ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Golding - ACU Head Coach

Seems like once some of these coaches get to the P5 level, they forget how to game plan and scheme. The game becomes who has the better athletes and a game of which players can beat their defender 1v1.

Not sure how Shaka Smart went from an X's and O's guy to a guy who is trying to out recruit the Big12.

The Loyola Chicago game was amazing to see coaching easily defeat talent.

the Drew family coaching tree seems to be producing some good coaches. Oral Roberts and UNT coaches. I wonder if we could hire away Bryce Drew from Grand canyon? although I'm sure he will get another chance with a p5 school again. we have someone off of the.... Rick Barnes tree🙄

Reactions: kickballpro
We have never heard anything like this come from Coach Terry’s mouth:

It's about family," Golding said. "It's not fake. It's not fake at all. We have been doing that all year and we have been doing that the last two or three years here. We have a saying in our program, from October to March, we play for what's on the front of our chest. From March to October, we develop our players and we get better and we work on their game. But from October to March, it's about what's on the front of your chest. And it's been that way around here for awhile.

So coach Terry was extended and will be with UTEP for a while. Senter's contract is up in August. Why not move Terry into the AD slot to avoid the buyout. Couldn't be any worse than Senter. Hire Golden as mbb coach and away we go.

Yeah, Golding outsmarted Smart, but I’d rather have someone who can coach offense too.
While they are a defense first team, they averaged 75 pts a game. Had several games where they scored in the 90s. The players are in constant motion without the ball and make good cuts to the basket. Their offense is far more complex than what Terry runs. They just don’t have the horses.

It was to their advantage to keep the score low against the big boys. They were the smallest team in the tournament. Full of 0 star guys. No way to hang night in and night out with the big boys. They blew their wad in the upset of UT. Wasn’t much left in the tank for UCLA.

While they are a defense first team, they averaged 75 pts a game. Had several games where they scored in the 90s. The players are in constant motion without the ball and often find guys making good cuts to the basket. Their offense is far more complex than what Terry runs. They just don’t have the horses.

It was to their advantage to keep the score low against the big boys. They were the smallest team in the tournament. Full of 0 star guys. No way to hang night in and night out with the big boys. They blew their wad in the upset of UT. Wasn’t much left in the tank for UCLA.

Cronin also didn’t play to their only strength.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Texas needs to cut Shaka loose.

He was on the hot seat coming into the season, did rather well and now lost to ACU.

AD's "go dark" during post season tournament. Let's see what UT does after April 5th?

Who do you think Texas goes after? Even if Terry had taken us to back to back tournaments, I don't think he would be a serious candidate. Maybe if he had a sweet 16 run.

I have no idea who they go after. I was trying to come up with a few names earlier, but really didn’t settle on anyone.

I’m curious if Texas puts up the money and effort to go after someone really good from a power conference or do they go the same route and go after another Shaka type...a G5 up and comer?

I thought smart was a strong hire. He took VCU to the final four. Texas will have plenty of interest from high profile names. The new arena will make this an even more attractive opportunity.
Shaka is a damn good coach. I didn’t know if he would be a good fit at UT or not, though. UT is finicky.

no

decent recruiter
great player relationships
terrible game management
Really good recruiter at VCU. Great game time manager at VCU. Not very good at either at UT. Similar to Herman. Although Herman brought the horses in, he just couldn’t manage them.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Really good recruiter at VCU. Great game time manager at VCU. Not very good at either at UT. Similar to Herman. Although Herman brought the horses in, he just couldn’t manage them.

only had one great year at VCU

never won conference at VCU

only had one great year at VCU

never won conference at VCU
Well let’s put it in perspective. He never had less than 26 wins in a season. TWENT SIX. He never dipped below .700 winning percentage for a season. He guided VCU to 5 NCAA tournament appearances. A final 4. He won the CBI in the only year he didn’t go to the dance. He good!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT