ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Dorenbos is getting a Super Bowl ring.

alamo_miner

All Star
Mar 15, 2005
This was awesome to read. Any other UTEP alumni with a SB ring?

The Eagles traded long snapper Jon Dorenbos to the Saints in late August. A physical in New Orleans revealed an aortic aneurysm that ended Dorenbos’ career.

But Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie invited Dorenbos to attend the Super Bowl as an honorary part of the team.

“Had I played, I’d die. If you can’t play in it, this is the next best way to enjoy it,” Dorenbos said, via Joel Erickson of The Advocate. “Mr. Lurie called me and said he wants me to be a part of it, said I was here a long time and he said, ‘We’re going to win this, and you’re going to get a ring.'”

Dorenbos spent 11 seasons in Philadelphia, but he was most grateful for the Eagles trading him. He credits that with saving his life as he continues to recover from surgery.

“My fate was what it was,” Dorenbos said. “I’m just happy to be around guys I played with for so long.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/05/eagles-promise-jon-dorenbos-a-super-bowl-ring/

That's great news for him. At the time he was playing he was one of the best at his position; hence why he stayed so long in Philly.

For what's it worth since we all get on the "Which UTEP coach had the best recruits" banter, chalk this one on the Nord post. If I remember correctly, I think Dorenbos was a direct Nord recruit from So Cal since Nord recruited there somewhat heavily. Does anyone know?

For what's it worth since we all get on the "Which UTEP coach had the best recruits" banter, chalk this one on the Nord post. If I remember correctly, I think Dorenbos was a direct Nord recruit from So Cal since Nord recruited there somewhat heavily. Does anyone know?
Yup! After Jon's Pops murdered his mom, the dude wanted to leave his hometown. He was trying to score a scholarship anywhere and submitted recruiting tapes of his buddy to different colleges. Nord took the bait.

If you haven't seen the Real Sports segment on him, take some time out of your life to do so!

Reactions: El Paso 777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT