.

Sterling Gilbert, Lincoln Riley, Major Applewhite, Sonny Cumbie, Randy Clements, Kendal Briles, Jake Spavital. Young, energetic coach with a fast paced offense is what UTEP needs. Someone who will bust their ass recruiting, and will put an offense in place that gives us a chance to succeed.
Applewhite does have a potent offense at Houston and certainly has the name to pull recruits. He got a good raise this past summer and now makes $375k so UTEP could offer him another good raise. Would he take a chance on UTEP? Is UTEP going to get, or already have, the reputation as a grave yard for FB coaches?

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...aid-football-coaching-staff-among-7957581.php

Applewhite does have a potent offense at Houston and certainly has the name to pull recruits. He got a good raise this past summer and now makes $375k so UTEP could offer him another good raise. Would he take a chance on UTEP? Is UTEP going to get, or already have, the reputation as a grave yard for FB coaches?

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...aid-football-coaching-staff-among-7957581.php

As also a fan of UH, I can honestly say that we don't want Applewhite at UTEP. His play calling is so vanilla, it would drive people insane. He lacks any sense of creativity. He seems to play call not to lose, rather than to win. MA has the benefit of having Greg Ward, who makes up for many of Applewhite's shortcomings as an OC, so it may not be apparent to those who don't watch the Coogs week in and week out.

However, with that said, UH's offense is no where near as potent this year as it was last year, when Major let Greg be Greg. This year he has tried to turn Ward into more of a pocket passer and the results more than prove the dysfunction. Imagine limiting Lamar Jackson to using just his arm. GW is nearly as good as LJ, with the same tools. Why would MA continue this "project" even though the results have been rather pedestrian? He is stubborn to a fault. Sound familiar?

I think the poster, LaserCoog, would probably agree with me on this. Major Applewhite is not utep's answer. Plus, he turned down both Texas State and UTSA last year, so I wonder if he thinks he'll be taking over when Herm leaves. That's just speculation on my part, though.

As also a fan of UH, I can honestly say that we don't want Applewhite at UTEP. His play calling is so vanilla, it would drive people insane. He lacks any sense of creativity. He seems to play call not to lose, rather than to win. MA has the benefit of having Greg Ward, who makes up for many of Applewhite's shortcomings as an OC, so it may not be apparent to those who don't watch the Coogs week in and week out.

However, with that said, UH's offense is no where near as potent this year as it was last year, when Major let Greg be Greg. This year he has tried to turn Ward into more of a pocket passer and the results more than prove the dysfunction. Imagine limiting Lamar Jackson to using just his arm. GW is nearly as good as LJ, with the same tools. Why would MA continue this "project" even though the results have been rather pedestrian? He is stubborn to a fault. Sound familiar?

I think the poster, LaserCoog, would probably agree with me on this. Major Applewhite is not utep's answer. Plus, he turned down both Texas State and UTSA last year, so I wonder if he thinks he'll be taking over when Herm leaves. That's just speculation on my part, though.

Haven't you heard? There are no Houston fans on this board!

Haven't you heard? There are no Houston fans on this board!

Well, horn, tell you what. I've got a six pack of liquid Mexican that says FanatiCoog and I have about the exact same number of degrees from UTEP as you and the majority of posters on this board. Like it matters...

Reactions: unihorn

Absolutely. I mean, why would UTEP covet a young, energetic, up and coming FBS offensive coordinator with a helluva pedigree, who runs an exciting/up tempo offense, with rising program, and with recruiting tentacles across the state to be their next head coach? OTOH, perhaps the real question is why would a young, up and coming FBS offensive coordinator, with a helluva pedigree, who runs an exciting/up tempo offense, with a rising program, and with recruiting tentacles across the state have the slightest interest in a coaching graveyard like UTEP?

Applewhite didn't all of a sudden get stupid from '15 to '16, not that Houston is exactly a dud this season on offense. I've seen all 9 UH games this season, most in person, most of Houston's offensive issues are due to 1) injuries, and 2) the noise around Herman, and 3) injuries. Especially at RB and OL. UH/Oklahoma, Catalone was the best running back on the field, he's missed most of the season. WRs have underperformed, IMO, and OL is young and not deep, lost 2 starters vs SMU. Offense and Applewhite are not the reason UH is 7-2 this season. UH will be largely healthy for Louisville. Stay tuned...

Well, horn, tell you what. I've got a six pack of liquid Mexican that says FanatiCoog and I have about the exact same number of degrees from UTEP as you and the majority of posters on this board. Like it matters...

I don't have a degree from UTEP, but I'm a fan/supporter/local. It's possible to be a fan of more than one team. My post wasn't directed at you or Fanati -- you guys are good posters.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I am waiting to see what happens after the HBU game. If Kugler wins that game and one more against UNT, Rice or FAU, then Stull will give him one more year.

Kugler, in typical Kugler fashion and predictability, is going to open up the play book for this game like he did against UTSA. How much does anyone want to bet Sinegal will have over 150 yards receiving, Plinke will have 2 td's and 100 yards receiving, Dawn will have 120 yards rushing, 75 receiving, and Metz will have a 400 yard night? Then during post game, Kugler will make his "I'm gonna have a beer" comment and make the radio or TV commentators shit and giggle in their shorts, "everyone on this team is not quitting....if we go down, we're going down swinging....there still a lot to play for..." blah, blah, bull crud Kugler says every damn game, then turn right around the next week to his lame ass run on first and second, screen pass on third, put Kavika in for the pistol late in the third gawd forsaken offense! Part of me does wish that UTEP blows it against HBU, just to put this poor suffering animal to rest.

Last edited:
Never said that, it was stated there were a few on here.
Actually you did say that and I quote your exact words.

"I have seen zero Houston fans on here. How many have you seen and what are their user names? Why would Houston fans care about UTEP?"

In the thread title "Here's a Name that's interesting for our next HC"

I am waiting to see what happens after the HBU game. If Kugler wins that game and one more against UNT, Rice or FAU, then Stull will give him one more year.

So if UTEP beats an average FCS team (HBU) and, say, a one-win Rice team (beat Texas Southern), you're good with giving Kugler a fifth year? Interesting...

Make no mistake, Kugler has ZERO secret weapons for next year (e.g. not signed a game changer QB, not red-shirting a freshman class that's going to immediately propel UTEP to C-USA contender status, etc.). He'll have a full body of work for evaluation after four years on the job. You'll have it all out there - the recruiting results, the trend lines, the W/L record, the (lack) of championships, the enthusiasm around the program (e.g. attendance records) - everything.

Then there's the eyeball test - does this look like a program built for success, on the upswing, that is playing good football, regardless of the level of competition? What is the trend-line, up/down, positive/negative? What is the enthusiasm level around the program (e.g. attendance trend-lines)?

My opinion is that Bob Stull will fire himself before he fires Sean Kugler. This is HIS hire, he got what he wanted, did a solo act with the Kugler experiment - in other words, Stull owns Kugler - and he also owns the current status of the football program.

Last edited:
Actually you did say that and I quote your exact words.

"I have seen zero Houston fans on here. How many have you seen and what are their user names? Why would Houston fans care about UTEP?"

In the thread title "Here's a Name that's interesting for our next HC"

You're right, now I remember and I asked you to name one and you couldn't. I haven't read anything about Houston athletics on here by the certain posters.

So if UTEP beats an average FCS team (HBU) and, say, a one-win Rice team (beat Texas Southern), you're good with giving Kugler a fifth year? Interesting...

Make no mistake, Kugler has ZERO secret weapons for next year (e.g. not signed a game changer QB, not red-shirting a freshman class that's going to immediately propel UTEP to C-USA contender status, etc.). He'll have a full body of work for evaluation after four years on the job. You'll have it all out there - the recruiting results, the trend lines, the W/L record, the (lack) of championships, the enthusiasm around the program (e.g. attendance records) - everything.

Then there's the eyeball test - does this look like a program built for success, on the upswing, that is playing good football, regardless of the level of competition? What is the trend-line, up/down, positive/negative? What is the enthusiasm level around the program (e.g. attendance trend-lines)?

My opinion is that Bob Stull will fire himself before he fires Sean Kugler. This is HIS hire, he got what he wanted, did a solo act with the Kugler experiment - in other words, Stull owns Kugler - and he also owns the current status of the football program.

Nicely put Laser....

I have a feeling Kugler will be back next season. Like mentioned above Stull and Kugler are buds. Stull will do his usual spinning things around to make it seem like things are not as bad as they actually are.

Attendance has plummeted and this reason alone should be the deciding factor to fire Kugler. But last week Stull was asked about the declining attendance and Stull said we are still second or third in attendance in CUSA. So obviously the declining attendance doesn't mean much to Floyd because we are still 2nd and 3rd in cusa.

Stull will say this year exceeded his expectations considering we replaced our OC and DC in the same year and there is a 2 year learning curve. And not even a school like Alabama would win many games if they replaced their OC and DC in the same year.

It is exciting thinking of who we want as our next coach next season, but I'm think there is a very good chance Kugler will return.

Kugler needs to go. This team hasn't improved and the players he has won with has been Prices players. Kuglers recruiting will put the next coach behind big time for the future. He reminds me of Charlie Weis when he took over Kansas. We are still recovering talent wise from that. These pro guys have no idea what it takes in college recruiting to win. Not to mention his bull headed ways with the offense will never make UTEP a winner. Take Aaron out the offense this year and we don't have a win. You cant operate a program off of one player and expect to win. Jones is gonna leave this year, I cant see him coming back to this.

Bringing this thread back to life now that UTEP has secured yet another losing season. Kugler, who I like and really wanted to succeed, should now be done. His 4th team is not better than his 3rd which was not as good as his 2nd. His 1st was horrible but for good reason. I still like the 3 coaches I listed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT