ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada @ UTEP Game Day Thread

Kai Lovksley should never see the field again at UTEP. Play the juco or Goodwin. This is not a hard offense to learn. It would be almost impossible to get less production at qb than we are now. I never thought I would see a UTEP qb worse than nick lamaison. I was wrong Locksley is ten times worse.

Canales's play calling is a joke. A screen pass to a converted lb playing fullback. Dimel's time management is inexcusably bad. If this is another season that goes off the rails, Senter should be fired. You dont get a mulligan when you hire Dana Dimel. Two years to find a qb and this is the shit we get. Inexcusable. Dimel is now 10-40 in his last in last four plus seasons as a head coach. Thanks, Senter.

Last edited:
Kai Lovksley should never see the field again at UTEP. Play the juco or Goodwin. This is not a hard offense to learn. It would be almost impossible to get less production ATV than we are now. I never thought I would see a UTEP qb worse than nick lamaison. I was wrong Locksley is ten times worse.

Canales's play calling is a joke. A screen pass to a converted lb playing fullback. Dimel's time management is inexcusably bad. If this is another season that goes off the rails, Senter should be fired. You dont geymtva mulligan when you hire Dana Dimel. Two years to find a qb and this is the shit we get. Inexcusable. Dimel is now 10-40 in his last in last four plus seasons as a head coach. Thanks, Senter.
Sounds more like Dimel should be fired, yet you place the blame with the guy who isn’t calling the plays or recruiting players. Yeah, he hired Dimel. He also hired 5 more coaches including CRT for Men’s BBall. So, if we’re going to be trigger happy, have fun with that.

This stings, because UTEP literally had a shot. It's going to be another long season if they can't pass. With that being said, the announcers are horrible. I can live with Vittatoe but the other guy is bad. Ok enough ranting...
You can let the other guy know here (Andy is the one with Vittatoe)

Penalties and Turnovers make it hard to win any game, before the Miners find a quarterback who can throw they need a line that can block. When the defense rushes 3 and still pressures the Quarterback it doesn't matter how good a arm a players has or how good your receivers are, the passing game is going to look like ours. Please dump the screen pass it cost us 3 -4 yards every time we run it.

Sounds more like Dimel should be fired, yet you place the blame with the guy who isn’t calling the plays or recruiting players. Yeah, he hired Dimel. He also hired 5 more coaches including CRT for Men’s BBall. So, if we’re going to be trigger happy, have fun with that.

The football coach is the most important hire you make. To hire Dana Dimel is indefensible. He better win because if he doesnt you dont get a mulligan for terrible judgement. No other AD was going to hire Dimel.

Last edited:
The football coach is the most important hire you make. To hire Dana Dimel is indefensible. He better win because if he doesnt you dont get a mulligan for terrible judgement. No other AD was going to hire Dimel.
I agree. When your coming off of a winless season and have to make a coaching hire, a HC that that went winless should be never be on your list of coaching candidates. And yes it was like 17 years ago, but 17 years have gone by and no school saw this guy as HC material again. That says a lot.
Watching Dimel's teams are like watching Kuglers. We have no passing game, our only offense is running, and we commit stupid penalties that kill drives or keep the opponents drives going.

If they keep going to the dual-headed fiasco that is Brandon Jones and Kai Locksley it really makes me wonder how AWFUL everyone is behind them. I know I make the case that they’re having to develop younger QBs but Kai has thrown 1 TD/9 INTs in the last 5 games. At what point has he played himself out of being the backup QB? And at what point has Brandon Jones played himself out of being the starter? I know they are Seniors and they have both taken a lot of lumps in service to this program but how can you keep playing these guys if they’re so mistake prone?

We all saw the offense come to an absolute grinding halt once Kai came in and they figured out how to stop the run plays. I can’t imagine the coaches expected both QBs to be THIS bad especially in their second year.

Last edited:
Dimel said on post game interview, he should have been more conservative. I guess he’s been getting advice from Kulger.
Damn it’s hard to be a miner fan. What the hell I’ll be back at the sun bowl in two weeks.

Dimel said on post game interview, he should have been more conservative. I guess he’s been getting advice from Kulger.
Damn it’s hard to be a miner fan. What the hell I’ll be back at the sun bowl in two weeks.

The unfortunate thing is we know that UTEP blew this game. The pie chart would say 60%: UTEP blew the game / 40%: Nevada outplayed UTEP.

Reactions: miner1liner
WOW! More conservative when you run the ball 45 times and you pass only 17 times?
Two years and two recruiting cycles and UTEP continues to demonstrate utter incompetence when throwing the ball.
This is on Jim Senter for hiring a coach who shares Kugler's offensive philosophy. Run first, punt second, throw third.
Against mediocre FBS competition UTEP is averaging only 12 points per game. TERRIBLE!! Under Dimel UTEPs offense will never score enough to win or even remain competitive. Never! UTEP needs an offense that PUTS POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD!!
If Dimel had any guts he would fire Canales and hire this guy as UTEPS offensive coordinator:

https://hbuhuskies.com/staff.aspx?staff=190.

Last edited:
Back in 2012 Bone Stull should have hired Willi Fritz from Sam Houston St. Instead he went with Kugler. We know his record here. Fritz took Georgia Southern to a conference title and 17 wins in two years. Now at Tulane he has resurrected them and has them looking like contenders for a conference title.

We’re still trying to figure out if anyone on our roster can throw the ball.

What about Sonny Dykes? Did we even offer him a job? Or did we just assume he wouldn’t want the job. Anyway in three games this year he has done more at SMU than Dimel will ever accomplish as a head coach.

Tired of hiring the wrong person(s) for the job.

Canales is looking like a really bad hire. I remember he put on twitter his first stop was to Wichita and that was for Kai. 1 year in a new system, I can give a slight pass on the mechanics and playbook from a JuCo transfer to D1 (whatever it's called now).

Year two, no changes. Something will probably change, sooner rather than later.

Canales is looking like a really bad hire. I remember he put on twitter his first stop was to Wichita and that was for Kai. 1 year in a new system, I can give a slight pass on the mechanics and playbook from a JuCo transfer to D1 (whatever it's called now).

Year two, no changes. Something will probably change, sooner rather than later.

Canales’ play calling is baffling. That he can’t identify a competent qb after all his years as an OC is inexcusable.

I met him once about 7-8 years ago at UNT and I knew immediately that I didn’t want my son playing under his tutelage...and was desperately hoping my son felt the same way.

WOW! More conservative when you run the ball 45 times and you pass only 17 times?
Two years and two recruiting cycles and UTEP continues to demonstrate utter incompetence when throwing the ball.
This is on Jim Senter for hiring a coach who shares Kugler's offensive philosophy. Run first, punt second, throw third.
Against mediocre FBS competition UTEP is averaging only 12 points per game. TERRIBLE!! Under Dimel UTEPs offense will never score enough to win or even remain competitive. Never! UTEP needs an offense that PUTS POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD!!
If Dimel had any guts he would fire Canales and hire this guy as UTEPS offensive coordinator:

This is the problem when you hire Dana Dimel. If he fires his coordinators no young coordinators at lower levels will be interested in joining a Dimel staff. He hasn't proven he can win. No one with any proven ability will sign to coach on the football equivalent of the Titanic. That's how you end up with washouts like Canales on your staff to begin with.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s kind of nice to see Senter’s thinking regarding the game last night.

Back in 2012 Bone Stull should have hired Willi Fritz from Sam Houston St. Instead he went with Kugler. We know his record here. Fritz took Georgia Southern to a conference title and 17 wins in two years. Now at Tulane he has resurrected them and has them looking like contenders for a conference title.

What about Sonny Dykes? Did we even offer him a job? Or did we just assume he wouldn’t want the job. Anyway in three games this year he has done more at SMU than Dimel will ever accomplish as a head coach.

When Dimel was first introduced as UTEP's new coach, someone in the EP media asked him about the hiring process and Dimel said he campaigned for the job. He campaigned with Adauto, before Senter was even hired. I wonder if Adauto convinced Senter to hire Dimel or even told him he was all we could afford. Maybe in another 2 or 3 seasons, Dimel will turn things around but it sure doesn't look like this team has improved from last season.

Reactions: miner1liner

Don't know if Dimel is flexible enough to allow a new coordinator to change things up. If Dimel is too stubborn to adjust then that will be his doom. I just hope Senter is a lot quicker to pull the trigger than Stull was if necessary. UTEP fans can't survive much more of a boring offense and so many losses.

So does NMSU.
F NMSU. But USM u

Bo Pellini was the hottest assistant on the market when Nord was fired but still mid majors and majors were hesitant to hire him, at that time. Tulsa hired a lesser known assistant in Kragthorpe back then when they were in CUSA and won CUSA and was a conference contender. So you really never know what will happen.

Now with Dimel, he rode into town and knocked the socks off Senter and Natalicio with a high energy presentation, as per Senter comments two years ago. This energy is not being translated on the field. QB situation is getting worse, not better. UTEP now has two back to back coaches who for some reason are thinking keeping the ball for more than five minutes wins games, but yet it doesn't.

The offense will work. We just need a QB. The staff needs to go all out to find a QB.

Wilson likes Senter.

It’s unfortunate when you watch this offense shriveling away as the game goes on. You could tell as the game wore on the coaches lost confidence that either QB could complete a meaningful pass downfield. That right there cuts the playbook in half.

There is no way the coaches want to cut the playbook down to accommodate a QB.

That wont save him if this goes off the rails. There are alot of nice people who are terrible at their jobs.

Yeah but she’ll give Senter another opportunity to get it right. His hiring of Dimel is obviously questionable given Dana’s most recent history as a head coach. And his current lack of success. Gotta wonder what he was thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dimel is gone sooner rather than later because Senter’s azz is on the line, too. Maybe Wilson will give Senter a little more $ to play around with next go around. That’d probably help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT