ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 36 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
With this now I think N. Illinois for Football and St. Mary’s for Basketball is at least a decent possibility. That would be a decent little basketball and football conference. Now only of Utep could step it up and fine competitive!
I’d be surprised if NIU came alone and I haven’t seen anyone mention St Mary’s is interested in leaving the WCC. I think it would be great if the MWC reached out to them though. Do they want to dominate the WCC now or is the league now a lot weaker because Gonzaga is leaving?

Reactions: nattybry
And we already added one school that lowered our brand value…no offense to you all.

Hey. Ancient history. You’re in now and one of us. My point is you should also be concerned about adding garbage.
All time bowl appearances:
Toledo - 21
NIU - 15 including an Orange Bowl BCS game
UNLV - 5

Even UTEP has 6 appearances since 2000!

Garbage indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
Oh? Lay it out for me then.

Teams with 5 bowl games in their history, shouldn’t be calling Toledo and NIU garbage.
It would take too long to explain why the changes in the landscape are happening and how none of that matters. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the model. Check out the Dunning-Kruger effect

It would take too long to explain why the changes in the landscape are happening and how none of that matters. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the model. Check out the Dunning-Kruger effect
I see. Why would the MWC want those teams then? They probably got input from their tv partners and their representatives for those negotiations right? Gloria didn’t pull these names out of thin air.

With Hawaii in the conference it’s the same shit. Just about same distance from Hawaii to Las Vegas than Las Vegas to Toledo.
Yup. Once you get on a plane, it is the same shit pretty much. Football only isn’t a big deal, for all sports it is a big deal.

It’s how does the conference maintain its revenue stream from media rights when our largest brands were just replaced with schools that won’t command the same attention? Adding UTEP and Hawaii for all their other subsidized sports doesn’t make espn and fox and cbs go “hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.

None of it matters with the Rudy Project…..so maybe it’s time to just think small and regional….NIU and Toledo with even less money from the fallout in this stage would be stupid travel partners starting with the fact that their recruitment won’t exist and they will draw zero fan interest. West is Best

Pointing to a crappy school’s bowl victories in irrelevant past years from a system that doesn’t exist now should allow UNLV to flex its national title banner and demand entry into the B1G. That’s just absolutely stupid logic.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
It’s how does the conference maintain its revenue stream from media rights when our largest brands were just replaced with schools that won’t command the same attention? Adding UTEP and Hawaii for all their other subsidized sports doesn’t make espn and fox and cbs go “hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.

None of it matters with the Rudy Project…..so maybe it’s time to just think small and regional….NIU and Toledo with even less money from the fallout in this stage would be stupid travel partners starting with the fact that their recruitment won’t exist and they will draw zero fan interest. West is Best

Pointing to a crappy school’s bowl victories in irrelevant past years from a system that doesn’t exist now should allow UNLV to flex its national title banner and demand entry into the B1G. That’s just absolutely stupid logic.
So who should the MWC add them? I don't think we have a lot of choices at this point?

Dang all over the place here.

To your point, “
hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.”

There is no Boise level team for the MWC to replace them with, so you have to “lower your standards” to replace them. That’s how realignment works. The Big 12 replaced Oklahoma and Texas with UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and BYU.

The AAC replaced those 3 with CUSA schools, CUSA replaced with them independents and FCS.

Reactions: nattybry

Ultimately Endeavor (and possible media partners) is in the MWC's (Gloria's) ear over all of this. I think the MWC should add SHSU and/or TSU to get into the central time zone and expand further into Texas. But NIU and Toledo are better brands and are bigger "markets" overall. Huntsville and Stephenville are within range to Houston and DFW, respectively. If the MWC is exploring with NIU and Toledo, it's because it'll help expand the value of the new media contract. Do whatever it takes to make as much $$$ as possible.

Dang all over the place here.

To your point, “
hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.”

There is no Boise level team for the MWC to replace them with, so you have to “lower your standards” to replace them. That’s how realignment works. The Big 12 replaced Oklahoma and Texas with UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and BYU.

The AAC replaced those 3 with CUSA schools, CUSA replaced with them independents and FCS.
This is crap

So far the MWC has lost Boise, Utah St, San Diego St, Colorado St, and Fresno. Then replaced them with UTEP and the other half of Hawaii. You think that the replacement options will get better?

It’s not crap, you seem to live in delusion. Good luck
Im saying there is no options because we aren’t two of the 70

Who’s living in delusion?

Im saying there is no options because we aren’t two of the 70

Who’s living in delusion?
But there are still options for the MWC, just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean there aren’t options. Especially when you call two mildly successful programs “garbage”, even though they are like Notre Dame when comparing to UNLV football.

Reactions: FedupMiner
But there are still options for the MWC, just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean there aren’t options. Especially when you call two mildly successful programs “garbage”, even though they are like Notre Dame when comparing to UNLV football.
You don’t understand the value of what goes into a media deal or how these guys look at a market.

The answer is for the MWC to not add anymore in order to keep the shares as heavy as possible

AND we aren’t two of the 70

You don’t understand the value of what goes into a media deal or how these guys look at a market.

The answer is for the MWC to not add anymore in order to keep the shares as heavy as possible

AND we aren’t two of the 70
I do understand, maybe you don’t. Again, why would Gloria ask to speak with them, if they didn’t add value?

Nine has always seemed like the perfect number to me. Everyone plays everyone. I know a quick argument was the need for a football conference championship game. I just don’t see how that game would be worth dividing the TV pie by 2 or more schools.

Nine has always seemed like the perfect number to me. Everyone plays everyone. I know a quick argument was the need for a football conference championship game. I just don’t see how that game would be worth dividing the TV pie by 2 or more schools.
The problem with 9, is that one team is always off and if you add one team, that is an extra game of tv inventory you have.

The championship game argument is irrelevant now, CUSA played one with 9 last year. It’s all about tv inventory.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Was it just me or was Kane actually defending UTEP? What a time to be alive.

Rod Rebel, don't take it personal, Kane likes to argue with a lot of people on here.

I see Rod Rebel's point about splitting the pie in more pieces but I just don't think there's solidarity in 8 schools. You need more in the event of other schools departing.

Maybe he feels that way because UNLV would be the school departing and not the school that's left behind if and when this happens. I would probably feel the same if we would be leaving to maximize dollars while we're in the conference. This round of realignment is UNLV's first experience in being left behind. We have gone through this many times.

Was it just me or was Kane actually defending UTEP? What a time to be alive.

Rod Rebel, don't take it personal, Kane likes to argue with a lot of people on here.

I see Rod Rebel's point about splitting the pie in more pieces but I just don't think there's solidarity in 8 schools. You need more in the event of other schools departing.

Maybe he feels that way because UNLV would be the school departing and not the school that's left behind if and when this happens. I would probably feel the same if we would be leaving to maximize dollars while we're in the conference. This round of realignment is UNLV's first experience in being left behind. We have gone through this many times.
You see his point, but that is his point only. If the MWC’s media partners want them to add teams, then they’re going to try to add them. They won’t be added for free either. So the notion that 10 teams are going to split the 8 teams pot, is false. They will split a pot for 10 teams. If NIU and Toledo are added, they will be paid to do so.

Back to my point, this information is out there and if the MWC or their tv partners weren’t told those 2 schools would add value, they wouldn’t have been mentioned. That’s why Gloria asked to speak with them. If they weren’t “wanted”, why would she ask to speak with them? If they were going to bring down the per team average, why would you consider adding them?

An 8 team league isn’t viable for very long and it makes scheduling in all your sports more difficult. The MWC will have to add at least 1 more team.

You see his point, but that is his point only. If the MWC’s media partners want them to add teams, then they’re going to try to add them. They won’t be added for free either. So the notion that 10 teams are going to split the 8 teams pot, is false. They will split a pot for 10 teams. If NIU and Toledo are added, they will be paid to do so.

Back to my point, this information is out there and if the MWC or their tv partners weren’t told those 2 schools would add value, they wouldn’t have been mentioned. That’s why Gloria asked to speak with them. If they were “wanted”, why would she ask to speak with them? If they were going to bring down the per team average, why would you consider adding them?

An 8 team league isn’t viable for very long and it makes scheduling in all your sports more difficult. The MWC will have to add at least 1 more team.
I also agree with your points in the second 2 paragraphs. The great news is that this is a complexed issue and I don't have to solve it. Hopefully she has enough foresight to make the correct decision.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I also agree with your points in the second 2 paragraphs. The great news is that this is a complexed issue and I don't have to solve it. Hopefully she has enough foresight to make the correct decision.
NIU and Toledo also haven’t come out and shit on the idea yet and Brett McMurphy mentioned last night in his Hawaii article, which tells you both sides are still interested.

Olympic sports are easily solved. Any number of WCC, WAC, and Big West teams could be had. Need to solve the football part as soon as they can.

From the Athletic, couple nuggets that we’re interesting:

“But the Mountain West may not be done. League sources said there is a preference from some to get to at least nine football members for the sake of scheduling at least eight conference games. The league has shown interest in at least Northern Illinois and Toledo from the MAC. Like the Pac-12, the MW doesn’t plan to grow much bigger, for the sake of not dividing the pie among more schools. NIU and Toledo would likely need to find a new home outside the MAC for their other sports if they made the football move.

Schools can leave the grant of rights only if they get a Power 4 invitation, according to the binding agreement the MW schools signed, and obtained by The Athletic. It also determined that tens of millions of dollars in exit fees and poaching fees from the current and future Pac-12 will be split unevenly among the remaining MW schools: 24.5 percent each for Air Forceand UNLV; 11.5 percent each for Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State and Wyoming; and 5 percent to Hawaii.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT