ADVERTISEMENT

New Arena=Future UTEP BB Home?

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Whenever this new arena is finished and it will get built, do you think there is a chance that UTEP would bolt and play home games at this new arena. Kappy brought this up on sports talk last week for conversation.

No. UTEP can't even fill the Haskins Center. Why would they move into a 15,000 seat arena? I could see it being used for marquee games that are sold out quick such as when UTEP hosted Arizona, but it won't be UTEP's permanent home.

Utep does fill up the Haskins center. Last year the women's team was drawing good crowds.

Utep does fill up the Haskins center. Last year the women's team was drawing good crowds.

Yes, in the past the UTEP women have sold out a few games, but that obviously doesn't happen on a regular basis. Like I said, it could be used for marquee games that sell out quick, but it won't be UTEP's permanent home.

Would it not help the program if they played in a modern facility? But if that was the case I would imagine the city would ask UTEP to foot some of the bill.

Would it not help the program if they played in a modern facility? But if that was the case I would imagine the city would ask UTEP to foot some of the bill.

I really don't think it would help because UTEP currently doesn't draw big crowds. If UTEP was ranked occasionally and went to the Big Dance on a consistent basis and sold out the bulk of their games, then I would say yes. But, having 5,000 fans in a 15,000 seat venue doesn't bode well.

Of course the city would want UTEP to foot the bill and it wouldn't make sense for UTEP to do that since they have their own facility.

Having a new modern basketball arena would definitely help in recruiting and even conference affiliation. We would automatically have the best court in the conference.

In three years the MW's tv contract will hit the market.

If we can have decent teams on the field and on the court. A new basketball arena and BS's big Sun Bowl renovations we could be an attractive candidate this time around.

the Sun Bowl tournament could certainly move there and marquee games could be held there as well. Talk in the past has centered around having a base tennant like a D-league team there. I think that's what Mountain Star sports is shooting for. Perhaps move the new indoor soccer team and the Rhinos there.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
To go along with jdubb66 comment maybe we can enhance the sun bowl tournament. Instead of four shitty teams let's try and make it into another "battle for Atlantis" or "diamond head classic" type of tournament. Invite some power teams and some solid mid major teams. That would be a good yearly event to hold at the new arena.

This has actually been of debate for a few years now when it was initially proposed. My understanding is that El Paso will try to attract a D League team and try to attract the NCAA for some first round games (long shot, but I say "go for it!"). Also, UTEP and El Paso want to bring the conference tournament here (something they have had success doing and most aggressive in pursuing) but CUSA teams appear to favor (I didn't say "like" because UAB is a constant conference contender that coaches have brought up and why give your opponent a more a favorable opportunity?) the UAB location for obvious cost and location reasons and their venue really needs the revenue. The head scratcher is they have trouble selling tickets, but what does CUSA care? Their money is guaranteed from the city and university.

Second is entertainment, concerts and conventions. I personally just attended a large religious catholic convention here in El Paso at the convention center and it attracted people from hundreds of miles away; and this annual convention is medium sized in comparison to much, much larger annual international catholic conventions that actually need an arena to hold just some of their events (they prefer on site or within walking distance next to a convention center) and they stay a full five days. Sweet jeezus, can you imagine the revenue?! (sorry, I couldn't help it.:p)

I am starting to think the New Arena will never happen and if it does it will be a shell of its original version.

I would think that it has to happen by law since it was voted on with other bond projects as a package. Just a casual perusal of Multipurpose arenas gives a diverse seating to cost ratio ranging from 15,000 seats for a $450 mil arena in Ft. Worth to a 18,500 seat arena in Virginia Beach priced at 200,000 million. Milwaukee Bucks are getting a 20,000 seat arena for a cool half bill. The Chesapeake arena in Oklahoma City cost about 89 mil when it was built in 2002 and seats around 18,000. In todays dollars I don't think it would quite reach 180 mil. So we're not that far off the mark at 180,000,000 but I think we will need some private funds to add more amenities.

Lily Limon is saying that the Cohen Stadium site is the best site for the new arena. With this type of thinking, I can see a back and forth battle until one day we get a small County Colosseum like structure in the parking lot of Cohen.

What's crazy is that the Don Haskins Center was built in a way in which the top could be removed to add another level and upgrade the arena. They had forward thinking in the 70's that one day El Paso would want something even more grand.

I agree that this stadium may never get done. No matter where you build it, someone will complain.

If that arena is built downtown, I think its a foregone conclusion UTEP will move mens games there. The problem with the arena is there is no major tenant.The city needs a major tenant for the arena to make money. The city loses 90k a year on the ballpark even with a major tennant. NBDL teams dont draw flies. Most teams are under 3k a game. Thats not fit for El Paso or the new arena. The city actually needs UTEP more than UTEP needs the city. UTEP hoops is the only tenant that makes sense. The city will give UTEP a a deal to good to pass up.

Reactions: kickballpro
What's crazy is that the Don Haskins Center was built in a way in which the top could be removed to add another level and upgrade the arena. They had forward thinking in the 70's that one day El Paso would want something even more grand.
I've heard Teich say that on the radio, and a related anecdote about Haskins asking that question, but I've never seen any independent confirmation of that. Somebody here probably knows: is this truth or is this one of those rumors that just gets perpetuated?

If it is the truth, why haven't we seen figures on how much this expansion would cost? Maybe it's simply because the city wants total ownership and control of the arena, so expanding the Don is a non-starter.

If that arena is built downtown, I think its a foregone conclusion UTEP will move mens games there.

That's not going to happen. The arena is not going to be built for that reason. The arena is being built built for a possible NBA Development League team, Arena League team, concerts, trade shows, etc.

If that arena is built downtown, I think its a foregone conclusion UTEP will move mens games there. The problem with the arena is there is no major tenant.The city needs a major tenant for the arena to make money. The city loses 90k a year on the ballpark even with a major tennant. NBDL teams dont draw flies. Most teams are under 3k a game. Thats not fit for El Paso or the new arena. The city actually needs UTEP more than UTEP needs the city. UTEP hoops is the only tenant that makes sense. The city will give UTEP a a deal to good to pass up.
If the arena needs UTEP, and the whole rumor about the Don being designed to take the roof off and expand is true, wouldn't the taxpayers get more bang for their buck to just expand and renovate the Don? I think this is more about concerts and perhaps other sporting events. I agree that NBA D-League is small potatoes and doesn't justify a new arena. The Arena Football League is down to five (FIVE!) teams now; they surely must be looking to expand, right? I don't know what's going on there, but I could see El Paso supporting an Arena Football League team and that's the kind of tenant that could support the arena. But since the AFL is down to 5 teams, I don't know how stable that is; I don't understand what's going on there.

Since UTEP owns the Don and recently hasn't been hurting for seats, it makes no sense for UTEP to play their games in another arena. A deal too good to pass up would literally have to be the city outright paying UTEP to play games in the arena, because it makes no sense for UTEP to give up any revenue at all to the city's arena when UTEP already owns the Don and can keep all revenue for themselves. Unless those suites/boxes bring in enough revenue to offset the difference.

If I were UTEP, why try and raise the money to renovate the Don if you can just let the city pay for a new arena and swoop in there? In a perfect world you raze the Don, and build a indoor football facility... and yes I know that is wishful thinking.

Reactions: Minerinciter
UTEP is having a down year and ticket sales are still averaging above 6,000. A comment on here says "having 5000 fans in a 15000 seat venue doesn't bode well." Normally UTEP averages over 8-9k during an average w/l season but that's besides the point.

NBA D-league average is 2,725 per game. With the highest team averaging 5,737 (lower than current UTEP average) and the lowest 389.

So my question is does 2,500-3,000 bode better in a 15,000 seat arena?

If I were UTEP, why try and raise the money to renovate the Don if you can just let the city pay for a new arena and swoop in there? In a perfect world you raze the Don, and build a indoor football facility... and yes I know that is wishful thinking.
But from the city's perspective, is it cheaper to build a new arena or to outright buy the Don and expand it to 15,000? I'd like to see the numbers for that comparison.

But part of the push for the arena is that it would be built downtown by the hotels and convention center and stuff; it's supposed to help bring business to those businesses. The expanded Don wouldn't quite fulfill that.

I'd still like to see the numbers, though. If the Don can be bought and expanded (assuming UTEP would insist on event priority as part of the deal, and maybe play there rent-free with the city getting a percentage of revenue or something) at half the cost of building a new arena, wouldn't that be worth at least considering? But that's all pure speculation anyway.

UTEP is having a down year and ticket sales are still averaging above 6,000. A comment on here says "having 5000 fans in a 15000 seat venue doesn't bode well." Normally UTEP averages over 8-9k during an average w/l season but that's besides the point.

NBA D-league average is 2,725 per game. With the highest team averaging 5,737 (lower than current UTEP average) and the lowest 389.

So my question is does 2,500-3,000 bode better in a 15,000 seat arena?

I was referencing that number in terms of recruiting. I meant that doesn't bode well for recruits.

The Arena Football League is down to five (FIVE!) teams now; they surely must be looking to expand, right? I don't know what's going on there, but I could see El Paso supporting an Arena Football League team and that's the kind of tenant that could support the arena. But since the AFL is down to 5 teams, I don't know how stable that is; I don't understand what's going on there.

El Paso would move likely be playing in the Indoor Football League. That would make the most sense for them and that's where the Arizona Rattlers moved to.

But from the city's perspective, is it cheaper to build a new arena or to outright buy the Don and expand it to 15,000? I'd like to see the numbers for that comparison.

But part of the push for the arena is that it would be built downtown by the hotels and convention center and stuff; it's supposed to help bring business to those businesses. The expanded Don wouldn't quite fulfill that.

I'd still like to see the numbers, though. If the Don can be bought and expanded (assuming UTEP would insist on event priority as part of the deal, and maybe play there rent-free with the city getting a percentage of revenue or something) at half the cost of building a new arena, wouldn't that be worth at least considering? But that's all pure speculation anyway.

No, no, and again no. El Paso is doing this to further revitalize downtown.

Good thing bob is off work so he can correct us and answer all our questions.

Raising the roof and capacity of the Don will not fix or fulfill what the arena is intended to do. What is needed is a floor with flexibility to host a whole variety of events. Media space and media rooms, meeting and dressing rooms, etc. You can't accomplish that with the Don.

Reactions: develman
Raising the roof and capacity of the Don will not fix or fulfill what the arena is intended to do. What is needed is a floor with flexibility to host a whole variety of events. Media space and media rooms, meeting and dressing rooms, etc. You can't accomplish that with the Don.

The Don doesn't have dressing rooms? I do know they have a huge media space.

The Don doesn't have dressing rooms? I do know they have a huge media space.
Not enough for some of the acts that come and also could be booked here. Acts that bring an entourage of dancers or a large band often have to use their own buses as dressing area's. The green room at the Don is a joke compared to other arenas I've been to. Many arenas have green rooms for event staff, a separate one for media, and another for the acts. Meeting rooms are sorely lacking, which effects tournament type events.

Apparently the city council doesn't want an anchor tenant. So there you go, don't expect Indoor Football or the D-League. According to KFOX interviews with city counselors, they think that by having anchor tenants it will limit available dates and therefore losing out on potential acts.

The philosophy behind the arena is a 'build it and they will come' approach.

Apparently the city council doesn't want an anchor tenant. So there you go, don't expect Indoor Football or the D-League. According to KFOX interviews with city counselors, they think that by having anchor tenants it will limit available dates and therefore losing out on potential acts.

The philosophy behind the arena is a 'build it and they will come' approach.

That's a very silly idea to not have an anchor tenant.

"My understanding is that El Paso will try to attract a D League team and try to attract the NCAA for some first round games (long shot, but I say "go for it!")"
The question is for which tournament, men or women because the setup of the Haskins Center will dictate what UTEP can bid on. It would be more difficult to get the men because the NCAA wants to bring in their own court. Simply put, try to bid on bringing the women's tournament.
"What is needed is a floor with flexibility to host a whole variety of events. Media space and media rooms, meeting and dressing rooms, etc."
The DHC has four dressing/locker rooms, 11,000 permanent seats, and one permanent (not portable) floor.
"What's crazy is that the Don Haskins Center was built in a way in which the top could be removed to add another level and upgrade the arena. They had forward thinking in the 70's that one day El Paso would want something even more grand."
UTEP should have considered looking at the Pan American Center when they designed the DHC. It has at least one loading dock which would make it more attractive for concert promoters.

El Paso would move likely be playing in the Indoor Football League. That would make the most sense for them and that's where the Arizona Rattlers moved to.
The AFL is still, in theory, the top tier of indoor football and that's what El Paso should be striving for. The AFL still has a fair amount of nationally televised games and it would be good exposure for El Paso and a showcase for the brand new arena. El Paso might be in the conversation to host more events (such as NCAA Tourney games) if they support a successful top tier indoor football team.

The AFL is still, in theory, the top tier of indoor football and that's what El Paso should be striving for. The AFL still has a fair amount of nationally televised games and it would be good exposure for El Paso and a showcase for the brand new arena. El Paso might be in the conversation to host more events (such as NCAA Tourney games) if they support a successful top tier indoor football team.

I think the Indoor League is where it's at now. It's not that exciting to be in a league with just 5 teams. There is a reason the Arizona Rattlers switched leagues and they were always one of the top teams in the league.

Don't forget that aside from the lack of floor space it's a little hard to fit an elaborate stage set in there as well. There's a reason why El Paso/Las Cruces get those WWE House shows and not a Monday Night Raw. You can't fit sets like that in The Don.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT