ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP wants to replace the 3 cancelled games....

I'm looking at your link and my link, which are the exact same address but I don't get no sections. I move around and it just says $75. I can't even move the price thing

You don't see this?

Search for Tickets
1. Select number of tickets
  • Sideline online
  • Gold - online
  • Silver - online
  • Bronze - online
  • Endzone General Admission
2. Select your section
  • Best Available

• Gold
    • Gold - online$350.00

• Silver
    • Silver - online$250.00

• Bronze Adult
    • Bronze - online$125.00

• Sideline Reserved
    • Sideline online$75.00

• Endzone online sections 10-16
    • Endzone General Admission$65.00

BYU has games with UTSA and WKU now, but not the closest football playing school to them. Instead we have 2 FCS teams and LaMonroe. Missed chance to get a H/H with them.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
BYU has games with UTSA and WKU now, but not the closest football playing school to them. Instead we have 2 FCS teams and LaMonroe. Missed chance to get a H/H with them.
No we didn’t since Utsa/WKU doesn’t have a h/h with BYU. They’re probably getting paid 400k or less to go play them.

No for me. We already have a payday that will pay us a lot more than BYU. 2 winnable games at home is better than a guaranteed road loss.
I have to agree. Again, I dont like the home game before playing Texas (just because of COVID). I do like having 2 easier games to see if our team can get some traction/confidence. I think it also puts a lot more pressure on Dimel to win.

Reactions: EP Maximus
I have to agree. Again, I dont like the home game before playing Texas (just because of COVID). I do like having 2 easier games to see if our team can get some traction/confidence. I think it also puts a lot more pressure on Dimel to win.
If there’s no outbreaks and we go into conference play at 2-1 or 3-1 how much of a confidence boost does that give the team? Is it enough to get us 3/4 wins in conference? 2020 has been a whacky year. At this point very little will surprise me.

If there’s no outbreaks and we go into conference play at 2-1 or 3-1 how much of a confidence boost does that give the team? Is it enough to get us 3/4 wins in conference? 2020 has been a whacky year. At this point very little will surprise me.
Well like some have said. We will probably start winning this year and then the season will be cancelled.

At least we know that everybody could potentially return if that is the case. Then again I'm not sure if that is good or bad!

Reactions: EP Maximus
I guess

Does it really make a difference if UTEP ends the year at 2-10 instead of 1-11? Are you going to think Dismel is on the right track because he beat ACU instead of losing to BYU?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I guess

Does it really make a difference if UTEP ends the year at 2-10 instead of 1-11? Are you going to think Dismel is on the right track because he beat ACU instead of losing to BYU?
But no one said that. They are saying that getting early momentum may give the team some confidence that leads to more winning. I guess that we've beaten this horse beyond death but 4 or 5 wins would certainly keep Dimel around for at least another year.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I guess

The point has been made. Senter/Dimel want wins over money. I applaud that mentality. I feel good that one of the worst and poorest team’s in America could afford to purchase two guaranteed games during the middle of a pandemic. If it blows up in his face, oh well at least he went down fighting. If the plan works then let’s enjoy a few victories.

So there's a game in 2 weeks. Is the team even ready? I haven't really seen any updates. Do we have a starter at QB yet?

UTEP began camp on Aug 16, due to COVID testing. Most recent article available
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...er-shape-receiver-going-into-2020/3399653001/
The big two? I guess. Cowing is good.

Sound like more rah rah rah, blah blah blah from the EP Times and Dimel. IMO he should have never let Cooper back, but to each his own.

Who is going throw the ball to our "best receiving core in 3 years" and who is gonna make those play calls?

Anybody here have any insight?

I just glanced through the EP Times. To summarize Wadley is healthy, Van Hook is injured, DeHaro is the leader of our O-line, we have the "best receiving core in 3 years" and none of the transfers on our defense have really stood out as of yet. Dimel also thinks that we have a bunch of good looking athletes on our team.

There hasn't been a practice report update from UTEP athletics since Sunday the 16th..

Per Bloomquist Twitter Josh Ortega is back with the team and Deion Hankins participated in his first practice today. Also Goodwin was taking 1st team reps for the first time today.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
maybe they don''t like you
The point has been made. Senter/Dimel want wins over money. I applaud that mentality. I feel good that one of the worst and poorest team’s in America could afford to purchase two guaranteed games during the middle of a pandemic. If it blows up in his face, oh well at least he went down fighting. If the plan works then let’s enjoy a few victories.
Well we have been speculating on how Senter would schedule for replacements and what that would mean. Scheduling for tough road games for money would mean he was through with Dimel. Schedule some possible wins would mean Dimel was given a chance to show improvement and improve his team's confidence. To me and probably most of us, it doesn't matter what our coach's name is but only if he builds a good program that can have success over the years. If it turns out that Dimel can do that then more power to him. It will be interesting to watch the season unfold.

Reactions: JCorona
1.) On the Picksup Podcast, Senter stated that the reason for them adding more games and getting up to an 11 or 12 games schedule, is because if you schedule 12 games and lose 4 games during the season, then you still get in a good 8 game schedule. But if you stay at 8 or 9 games and lose 4 games, then that leaves you with only a 4 or 5 game season. The explanation makes sense.

2.) The ESPN football contract seems like the biggest motivator for the CUSA schools to play and I can’t blame them. According to Senter, the conference has to play a football season in order to get that money and the amount that each school gets is close to half a million. That amount is huge towards keeping the entire athletic department going. Again, I can’t blame them.

3.) I also don’t see any reason for complaining or second guessing which teams have been added to the schedule. This is the one time, in the middle of a pandemic with limited options, that second guessing a schedule just doesn’t make sense. I also don’t think that it is a coincidence that the two new teams added also happen to be from our same state, as crossing state lines adds another potential cancellation risk. Remember that it was less than 90 days ago, that Texas placed a mandatory 14 day quarantine on anyone coming to Texas from Louisiana. By choosing from the few schools still playing football in the state of Texas, that are also available to play on the same dates as you, and also haven’t already been poached by the other Texas schools, who are also looking for the same type of opponents and yet are also much closer. Then that leaves very few options for UTEP way out here. Also remember that the Texas Longhorns did the exact same thing as UTEP, when they had an option of keeping either the Florida team or the Texas team for their non-conference schedule(they kept the weaker Texas school). Texas Tech did the exact same thing as well with their one non-conference game, when they added Houston Baptist. I am perfectly fine with the games that they were able to put together and I don’t see any major underlining ulterior motive in it, other than this was the best option to get us close to an even number of home games and away games for this season, as well as reduce the risk of cancellations.

1.) On the Picksup Podcast, Senter stated that the reason for them adding more games and getting up to an 11 or 12 games schedule, is because if you schedule 12 games and lose 4 games during the season, then you still get in a good 8 game schedule. But if you stay at 8 or 9 games and lose 4 games, then that leaves you with only a 4 or 5 game season. The explanation makes sense.

I guess that means UTEP only played a good "1 game schedule" the past two years.

By losing the game, he meant cancellation. If we schedule 12 games and lose(cancel) 4 games, then you still get an 8 game schedule. But if you only start with an 8 or 9 game schedule and then lose(cancel) 4 games along the way, then that leaves with you only a 4 or 5 game schedule. Essentially, he stated that they are over-scheduling, in the event that some games might get cancelled.

By losing the game, he meant cancellation. If we schedule 12 games and lose(cancel) 4 games, then you still get an 8 game schedule. But if you only start with an 8 or 9 game schedule and then lose(cancel) 4 games along the way, then that leaves with you only a 4 or 5 game schedule. Essentially, he stated that they are over-scheduling, in the event that some games might get cancelled.

I know, I was making a joke. LOL

I had to think that one over a time or two. There’s two ways of interpreting that idea. Makes sense at second glance.

My first thought was if the NCAA, or other powers that be, step in after game 5 for example and 86 the rest of the season, it obviously doesn’t matter if you have 8 or 12 games scheduled. You’ll only get the 5. However, the likelihood exists that there will be cancellations by individual programs therefore scheduling as many games as possible to maximize opportunity does make good sense. Good move by Senter.

Exactly, for instance, if we were currently in-season and scheduled to play ULM for Florida Atlantic this week(who are both now paused due to outbreaks), then those two games would be cancelled and our opportunity to complete a full schedule would be reduced down by a game. So since we are going to try and play, then it makes sense to try to schedule as many as possible to cover cancellations.

Yes, it makes sense, but here is a doomsday scenario that could happen.

UTEP loses to SFA and crowd is way less than 9,000

UTEP has a bunch of players that contract the virus and then Texas cancels the game

Was it a really good plan then? Should have just scheduled SFA on 10/3 or 9/26.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT