ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s have another downtown arena chat

Des Moines is the largest city and capital of Iowa. Which El Paso is neither of Texas. Des Moines is the epicenter of entertainment for Iowans.

What makes you think El Pasoans would support an AHL team?
Chicago is as close to the Quad Cities as Des Moines is. Cedar Rapids/Iowa City are two hours away from Des Moines and their sports entertainment options are dominated by the Iowa Hawkeyes. People aren't driving hours to Des Moines to watch a G-League team play.

Perhaps Des Moines gets the biggest concerts in its region (although the concerts I attended were in Cedar Rapids and Waterloo), but if Des Moines is the biggest draw for its region, that's what El Paso should aspire to be. El Paso should have the arena with the biggest concerts to draw people from New Mexico and Juárez.

Des Moines does have competition for entertainment; eastern Iowa has Chicago and northern Iowa has Minneapolis. Wisconsin Dells draws people away during the summer.

I think El Paso would embrace an AHL team because they have embraced the AAA Chihuahuas and the USL Locomotive, which are in comparable leagues in their sports' hierarchies. AHL teams are NHL affiliates and some players will rotate between the AHL and NHL team. It's a higher level of play. But hockey is a cold weather sport, so it's certainly possible it wouldn't take hold in El Paso.

Reactions: Rot and kickballpro
Chicago is as close to the Quad Cities as Des Moines is. Cedar Rapids/Iowa City are two hours away from Des Moines and their sports entertainment options are dominated by the Iowa Hawkeyes. People aren't driving hours to Des Moines to watch a G-League team play.

Perhaps Des Moines gets the biggest concerts in its region (although the concerts I attended were in Cedar Rapids and Waterloo), but if Des Moines is the biggest draw for its region, that's what El Paso should aspire to be. El Paso should have the arena with the biggest concerts to draw people from New Mexico and Juárez.

Des Moines does have competition for entertainment; eastern Iowa has Chicago and northern Iowa has Minneapolis. Wisconsin Dells draws people away during the summer.

I think El Paso would embrace an AHL team because they have embraced the AAA Chihuahuas and the USL Locomotive, which are in comparable leagues in their sports' hierarchies. AHL teams are NHL affiliates and some players will rotate between the AHL and NHL team. It's a higher level of play. But hockey is a cold weather sport, so it's certainly possible it wouldn't take hold in El Paso.
Would you buy season tickets?

Would you buy season tickets?
For an AHL team? If I lived in El Paso, I would go to games, but no, I wouldn't buy season tickets. I never bought season tickets for the Diablos and I wouldn't buy season tickets for the Chihuahuas or Locomotive if I lived there. I would go to some of the games, which is what most people do for their local minor league teams.

For an AHL team? If I lived in El Paso, I would go to games, but no, I wouldn't buy season tickets. I never bought season tickets for the Diablos and I wouldn't buy season tickets for the Chihuahuas or Locomotive if I lived there. I would go to some of the games, which is what most people do for their local minor league teams.
You can obviously do whatever you want, but season ticket holders are critical for sports teams.

You would assume the AHL would want to expand here. The 3 closest teams, Arizona, Colorado, and Dallas have in state affiliates already. I would take a guess and say that “most” El Pasoans are already fans of those teams or would be interested in seeing them here. What if El Paso was a Calgary Flames or Florida Panthers affiliate? Can’t imagine interest would be high for that.

Anything is possible, but if you’re building an arena and hope to attract a AHL team, I don’t see it being successful. You would also hurt the Rhinos. That’s business, but what can you do?

Build the arena, but I don’t think any minor league team would be extremely successful. The Chihuahuas have plenty of empty seats every non-weekend game and it’s rarely sold out anymore. Same with the Locomotive.

You would assume the AHL would want to expand here. The 3 closest teams, Arizona, Colorado, and Dallas have in state affiliates already. I would take a guess and say that “most” El Pasoans are already fans of those teams or would be interested in seeing them here. What if El Paso was a Calgary Flames or Florida Panthers affiliate? Can’t imagine interest would be high for that.

Anything is possible, but if you’re building an arena and hope to attract a AHL team, I don’t see it being successful. You would also hurt the Rhinos. That’s business, but what can you do?

Build the arena, but I don’t think any minor league team would be extremely successful. The Chihuahuas have plenty of empty seats every non-weekend game and it’s rarely sold out anymore. Same with the Locomotive.
just build it.. period .. they will come..

The real Diablos were long gone by the time El Paso got a AAA team. The "Diablos" in name only after that were an indy team already struggling and when they became the Joplin Blasters only lasted one season
Right. The Diablos were nowhere close to AAA, or even the AA level that they used to be.

If El Paso can bring in an AHL team, then bring in the AHL team. Just like the AAA team. "But the Rhinos..." sounds just like "but the Diablos" to me.

Right. The Diablos were nowhere close to AAA, or even the AA level that they used to be.

If El Paso can bring in an AHL team, then bring in the AHL team. Just like the AAA team. "But the Rhinos..." sounds just like "but the Diablos" to me.
I'm all for it. AHL is higher level than WPHL or CHL were (both defunct) and wayyyy above the Tier III developmental Rhinos

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT