ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Much New Mexico Bowl Bound!

Cuz most casual fans are dumb. If we lose to Boise people will think it's the Boise St and will be more forgiven. If we lose to 6-6 Wyoming people will have no idea how good this team coached by Bohl could have been and will write this season off as a fluke.

Of course I think we have a slightly better chance of beating Wyoming than Boise but it's not by much.
People forget the Boise game was competitive for the first half. It should have been a 7 point Boise lead at halftime. Instead we imploded and Hardison threw a terrible pick in the end zone. That game was more of UTEP collapsing with stupid turnovers than Boise dominating. The defense especially the secondary looked really bad. They couldn't cover shakur at all. That was his best game of the season. You would hope with two weeks prep they could game plan for Shakur. The offense moved the ball in the first half against Boise better than any other game all season. They were undone by Hardisons terrible turnovers. We matched well up physically against them. I certainly don't think the game would be hopeless. Bowl games are always a crapshoot.

We have 0% chance of beating Boise State so having a "slightly better" chance of beating Wyoming isn't really saying much about our chance.
That's the point I'm making. Young team vs experienced team. Goofy coach vs national champion.

They do have that one loss to NM that gives us hope we can beat them. Other than that they only lost to some good teams. Hawaii was probably also a 50/50 game they could have won.

What do you think our record would be if we had played their schedule? I think maybe 3-9.

Reactions: minerfan_14
We both started hot but both went 2-4 in the second half of the season. Wyoming started the season with MW championship aspirations since this was supposed to be "Bohl’s most experienced and deepest roster."

I'm honestly concerned that coaching will be the deciding factor in this type of game and Bohl will run circles around Dimel.
You have some strange standards when it comes to coaches. A Coach that is 6-6 with a Senior Heavy Roster, his best group, MWC champion contender, is your idea of an exceptional coach who will run circles around our Coach.

Looks like he's been very average in FBS and looks more like he's underachieving.

You have some strange standards when it comes to coaches. A Coach that is 6-6 with a Senior Heavy Roster, his best group, MWC champion contender, is your idea of an exceptional coach who will run circles around our Coach.

Looks like he's been very average in FBS and looks more like he's underachieving.
If Dimel had gone on the road and blown out the Mountain West, Mountain Division champion I would like our chances better. Or even if we had gone on the road and beat the MAC West division champion. I'll ask you the question, what would our record be with their schedule? I guarantee you we don't reach .500.

That's the point I'm making. Young team vs experienced team. Goofy coach vs national champion.

They do have that one loss to NM that gives us hope we can beat them. Other than that they only lost to some good teams. Hawaii was probably also a 50/50 game they could have won.

What do you think our record would be if we had played their schedule? I think maybe 3-9.
That's hyperbole. With that schedule our record would be 6-6 or 7-5. Basically the same. It's all about matchups. At worst we're 3-1 with their non conference. Northern I'll is toss up but certainly not a for sure loss.

We're winning every game they won in conference except maybe CSU I don't love that matchup for UTEP. Still a toss top.

However we matchup favorably with two of their losses. We beat SJSU and Hawaii if the fame is in the Sun Bowl.

We're Stull sitting 6-6 or 7-5.

We're not world beaters yet. We all know we're not where we need to be. We all know we have serious deficiencies that need to be addressed. However, we've only been dubbed by one school all year: UTSA. The Boise State game as stated in the previous post was more about our horrific turnover than Boise dominating. Whoever we play it should be a competitive game and we should expect to win. At this point it's on Dimel. He'll have two weeks to prepare I expect a win and a spring board for next year. As long as he avoids the Mike Price bowl strategy we should be fine.

Reactions: nattybry
If Dimel had gone on the road and blown out the Mountain West, Mountain Division champion I would like our chances better. Or even if we had gone on the road and beat the MAC West division champion. I'll ask you the question, what would our record be with their schedule? I guarantee you we don't reach .500.

If we had Wyoming's schedule you would have to assume we were in the Mountain West, we would have a budget of about 45-50 million, and you would presume we would have used that money on facilities and recruiting.

It's like saying, what would Wyomings record be if they had UCLA's schedule. Would they go 3-9?

Its silly

If we had Wyoming's schedule you would have to assume we were in the Mountain West, we would have a budget of about 45-50 million, and you would presume we would have used that money on facilities and recruiting.

It's like saying, what would Wyomings record be if they had UCLA's schedule. Would they go 3-9?

Its silly
I hate to admit this cuz I had a big argument with TxRdKiller about it, but can you guess which school has had the biggest football budget in CUSA the last few years on record. It's start with a U and ends with a P. I don't buy that having more money would necessarily mean we know what to do with it.

That's hyperbole. With that schedule our record would be 6-6 or 7-5. Basically the same. It's all about matchups. At worst we're 3-1 with their non conference. Northern I'll is toss up but certainly not a for sure loss.

We're winning every game they won in conference except maybe CSU I don't love that matchup for UTEP. Still a toss top.

However we matchup favorably with two of their losses. We beat SJSU and Hawaii if the fame is in the Sun Bowl.

We're not world beaters yet. We all know we're not where we need to be. We all know we have serious deficiencies that need to be addressed. However, we've only been dubbed by one school all year: UTSA. The Boise State game as stated in the previous post was more about our horrific turnover than Boise dominating. Whoever we play it should be a competitive game and we should expect to win. At this point it's on Dimel. He'll have two weeks to prepare I expect a win and a spring board for next year. As long as he avoids the Mike Price bowl strategy we should be fine.
Once we beat a team with 8 or more wins on the road I'll believe it. Until then I'm going to assume any one with winning record would stomp us.

I hate to admit this cuz I had a big argument with TxRdKiller about it, but can you guess which school has had the biggest football budget in CUSA the last few years on record. It's start with a U and ends with a P. I don't buy that having more money would necessarily mean we know what to do with it.

UTEP does have a healthy CUSA budget. But you're saying if UTEP played Wyomings schedule.

I am sure if Ole Miss Played Southern Miss' schedule they would so better than Southern Miss.

Youre assuming that if we played Wyoming's schedule that UTEP would stay at CUSA standards in everything we do.

In any case. I dont know how Coaching your best roster ever to a 6-6 record that would become a 9-3 record with UTEP'S schedule, makes you an elite coach.

Reactions: JCorona
UTEP does have a healthy CUSA budget. But you're saying if UTEP played Wyomings schedule.

I am sure if Ole Miss Played Southern Miss' schedule they would so better than Southern Miss.

Youre assuming that if we played Wyoming's schedule that UTEP would stay at CUSA standards in everything we do.

In any case. I dont know how Coaching your best roster ever to a 6-6 record that would become a 9-3 record with UTEP'S schedule, makes you an elite coach.
Over the years I've seen our competition level drop and us sink down to their level. I have no faith we would magically get better if we played in a tougher conference. Not with the leadership we've had that likes to claim oh poor us while the numbers show we out spend our conference mates.

In a few weeks Dimel gets another shot at a .500 team or better. This year we're 1-4 against them and hopefully don't end up with a five game losing streak vs teams with a living pulse.

No way in the world we would win against Utah State. Wyoming only won 2 conference games this year. CSU and Utah State. We would lose both. I also do not think UTEP beats San Jose State or Hawaii either as both of those teams would finish at the top of CUSA. There is no comparison. The Mountain West was the top Group of 5 conference and had a 30-19 record out of conference. In comparison CUSA was 24-32 with a Strength of Schedule that was 15th compared to 8th of the Mountain West.

Regardless, the proof would be if we play them head to head in the New Mexico Bowl and don't get our heads bashed in. The talent in the Mountain West top to bottom is way better than CUSA. If we play Nevada, it will be embarrassing as they will name their score. The only thing we can hope for is that Nevada doesn't want to be there and tanks the game.

Over the years I've seen our competition level drop and us sink down to their level. I have no faith we would magically get better if we played in a tougher conference. Not with the leadership we've had that likes to claim oh poor us while the numbers show we out spend our conference mates.

In a few weeks Dimel gets another shot at a .500 team or better. This year we're 1-4 against them and hopefully don't end up with a five game losing streak vs teams with a living pulse.

Your logic is flawed.

We can all agree CUSA is worse than it was when we joined. So youre right that as CUSA gets suckier, its teams suck more.

But to counter that and say if UTEP got into a better conference, they wouldn't improve. Its illogical. Its actually stupid.

To claim a coach is doing a great job because his team would do better in a shitier conference is dumb. Maybe Ed Oregeron shouldn't get fired because LSU would win the Sun Belt.

And maybe UTSA shouldn't give Traylor an extension because if he had Oklahoma's schedule they would have lost more.

Of course IF THIS UTEP team was in MWC they would have a losing record. And IF THAT Wyoming team was in CUSA they would do better.

Your logic is flawed.

We can all agree CUSA is worse than it was when we joined. So youre right that as CUSA gets suckier, its teams suck more.

But to counter that and say if UTEP got into a better conference, they wouldn't improve. Its illogical. Its actually stupid.

To claim a coach is doing a great job because his team would do better in a shitier conference is dumb. Maybe Ed Oregeron shouldn't get fired because LSU would win the Sun Belt.

And maybe UTSA shouldn't give Traylor an extension because if he had Oklahoma's schedule they would have lost more.

Of course IF THIS UTEP team was in MWC they would have a losing record. And IF THAT Wyoming team was in CUSA they would do better.
Just cuz we would make a few millions dollar more in tv revenue in the MW doesn't mean we would be able to keep up with the Jones. Since those schools would also make the same tv money. Biggest difference between our programs and those in the MW is donors and projects. Same problems we faced against all the AAC bound schools.

The simple fact that FCS schools and programs without football can come into CUSA and jump over us tells us everything there is to know.

I don't know how it's flawed. We should have been able to beat these FCS call ups and start from scratch football programs. If we couldn't do that with all the advantages we had, how in the world are we going to go up in conference face all the disadvantages and become better? We would still have been the same old UTEP. Hiring dumb coaches and keeping them too long cuz we "can't afford to buy them out."

I don't know what the hell you're talking about in paragraph four. I didn't say that. I don't who you're responding to with that. I think Bohl is a good coach for what he has accomplished at the FCS level and what he has done in Wyoming. When have we ever played for a conference title or beat two ranked teams in a year? Or won a pair of bowl games or how about beat an SEC team? I can't imagine recruiting to Laramie is any easier than it is to El Paso.

I personally dont think Traylor earned his extension and raise but if UTSA has the money for it, good for them. I remember when they had to borrow our practice jerseys and now we can't even compete with them.

Like I said this looks to be the bowl season matchup. Dimel will have his chance to shut me up.

Just cuz we would make a few millions dollar more in tv revenue in the MW doesn't mean we would be able to keep up with the Jones. Since those schools would also make the same tv money. Biggest difference between our programs and those in the MW is donors and projects. Same problems we faced against all the AAC bound schools.

The simple fact that FCS schools and programs without football can come into CUSA and jump over us tells us everything there is to know.

I don't know how it's flawed. We should have been able to beat these FCS call ups and start from scratch football programs. If we couldn't do that with all the advantages we had, how in the world are we going to go up in conference face all the disadvantages and become better? We would still have been the same old UTEP. Hiring dumb coaches and keeping them too long cuz we "can't afford to buy them out."

I don't know what the hell you're talking about in paragraph four. I didn't say that. I don't who you're responding to with that. I think Bohl is a good coach for what he has accomplished at the FCS level and what he has done in Wyoming. When have we ever played for a conference title or beat two ranked teams in a year? Or won a pair of bowl games or how about beat an SEC team? I can't imagine recruiting to Laramie is any easier than it is to El Paso.

I personally dont think Traylor earned his extension and raise but if UTSA has the money for it, good for them. I remember when they had to borrow our practice jerseys and now we can't even compete with them.

Like I said this looks to be the bowl season matchup. Dimel will have his chance to shut me up.

Your exact quote:

"What do you think our record would be if we had played their schedule? I think maybe 3-9."

I'm just pointing out extreme examples of how asinine that comment is. Pehaps in Austin more revenue doesn't equal more wealth, more spending, and more status. But in the World of College Football it does.

Your exact quote:

"What do you think our record would be if we had played their schedule? I think maybe 3-9."

I'm just pointing out extreme examples of how asinine that comment is. Pehaps in Austin more revenue doesn't equal more wealth, more spending, and more status. But in the World of College Football it does.
I stand by that statement. We played 5 teams with a record of .500 or better and went 1-4.

They played 8 teams with .500 better and went 5-3.

I really wonder what our record would have been if we had to play Marshall instead of ODU. And an 8 win team on the road instead of nmsu.

Reactions: Rocketsr
You go Mike Price: You get a cupcake FCS who counts towards bowl eligibility, schedule a low tier mid major, call up your major P5 coaching buddy to get a home n home or 2 for 1, play ok against average conference mates, blow it against Rice and lose late season conference games you should’ve won in November.

Price beat FCS schools but squeaked out Stoney Brook win on a late interception. He called up Mack Brown and the best part of that series at the SB was the amorous couple hand job on top of the hill caught on national TV and UT taking UTEP behind the wood shed in Austin for the return game. OU came to the SB and UTEP put on a better showing but his stolen recruit (Juaquin Iglesias) who went to OU instead had none of it. OU also showed UTEP woodshed house keeping. Price got owned by Rice while at UTEP and UTEP underperformed in late October and November. UTEP could’ve had a chance to go to CUSA championship early in his tenure but blew it against Tulsa, a game they should have won. Let’s not forget his failures against former UTEP Asst Mumme “the dummy”.

My point? There is no magic bullet. Nord and Kugler had favorable schedules and blew it, too.

Hey, you know what's so cool I just realized.... We're talking about who UTEP plays in a bowl game and if they'll get whooped or have a chance in December!!! I'm glad we're part of the bowl season and hope we win, but just to be talking about it is a little fun I admit!

Doesn’t really matter if people remember it a year from now. The players will always remember and appreciate that their hard work paid off. Only football nerds or people whose livelihoods are dependent on it will remember.
If UTEP manages to win whatever bowl game it will definitely be remembered at UTEP. Remember a few years back the 1988 team was honored and jerseys were made to commemorate the team... they lost the Independence Bowl 38-18.

Earlier this season the 2000 team was inducted into the UTEP Hall of Fame. That team got blasted by TCU and later lost the Humanitarian Bowl 38-23.

The Bowl will be listed in the Larry K Durham Center as well, win or lose.

Reactions: Rocketsr and EMA884
I wonder what is taking so long to announce. I find it highly unlikely that the CUSA champions are going to the NM

No way in the world we would win against Utah State. Wyoming only won 2 conference games this year. CSU and Utah State. We would lose both. I also do not think UTEP beats San Jose State or Hawaii either as both of those teams would finish at the top of CUSA. There is no comparison. The Mountain West was the top Group of 5 conference and had a 30-19 record out of conference. In comparison CUSA was 24-32 with a Strength of Schedule that was 15th compared to 8th of the Mountain West.

Regardless, the proof would be if we play them head to head in the New Mexico Bowl and don't get our heads bashed in. The talent in the Mountain West top to bottom is way better than CUSA. If we play Nevada, it will be embarrassing as they will name their score. The only thing we can hope for is that Nevada doesn't want to be there and tanks the game.
They don't have a head coach so maybe Dimel could take advantage of that.
Lost their coach and their starting qb too as he has entered the xfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT