ADVERTISEMENT

in Graham we trust!

I couldn't say it any better UTEPDEFENSE!!! Those were my exact thoughts of Kugler. We all new he was going to have a tough time as a head coach and I especially blame Bob stull for all of this. I think if he would have had some good assistance, he would have done a lot better, "You are only as good as the people below you." All great head coaches have great assistant coaches.

Kugler also had a problem with offensive philosophy and we have discussed that to death. Telegraphing what you are going to do, having no success with it and then doing it over and over was never going to work. When he changed coordinators he should have adjusted his offense as well. Spread or power spread, wishbone, the UNM option, anything but running into a brick wall over and over again. As for hiring better assistants, that's up to him. He was supposed to know football and that's part of the head coaches job. He was given as much or more money to hire assistants than everyone in C-USA.

Plenty of Kugler’s undoing was within his control. As MinerInWisconsin said, it has all already been discussed to death and his results at the end speak for themself. My simple point was Kugler is gone, let’s just move on, instead of piling on, and let Kugler Rest In Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: utep2step
Didn’t they open up the pocketbook for Brent Pease? Plus, you have to blame him for bringing on Patrick Higgins that one still bafles me.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Plenty of Kugler’s undoing was within his control. As MinerInWisconsin said, it has all already been discussed to death and his results at the end speak for themself. My simple point was Kugler is gone, let’s just move on, instead of piling on, and let Kugler Rest In Peace.

Well said. Kug knows he'll find work. He has waaaaay to much valuable assistant coaching experience in FBS and NFL. Betcha he goes to Cleveland next year.

Jesus, it's not like he's dead.

Reactions: JCorona
He was beaten up pretty good over the years. This was David Lee all over again. His players loved him and his discipline. He just couldn't win with his option/wishbone offense. These are not my words. This is from the mouth of a former player from the Lee days.

He was beaten up pretty good over the years. This was David Lee all over again. His players loved him and his discipline. He just couldn't win with his option/wishbone offense. These are not my words. This is from the mouth of a former player from the Lee days.

Option/wishbone?

He ran variations of them way before Army and GT made it look good again. Army runs it with precision. It's having the right player personnel that Lee struggled with. Gray (qb) ran it ok but Air Force, BYwho, Wyoming always disected it well. He then went to the air and UTEP reached 1000 yards passing under his offense one year. I think he brought John Rayborn to add as a passing threat and UTEP almost beat AF at their place once. But closeness only counts in horseshoes or washas (a popular mexican version).

Did I answer your question?

He ran variations of them way before Army and GT made it look good again. Army runs it with precision. It's having the right player personnel that Lee struggled with. Gray (qb) ran it ok but Air Force, BYwho, Wyoming always disected it well. He then went to the air and UTEP reached 1000 yards passing under his offense one year. I think he brought John Rayborn to add as a passing threat and UTEP almost beat AF at their place once. But closeness only counts in horseshoes or washas (a popular mexican version).

Did I answer your question?

Oh, I thought you were talking about Kugler. Who are you talking about?

Okay, seriously, so "inside info" would take Harrell over K.C. Keeler? If so, "inside info" better do their homework. And BTW, while Harrell played at TT, he is NOT a West Texas guy, not that you necessarily need a WT guy...
He grew up in Big Lake Texas, pretty much west texas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT