ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s have another downtown arena chat

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
The battle lines are entrenched between:

Against: they’re for historical preservation and against spending so much $$$ and further burdening taxpayers. They think the arena could now cost as much as $500M.

For: they say there’s no worth in preserving the buildings in the proposed footprint and that an arena will be an economic engine for downtown and El Paso. They’re against an updated cost estimate.

My take: the city has bungled this whole thing. I’d get a new estimate, and put it up for another vote. I think it would lose.

Reactions: mineralum94
The battle lines are entrenched between:

Against: they’re for historical preservation and against spending so much $$$ and further burdening taxpayers. They think the arena could now cost as much as $500M.

For: they say there’s no worth in preserving the buildings in the proposed footprint and that an arena will be an economic engine for downtown and El Paso. They’re against an updated cost estimate.

My take: the city has bungled this whole thing. I’d get a new estimate, and put it up for another vote. I think it would lose.

I am for tearing down Durangito. Any historical preservation will bring very little tourism if any to the area. You’re fooling yourself if you think white people with money want to come down there and see all the people crossing the border.

I am against building an unnecessary arena. Who is going to be the full time tenant? Some hockey team that will put the Rhinos out of business and at best be marginally successful, if that. Some arena football team playing 10 games a year?

One of you will say a G League team. Who the **** is going downtown for that shit? I also against because the city has lost my confidence in getting it done. Hopefully it goes to a vote, so we can vote it down. Some clowns will be upset because we’re missing out on 1 minor UFC event every year and 1 Eagles concert, but it doesn’t make up for the cost to keep the facility up.

I am for tearing down Durangito. Any historical preservation will bring very little tourism if any to the area. You’re fooling yourself if you think white people with money want to come down there and see all the people crossing the border.

I am against building an unnecessary arena. Who is going to be the full time tenant? Some hockey team that will put the Rhinos out of business and at best be marginally successful, if that. Some arena football team playing 10 games a year?

One of you will say a G League team. Who the **** is going downtown for that shit? I also against because the city has lost my confidence in getting it done. Hopefully it goes to a vote, so we can vote it down. Some clowns will be upset because we’re missing out on 1 minor UFC event every year and 1 Eagles concert, but it doesn’t make up for the cost to keep the facility up.
Then what to do with the scraped site?

Sadly I think the time for the arena has passed. It should be taken to a vote obviously, but I think the money should be repurposed to recoup money lost during COVID, replenish the city's police dept and cleaning crews, and build an open stadium for soccer/events.

Does anybody know how we are doing on the children's museum??

Sadly I think the time for the arena has passed. It should be taken to a vote obviously, but I think the money should be repurposed to recoup money lost during COVID, replenish the city's police dept and cleaning crews, and build an open stadium for soccer/events.

Children’s Museum is under construction.

Reactions: axingfools1

It was taken to a vote. It passed. I just wonder what you do now. How do you vote for something, raise the taxes, and not build it?

El Pasoans should demand a refund

Reactions: unihorn
It was taken to a vote. It passed. I just wonder what you do now. How do you vote for something, raise the taxes, and not build it?

I think voting specifically for the site would be worthwhile. Otherwise you're right.

I think the side of preservation would still be against it even if voted approved to the specific site, but they would have a hard time arguing against the will of the people when so much of their argument is that the original bond wasn't specific enough.

So basically history isn't worth preserving if there isn't tourism money involved or if white people won't be interested?

I learn toward building the arena in the area, but takes like yours are probably why it won't happen.

So basically history isn't worth preserving if there isn't tourism money involved or if white people won't be interested?

I learn toward building the arena in the area, but takes like yours are probably why it won't happen.
That’s not what I said. I am only referring to that particular area. If the history was so worth “preserving” it wouldn’t have looked the way it did. What exactly would El Paso be losing if we bulldozed that area?

That’s not what I said. I am only referring to that particular area. If the history was so worth “preserving” it wouldn’t have looked the way it did. What exactly would El Paso be losing if we bulldozed that area?
Hmmm, I also don't think arguing that because something is in disrepair it isn't historic or isn't worth preserving will work.

This is why I feel like we as voters should have choice as to where it should be built with all the information in hand.

Anyone for saving the area should make a compelling argument as to the historical significance, why it is worth preserving, and what specifically will be done to preserve it. Just because something is old doesn't mean it is worth saving. The area does have some cool potential, but if the arena goes away and then the area just remains an eyesore, what really is the point now that everyone has also been kicked out, buildings purchased, and some of the buildings are damaged?

The city can then counter with how they will incorporate existing structures into the planned building as was originally planned, hopefully update cost projections since we are a decade since the bond, and argue why they feel the area isn't as historically significant as folks think it is.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I think voting specifically for the site would be worthwhile. Otherwise you're right.

I think the side of preservation would still be against it even if voted approved to the specific site, but they would have a hard time arguing against the will of the people when so much of their argument is that the original bond wasn't specific enough.
Another problem now is they likely can’t build it for what they thought it would cost.

I agree 100%. It’s been so long I can imagine what an arena at 2021 prices will cost. This all came down to a bunch of dimwits at the city who were unable to define a proper arena on the ballot vs a professor and his sugar daddy. Eff them all.

Yeah I know. There was an original vote for the bond in 2012, but the question is what should we do now. Should we vote again on what the city should do with the money? I guess a re-vote could include the option of a refund on the portion for the arena. That money has already lost value though.

Yeah I know. There was an original vote for the bond in 2012, but the question is what should we do now. Should we vote again on what the city should do with the money? I guess a re-vote could include the option of a refund on the portion for the arena. That money has already lost value though.
Pretty sure the city issued bonds, so there’s nothing to refund.

The new Dickies Arena in Downtown Ft. Worth is really nice, but it cost over $500M.
I don’t know too much of the backstory behind the arena, but I can assume Ft Worth wanted to pull more events from Dallas and bring those dollars to them instead. Not sure what an arena here accomplishes. Are we stealing events from Las Cruces? What events are going to come here every week?

I don’t know too much of the backstory behind the arena, but I can assume Ft Worth wanted to pull more events from Dallas and bring those dollars to them instead. Not sure what an arena here accomplishes. Are we stealing events from Las Cruces? What events are going to come
Events schedule — annual FW Stock Show and Rodeo is anchor event I would think.

https://dickiesarena.com/events/

Last edited:
This mentality is prevalent through El Paso. We have a 45 year old Haskins center and 60 year old Sun Bowl. Why do we need a new place? What kind of events would come that don't already?

I love El Paso but I don't think I would ever move back.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

I love El Paso and I absolutely would move back if I could. My better half is not from there so she's not so hip on moving there. But, I've already told her that if she dies before me I WILL die in El Paso. Even then, I think I may be moving her in that direction. She loves Sunset Heights. I just need to keep taking her back there and showing her the beauty of my home town.

I love El Paso and I absolutely would move back if I could. My better half is not from there so she's not so hip on moving there. But, I've already told her that if she dies before me I WILL die in El Paso. Even then, I think I may be moving her in that direction. She loves Sunset Heights. I just need to keep taking her back there and showing her the beauty of my home town.
Maybe one day when I'm old and out of energy I'll consider moving back. For now I love all the new buildings and construction sites going up everywhere everyday around Austin.

Sunset Heights is where it's at. I live there now.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
This mentality is prevalent through El Paso. We have a 45 year old Haskins center and 60 year old Sun Bowl. Why do we need a new place? What kind of events would come that don't already?

What events are going to come for a 10,000 seat arena? And that’s even if it gets that big. Is a month long live stock show leaving Ft Worth to come to EP instead? No. We’re really missing out on a NLL lacrosse team!

At this point, scrap the arena and do something else with the money.

What events are going to come for a 10,000 seat arena? And that’s even if it gets that big. Is a month long live stock show leaving Ft Worth to come to EP instead? No. We’re really missing out on a NLL lacrosse team!

At this point, scrap the arena and do something else with the money.
It's not my fight anymore. I honestly don't care if nothing gets built. It's the El Paso way.

It's not my fight anymore. I honestly don't care if nothing gets built. It's the El Paso way.
Nobody has given a reasonable idea for what events or team is going to put dates on calendar. That’s why it’s not needed. The city wants to put it downtown, they don’t want to work with UTEP, so that’s the deal.

Nobody has given a reasonable idea for what events or team is going to put dates on calendar. That’s why it’s not needed. The city wants to put it downtown, they don’t want to work with UTEP, so that’s the deal.
The same events and maybe even better ones that go to the Don. Now the city keeps all profits and at the same time revitalizes downtown.

When I went to to the Locomotive game I didn't feel like I was in El Paso. The Abraham Chavez theater had a long entrance line. I don't know what event was happening at the convention center but that had a line too. After the game a ton of people were walking around from all three buildings. SWUP, theater and convention center.

You don't understand that kind of lifestyle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT