ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada @ UTEP Game Day Thread

The hard part is if Dimel is fired, who replaces him? How many up and coming coaches are going to want a job at a program that has a dismal record like UTEP. I know it’s hard, but I think Dimel is given the opportunity to finish out next year.

Reactions: minerfan_14
The hard part is if Dimel is fired, who replaces him? How many up and coming coaches are going to want a job at a program that has a dismal record like UTEP. I know it’s hard, but I think Dimel is given the opportunity to finish out next year.
It was brought up in another thread that there are still 45-47 players from the old regime. It does take time to get the players who can play at this level (FBS) and start buying into the system (learning plays, etc). If the consensus is to fire him after two years, the same cycle will start all over. Realistically we need to have 3-4 years for an actual look at results or lack thereof from the coaching staff. We’re asking to replace coaches at the same rate of Man United and Chelsea fans w/o the pedigree to back it up.

Yeah but she’ll give Senter another opportunity to get it right. His hiring of Dimel is obviously questionable given Dana’s most recent history as a head coach. And his current lack of success. Gotta wonder what he was thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dimel is gone sooner rather than later because Senter’s azz is on the line, too. Maybe Wilson will give Senter a little more $ to play around with next go around. That’d probably help.

I think they liked that Dimel wanted the job, that he had HC experience, that he’s not a slime ball, and that because he learned from The Purple Wizard how to do more with less that maybe he could do it here.

15 games in and you want to get rid of him. But many defended Floyd after 7 years because he took over a roster with 9 seniors.

Dimel took over a roster that would be the bottom of FCS and not as good as some D2 schools. His first recruiting class are redshirt freshman right now. His second class are redshirts and not playing.

UTEP is an impossible situation to turn around in a year.

Reactions: jdubb66
I am not saying he should be fired. UTEP should have won that game yesterday and in a lot of ways they are taking steps forward. Unfortunately they are not getting wins.

Reactions: axingfools1
15 games in and you want to get rid of him. But many defended Floyd after 7 years because he took over a roster with 9 seniors.

Dimel took over a roster that would be the bottom of FCS and not as good as some D2 schools. His first recruiting class are redshirt freshman right now. His second class are redshirts and not playing.

Agree favorite son Floyd was given way too long a leash.

Like I said in another thread, I’ve seen enough to believe that Dimel won’t turn this around. Maybe I’m wrong.

No way UTEP gets turned around in a year. We should see improvement, though. I don’t think we’ve seen it. I don’t think we will see it. Even with 4 years.

As far as Floyd goes, I was one of the early birds. I wanted him gone between years 3-4. For the same reason...I had seen enough to think Floyd didn’t have it anymore and wasn’t going to turn it around.

Always hoped I was wrong. But I wasn’t. Don’t think I am here either. We shall see.

I think they liked that Dimel wanted the job, that he had HC experience, that he’s not a slime ball, and that because he learned from The Purple Wizard how to do more with less that maybe he could do it here.

Fair enough. But the Wizard he ain’t. And he won’t all of a sudden show that he is. Dimel will get a 3rd year, but I don’t suspect we’ll see much difference. I bet he doesn’t get a 4th year.

The game is not about out coaching anyone. It's about having more talent.

That's why the NFL has a draft, that's why colleges recruit, that's why the Dolphins are terrible. That's why UTEP is terrible.

Reactions: develman
It was brought up in another thread that there are still 45-47 players from the old regime. It does take time to get the players who can play at this level (FBS) and start buying into the system (learning plays, etc). If the consensus is to fire him after two years, the same cycle will start all over. Realistically we need to have 3-4 years for an actual look at results or lack thereof from the coaching staff. We’re asking to replace coaches at the same rate of Man United and Chelsea fans w/o the pedigree to back it up.

Fair enough. I just don’t think we’ll see an improvement from now til then. I think we’ve seen what Dimel brings to the table. He’ll get that 3rd year. It won’t matter though, imo.

The game is not about out coaching anyone. It's about having more talent.

That's why the NFL has a draft, that's why colleges recruit, that's why the Dolphins are terrible. That's why UTEP is terrible.

Disagree whole heartedly. The having talent statement I agree with...the more you have the higher your potential. But coaching matters at this level. I’ve seen it too often to overlook the importance of a good coach.

I’m not saying fire him. I’m a firm believer that a coach should get 3 years. I just don’t think Dimel will turn it around enough. Partially because he won’t bring the talent in and partially because I don’t think he’s a quality head coach.

Like I said in another thread, I’ve seen enough to believe that Dimel won’t turn this around. Maybe I’m wrong.

No way UTEP gets turned around in a year. We should see improvement, though. I don’t think we’ve seen it. I don’t think we will see it. Even with 4 years.

As far as Floyd goes, I was one of the early birds. I wanted him gone between years 3-4. For the same reason...I had seen enough to think Floyd didn’t have it anymore and wasn’t going to turn it around.

Always hoped I was wrong. But I wasn’t. Don’t think I am here either. We shall see.

You were damn sure right about Floyd.

Back in 2012 Bone Stull should have hired Willi Fritz from Sam Houston St. Instead he went with Kugler. We know his record here. Fritz took Georgia Southern to a conference title and 17 wins in two years. Now at Tulane he has resurrected them and has them looking like contenders for a conference title.

Willi Fritz wanted and applied for the UTEP head coaching position but BoneHead Bob Stull opted to hire Kugler instead. Willi was hired by Tulane and he has since turned Tulane football around. I also remember Steve Kaplowitz from TEAM 600 lobbying heavily for Kugler on his radio show.

UTEP doesn't have FBS talent at QB and wide receivers because of the offense that they run! What QB who can throw would want to play in an offense where he hands it off to his RB 75% of the time? What wide receiver would want to showcase his talent and block 75% of the time? Why does FCS HOUSTON BAPTIST have better skill position players on offense than UTEP? The type of offense that you implement will largely determine the talent that you can attract.

Last edited:

I'm not backing Floyd, but he had HIS best recruiting class 4 years in and HIS best team 5 years in (this is even after the Hamilton fiasco and after losing M. Moore to the gambling incident). Despite this he couldn't win. He should have been fired after VH left, but Stull wanted him around for the 50th year 1966 celebration game. When Lee Moore decided not to come back after his 6th season, Stull had zero reason not to fire Floyd.

We cant afford the same mistakes in football and basketball anymore. We have enough talent on offense (outside of QB) to win now. If Dimel can't find a QB by next year then he shouldn't be given a 4th year.

UTEP doesn't have FBS talent at QB and wide receivers because of the offense that they run! What QB who can throw would want to play in an offense where he hands it off to his RB 75% of the time? What wide receiver would want to showcase his talent and block 75% of the time? Why does FCS HOUSTON BAPTIST have better skill position players on offense than UTEP? The type of offense that you implement will largely determine the talent that you acquire.

Our skill players arent the issue. They're good. The issue is qb.

I wouldn't know. That sentence means nothing to me.
They’re demanding fans trying to go back to their glory days

Were demanding fans wanting to get a quick and easy fix without the glory days to back it

honestly doesn’t surprise me that it wouldn’t make sense unless you follow the EPL

Fair enough. I just don’t think we’ll see an improvement from now til then. I think we’ve seen what Dimel brings to the table. He’ll get that 3rd year. It won’t matter though, imo.
Depends on the next recruiting cycle and if our red shirts stay and produce as expected

How much longer does Dimel have? Fans have given up. Only freebies and heavily discounted tickets turn up a good crowd. Imagine how bad the UTSA attendance will be after the upcoming USM loss

Attendance has been bad under Senter. Even with that big game two weeks ago. We’re averaging under 15k. Unless we pull off some upsets I don’t see a crowd nearing 20k the rest of the way.

What’s sad is we’ve lost half of the 20k die hards who show up no matter what especially during Price’s last years as coach.

Attendance has been bad under Senter. Even with that big game two weeks ago. We’re averaging under 15k. Unless we pull off some upsets I don’t see a crowd nearing 20k the rest of the way.
The huge drop in attendance may be the one thing that may prompt Senter to make a change, sooner than expected. He has had no problem firing many of the old Stull hires; and for good reason. It wasn't just football that was in dire straits under Stull, but nearly all the programs were underperforming. Unfortunately, Senter's most important hire has underperformed and attendance has dwindled in just two games. The structure of Dimel's contract will be a challenge to overcome, but Senter may have no choice if there is no improvement. This year's schedule is setup for some "improvement". If that does not happen, Senter may be forced to make some change. More than likely, the Coordinators will be the first to go. Senter preached about accountability when he was hired. We will see if that is true.

The huge drop in attendance may be the one thing that may prompt Senter to make a change, sooner than expected. He has had no problem firing many of the old Stull hires; and for good reason. It wasn't just football that was in dire straits under Stull, but nearly all the programs were underperforming. Unfortunately, Senter's most important hire has underperformed and attendance has dwindled in just two games. The structure of Dimel's contract will be a challenge to overcome, but Senter may have no choice if there is no improvement. This year's schedule is setup for some "improvement". If that does not happen, Senter may be forced to make some change. More than likely, the Coordinators will be the first to go. Senter preached about accountability when he was hired. We will see if that is true.

I think you’re right. I imagine Cox and Canales will be let go at the end of the year, provided there is no miracle turnaround. I think Dimel will get a 3rd year and then be let go. Senter will have one more chance to get it right before he is shown the door. if I had to take a stab at it, that’s how I’d bet it goes down.

Southern Miss is a 25.5 point favorite. UTSA has a bye week. The UTSA game is a must win if there ever was one.

After your 3rd season, you should be able to see a programs direction. We will know next year which way the program is trending.

I attend a week of Spring Ball every year. Been doing it for a long time. I can confirm that we are better than we were the last 2 years. Unfortunately, that's not saying much because Kuglers last team was really really awful.

In a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being a CUSA bowl team. Kuglers last year would be like a 30. And Dimel has made us a 10.

After your 3rd season, you should be able to see a programs direction. We will know next year which way the program is trending.

I attend a week of Spring Ball every year. Been doing it for a long time. I can confirm that we are better than we were the last 2 years. Unfortunately, that's not saying much because Kuglers last team was really really awful.

In a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being a CUSA bowl team. Kuglers last year would be like a 30. And Dimel has made us a 10.

I remember that about you. If I remember correctly, you also coach HS fb. I know you know your stuff. I don’t question that. I do wonder how we have arrived at such vastly different evaluations of this team. While perhaps a tad bit better than kugler’s final product, I just don’t see it being more than a negligible difference.

It’s the same old things. We can’t tackle. We can’t block. We shoot ourselves in the foot with costly penalties. We can’t protect our QB. We turn the ball over far too much. We can’t cover anyone downfield. We are undisciplined. We can’t get to the QB. We can’t catch the ball consistently. Our QB play ranks among the worst I’ve ever witnessed at this level.

We can run the ball. Same as Kugler ball. What am I missing?

You mentioned the structure of Dimel’s contract posing a challenge should UTEP decide to let him go. How many years are on his contract?

Semtex has done a decent job with the other sports, but Dimiel hasn’t impressed. His offense stinks and Canales and him are the only ones that don’t realize it.

You mentioned the structure of Dimel’s contract posing a challenge should UTEP decide to let him go. How many years are on his contract?
Dimmel has a 5 year contract. So we'd have to pay him for 3 more years. That's a long time.

I remember that about you. If I remember correctly, you also coach HS fb. I know you know your stuff. I don’t question that. I do wonder how we have arrived at such vastly different evaluations of this team. While perhaps a tad bit better than kugler’s final product, I just don’t see it being more than a negligible difference.

It’s the same old things. We can’t tackle. We can’t block. We shoot ourselves in the foot with costly penalties. We can’t protect our QB. We turn the ball over far too much. We can’t cover anyone downfield. We are undisciplined. We can’t get to the QB. We can’t catch the ball consistently. Our QB play ranks among the worst I’ve ever witnessed at this level.

We can run the ball. Same as Kugler ball. What am I missing?
I think a lot. Dimmel is bad don't get me wrong. Kugler was just so much worse. The only reason the team wasn't even worse was because Jones broke hundreds of tackles.

Kugler was so bad. I would accurately predict the play calls 80% of the time. At least with Dimmel there is an attempt at misdirection.

Just because 2 offenses are run-heavy doesn't mean they are the same. Kugler ran an 80s style Power I Offense. Dimmel runs the RPO Offense based on the Pistol formation. No one runs Kuglers offense anymore. Like 1/3 college teams run Dimmel's. The teams that don't at least use elements of it.

Again, I'm not so pro Dimmel just really anti Kugler.

I think a lot. Dimmel is bad don't get me wrong. Kugler was just so much worse. The only reason the team wasn't even worse was because Jones broke hundreds of tackles.

Kugler was so bad. I would accurately predict the play calls 80% of the time. At least with Dimmel there is an attempt at misdirection.

Just because 2 offenses are run-heavy doesn't mean they are the same. Kugler ran an 80s style Power I Offense. Dimmel runs the RPO Offense based on the Pistol formation. No one runs Kuglers offense anymore. Like 1/3 college teams run Dimmel's. The teams that don't at least use elements of it.

Again, I'm not so pro Dimmel just really anti Kugler.

Kugler's offense especially the blocking schemes were way more complex than Dimel's offense. Dimel's offense is pretty simple.

Very fair points only disagreement I have is with Jones. He got to run to behind the best player to suit up for the Miners in at least the last quarter century. He ran untouched into the second level on most of his big runs.

Last edited:
Ah bull. This Kugler O line stuff was unicorns and pixie dust. He brought Will, Deharo and Gatewood, that's it. Now Kugler did bring AJ, Watkins and Hughes who were all state performers and can get to the next level on their own skill and strength.

Dimel is using Kugler lineman and the results are not great. While Jones and KL are under performing, they are not given any time to drop, check, throw. The pocket collapses way too quickly to set.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
For the record, I am not a fan of Dimel's and I disagree with a lot of his decisions but is it fair to judge what he has done here after 1 year and 2 games? I don't think it is. Dimel is still playing with much of Kugler's players and I am hoping that that is the reason for the current struggles. I still hope Dimel can prove us all wrong and turn it around. I think Dimel will be given at least 3 years before any real action is taken (meaning the end of next year). Can UTEP afford to fire him after year 2 even if they wanted him to?

For the record, I am not a fan of Dimel's and I disagree with a lot of his decisions but is it fair to judge what he has done here after 1 year and 2 games? I don't think it is. Dimel is still playing with much of Kugler's players and I am hoping that that is the reason for the current struggles. I still hope Dimel can prove us all wrong and turn it around. I think Dimel will be given at least 3 years before any real action is taken (meaning the end of next year). Can UTEP afford to fire him after year 2 even if they wanted him to?

Stull did it.
Nord did it (now most players were his recruits but Bailey gave excuse after excuse but Nord got it done).
Price did it (with Nord recruits)
Kugler did it (with a mix of both as much as he didn't like to admit)

No excuses. Keep supporting the team. But no excuses.

Stull did it.
Nord did it (now most players were his recruits but Bailey gave excuse after excuse but Nord got it done).

I get your point but all of those coaches recruited better overall talent than Kugler IMO.

Stull did it.

Problem is Kugler recruited the worse in recent UTEP history and that's hard to do. I expected maybe 3 with this year and Nevada definitely wasn't one of em.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT