ADVERTISEMENT

Miner-Aggie game

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
A bunch of people need to go to Cruces and support our guys and especially the freshmen. I was somewhat discouraged after Grand Canyon and Tech, but after their second half effort against UTPB and with the possible addition of Hawkeye it could be a pleasant surprise. How about it? How many of you are going? I remember in the good old days what a great time that was.

A bunch of people need to go to Cruces and support our guys and especially the freshmen. I was somewhat discouraged after Grand Canyon and Tech, but after their second half effort against UTPB and with the possible addition of Hawkeye it could be a pleasant surprise. How about it? How many of you are going? I remember in the good old days what a great time that was.
I'll be at the Abraham Chavez Theatre that night watching GHOST.

I'll be at the Abraham Chavez Theatre that night watching GHOST.
Very talented musicians using an old hard rock cliche. But as they have stated for decades in the rock industry "The devil sells". Who is the singer now? papa emeritus the XXII? More like papa b($er. I'll stick with Volbeat.

Anyways, I digress. I will try to go but may have to help Mrs. 2step with a fund raiser.

Fans, you all wanted a tougher schedule. UTEP delivered. NMSU twice, @ Arizona and @UNM just this month alone. That's a tough schedule for rookies trying to earn their cookies.

Reactions: HeWore62

I think we'll gel better towards the end of the season, but the grand Canyon and TT exhibitions were probably a better gauge of where we're at. NMSU should hand us our lunch, and then some.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I’ve gone before, and feel like I should go, but I just hate being around those red-ass aggroids.

I think we'll gel better towards the end of the season, but the grand Canyon and TT exhibitions were probably a better gauge of where we're at. NMSU should hand us our lunch, and then some.
"If the Miners are in a tight game, however, they can't afford two of their three big men to foul out of any games.

“Paul is our most experienced guy that we have playing for us this year,” Terry said. “We need him on the floor defensively and offensively, and he’s got to learn how to play and stay out of foul trouble. We need him out on floor and we need his leadership.”

Teams will attack their tight, seven-man rotation lineup and try to get UTEP in foul trouble early on. Guys like Magee, Gilyard and Lathon played over 37 minutes, which they will probably be required to do each night."

Coach Terry, that ship of Thomas not fouling out left the harbor long before you arrived. However, defense, forty percent or better from the field and 50% from the arc is UTEP's best chances beating a more experienced NMSU. That's why they play the game.

http://krod.com/five-initial-reactions-from-utep-mens-basketballs-first-game/

If Hawkins can play and Giles can continue to give us some decent minutes, then we can go 8 deep (which is what most teams do anyway). PT need to give us 30 minutes. I would like to see a lineup of Gilyard and Nighthawk in the backcourt with Lathon at the 3 and PT/Odigie at the 4/5. I'm a big fan of Eze, but Efe is much better offensively right now. I like Eze off the bench and McGee coming in as the sixth man to light a fire when needed. Giles 10-15 minutes would be great since there is not much drop off.

CRT said post game that Eze is a freight train waiting to find the right track. When he finds it then lookout!

Reactions: miner1liner
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but once Hawkeye plays a full game; what he adds is going to be huge. As you said if we can go a quality eight deep, we will win some unexpected games. I don't think we've seen the real Lathon yet.

Reactions: axingfools1
Hate to say it but the Aggies look equal if not better than last years version. (more team, less one man show). Jans is great coach, and his teams play in your face tough. I hope the Miner freshman can show some __________ and not backdown. Good test early for the Miners.

Reactions: miner1liner
My fondest memory of driving up to that shit hole, cow chip rodeo arena was when Culpepper went off on the aggroids. I was sitting in the midst of the red neck horde who were screaming “Smurf” at Randy. I was with my young boys who loved and still love Randy. I screamed back til I lost my voice, but Randy had the last word.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Even their fight song sucks. The "WAC" they play in is by name only and nothing like the conference UTEP was competitive in for years.

CUSA 14th rated one bid conference in 2018
WAC 15th rated one bid conference in 2018
We're both in shovel sh-- conferences, only difference is they dominate theirs

CUSA 14th rated one bid conference in 2018
WAC 15th rated one bid conference in 2018
We're both in shovel sh-- conferences, only difference is they dominate theirs

That’s just stupid.... our top 4-5 programs in cusa would dominate the wac... uab, mid tenn st, western Kentucky, old dominion .... cusa has its bottom dwellers holding the league down— it’s top5 would destroy the wac top 5

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Don't kill the messenger.....arguing over which is better is like two ticks arguing over the dog they are riding on. Both conferences are bottom of the barrel, period.

(Warren Nolan .com) 2017-18
Conference Win% Non Conference Win % Rank
CUSA .4896 .4733 14th
WAC .4827 .4505 15th

(CBSSPORTS.com) 2017-18
Conference RPI Rank
CUSA .4859 20th
WAC .4905 14th

(realtime.com) current
Conference Strength of Schedule
WAC 1st
CUSA 17th

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
When was the last time the WAC won a game in the NCAA Tourney??? NMSU dominates their weak conference and gets blown out in the NCAA Tourney every year. CUSA has been knocking off the 3rd seed in the NCA Tourney the past 4 or 5 years. It is obvious that NMSU would not have nowhere the same success in CUSA. The proof is in the NCAA Tourney that the TOP Cusa team is waaaay better than the top WAC team.

Last edited:
When was the last time the WAC won a game in the NCAA Tourney??? NMSU dominates their weak conference and gets blown out in the NCAA Tourney every year. CUSA has been knocking off the 3rd seed in the NCA Tourney the past 4 or 5 years. It is obvious that NMSU would not have nowhere the same success in CUSA. The proof is in the NCAA Tourney that the TOP Cusa team is waaaay better than the top WAC team.

The last time I checked, NMSU has won 9 out of the last 10 contests between the two schools. NMSU owns UTEP.

We have 10 new players to this years team and only returning 1 starter. We lost our top 2 guys to the NBA. Also our best player is injured and will be out until December/January. At this point Coach Jans is still trying to figure out our lineups as we played 13 players in our last game. We have only lost to utep once since 2013. The rivalry is dying as people don’t show up like they use to. These games don’t sell out as there are so many options to watch on TV. Hopefully Jans and Terry can get this rivalry back to where it use to be.

We have 10 new players to this years team and only returning 1 starter. We lost our top 2 guys to the NBA. Also our best player is injured and will be out until December/January. At this point Coach Jans is still trying to figure out our lineups as we played 13 players in our last game.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cube Jack
That’s cool, you don’t have to care. Just giving miner fans on this forum a little breakdown of our team. You guys aren’t the only team with a ton of new faces. With all the new players on both teams this early in the season, it comes down to coaching on who wins these games.

Reactions: groundrounds
We have 10 new players to this years team and only returning 1 starter. We lost our top 2 guys to the NBA. Also our best player is injured and will be out until December/January. At this point Coach Jans is still trying to figure out our lineups as we played 13 players in our last game. We have only lost to utep once since 2013. The rivalry is dying as people don’t show up like they use to. These games don’t sell out as there are so many options to watch on TV. Hopefully Jans and Terry can get this rivalry back to where it use to be.

We WISH we had 13 players to rotate. We're not at all in the same situationf

Reactions: axingfools1
Good luck, agriculturalists. And thanks for coming to visit. See ya back behind the barn for a brawl! ;)
BTW, anybody got a link?
Can't believe you've reappeared once again Round .Great to see you again. Not aware of a link audio only.

Thanks 1liner!! Great to see you too, buddy! Let's go wallop some compost chemists!
I think this season is gonna be better than expected. You?
I have medium to semi- good expectations. Tonight I think will tell us something especially if Hawkins plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT