ADVERTISEMENT

Injury bug hits UTEP bball

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
As per minerrush, Floyd said Caldwell has a concussion and Wilms has bad foot pain and may be lost for year. Romine will not be redshirted.

It's a good thing we look deep this year (so far). All the best for a full recovery to Caldwell, as he inspires the whole team with his heart and aggressive play. I feel for Willms, who has also given his all in spite of the pain.

On the plus side it looks as though we can rotate at least 10 players with little dropoff, a pleasant situation to face, given the lack of depth the past few seasons.

We still have Harris, who will most certainly find a place in the rotation mid-December (if he makes the grades).

Reactions: mikesarabia
With omega Harris how does that work? Is he out because he failed a class or because his gpa fell below a certain range? It's just failing a class isn't it?

Like someone above posted we have a lot of depth this year which I love....unless we go through something like the football team we should be ok!! We already knew Willms was going to have a tough time making it very long so that is not a big surprise I hope he gets things taken care of and heals up quickly!! I knew these guys could shoot the ball but wow did they shoot the three ball great last night, although I do have to ask what is up with touchets shot ? They haven't even been close!!! Nerves?? Maybe he just needs that first one to drop before he gets rolling?

The sad thing is that stress fractures tend to be a career-ending for many 7 foot plus athletes. I'm not sure that surgery or rest will eliminate the constant pain Willms is feeling.

0 rebounds for Hooper last night. That just can't happen. I don't expect 10 a game from him, but a few would be nice.

We still won comfortable. Who cares if he had zero rebounds. Texas St is a tough team. They play in the Sun Belt. One of the best leagues in college basketball.

Reactions: Epsilon00
We still won comfortable. Who cares if he had zero rebounds. Texas St is a tough team. They play in the Sun Belt. One of the best leagues in college basketball.
Okay, beginning to sound more and more like Chih. May be time to hit the
"Ignore" button. Please say it isn't so.

Reactions: topminer
Like someone above posted we have a lot of depth this year which I love....unless we go through something like the football team we should be ok!! We already knew Willms was going to have a tough time making it very long so that is not a big surprise I hope he gets things taken care of and heals up quickly!! I knew these guys could shoot the ball but wow did they shoot the three ball great last night, although I do have to ask what is up with touchets shot ? They haven't even been close!!! Nerves?? Maybe he just needs that first one to drop before he gets rolling?
I agree with you, don't know what's up with Touchet. His stroke was excellent in winning the three point shooting contest (albeit with nobody guarding him). I think you are correct, could be nerves. He needs to shake that to add another weapon for the team.

If Wilms can't go, that raises a huge concern. Texas St. beat us like a drum inside last night even with Wilms. No Wilms and a not-so-physical Hooper means 3 true freshmen and one red-shirt freshman will have to play significant minutes. There are going to be a number of teams that try to exploit that, one is NMSU with Siakam and a slimmer (down to 290 pounds from 335) Bular. If we have to depend on the three, we better hope we stay hot for the rest of the season. I hope our young frontcourt grows up fast.

We may be OK inside, Jones, Thomas and Winn all looked like freshman last night, but they did some good stuff. Thomas looks like Mr. Hustle and he will adjust his game. Jones will never win a weightlifting completion but he is a really quick 6-10, and Winn is aggressive and plays stronger than he looks. What I love about these kids is that they know their value as roles on this team, Winn last night was working hard to be the rebounder we need, Jones was playing the role as shot blocker, and before the season ends he is going to fill that role, Thomas is the "garbage forward" who grabs stray shots and tipped passes. All three play as a team. If we can shoot like last night these guys are going to get plenty of chances inside. These guys along with Vint, who can score we may have enough inside to make a go of it. It is really strange how in one season we went from and get in low, power block team to a pass it around open look perimeter type team. I guess other teams will have to discard last years film because we are a very, very different animal this year.

As time goes on I believe Thomas, Jones, and Winn will get more rebounds because of their quickness. A healthy Caldwell also makes a difference.

Call me crazy, but I feel Jones has the potential to be a Tayshaun Prince-style player as he is tall and quick enough to elude many other big guys. I hope I am not expecting too much.

Thomas already seems to have improved by quantum leaps (another true freshman who is already contributing).

As everyone else has noted Vint needs to position himself better for rebounds. I think his offense is coming along well.

As time goes on I believe Thomas, Jones, and Winn will get more rebounds because of their quickness. A healthy Caldwell also makes a difference.

Call me crazy, but I feel Jones has the potential to be a Tayshaun Prince-style player as he is tall and quick enough to elude many other big guys. I hope I am not expecting too much.

Thomas already seems to have improved by quantum leaps (another true freshman who is already contributing).

As everyone else has noted Vint needs to position himself better for rebounds. I think his offense is coming along well.
I see what you're saying. Jones can shoot it well from medium range and he's got good length like Tayshaun Prince. I also have seen improvement in Thomas's game. Both are going to be great!

Don't forget Christian romaine I think he is going to help too!..... I could be wrong but judging from their form it looks like jones and Thomas can shoot that midrange shot as someone alluded to earlier....if would be really awesome if we could have guys on the court at once that can put up some numbers !

We may be OK inside, Jones, Thomas and Winn all looked like freshman last night, but they did some good stuff. Thomas looks like Mr. Hustle and he will adjust his game. Jones will never win a weightlifting completion but he is a really quick 6-10, and Winn is aggressive and plays stronger than he looks. What I love about these kids is that they know their value as roles on this team, Winn last night was working hard to be the rebounder we need, Jones was playing the role as shot blocker, and before the season ends he is going to fill that role, Thomas is the "garbage forward" who grabs stray shots and tipped passes. All three play as a team. If we can shoot like last night these guys are going to get plenty of chances inside. These guys along with Vint, who can score we may have enough inside to make a go of it. It is really strange how in one season we went from and get in low, power block team to a pass it around open look perimeter type team. I guess other teams will have to discard last years film because we are a very, very different animal this year.

Totally agree. UTEP shot lights out from 3 point range but that's not going to happen all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT