ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A friend took these photos of a mountain lion this week in Bosque del Apache

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
IMG_4183%20crop%20sharp.jpg

IMG_4185crop%20sharp.jpg

IMG_4186crop%202%20sharp.jpg

IMG_4201crop%20sharp.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

Fortunately for your friend, that mountain lion doesn't look all that hungry.

The size of those paws, though...

I've seen a couple in the wild, but only fleeting glimpses. Very rare to capture photos like this.

I love that big paw in the fourth shot.

Thats how people get attacked . Lucky there wasnt any cubs near by.

We used to take educational groups camping (with special permission) at Bosque del Apache. Our permit was not approved a few years back due to mountain lion sightings. This certainly confirms that report...

I now appreciate those memories of being able to sleep in a tent onsite and get up at daybreak for the mass ascension.

I've seen a few of these beautiful creatures along with mule deer in west El Paso by my old neighborhood on Burning Tree Dr.

I remember a friend telling me about a mountain lion making its way...all the way too H&H Carwash about 5-6 years ago.

Not a happy ending, but astonishing it made its way that far off the foot of the mountain.

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/05/11/mountain-lion-shot-and-killed-downtown-el-paso

It ran right through the outdoor hallways of St. Clement's School to H&H, then got cornered in the carwash. The cops shot it.

It came down to downtown from the mountains because of a drought -- sad ending.

I asked the photographer if she was at all scared, and this was her reply:

"I was in the car! The best way to see stuff at the Bosque is to use it as a blind. But I've come upon cougars while out walking and all I see then is a flash of taupe or maybe the suggestion of that long tail as they leave the scene- on two occasions they even left a kill. I've never really seen a whole one before. But I think they are kind of scared of people."

I asked the photographer if she was at all scared, and this was her reply:

"I was in the car! The best way to see stuff at the Bosque is to use it as a blind. But I've come upon cougars while out walking and all I see then is a flash of taupe or maybe the suggestion of that long tail as they leave the scene- on two occasions they even left a kill. I've never really seen a whole one before. But I think they are kind of scared of people."

Typically speaking, they are scared of people. But if hungry, or feeling threatened, they will do some damage. There are attacks in SoCal, maybe not often, but regularly. Rarely is the attack fatal, though. Still...

There is a leopard or tiger somewhere in the arizona mexican border. Or somewhere in the southwest border. But it came all the way from central america.

Reactions: axingfools1
I have another friend who is a serious outdoorsman and hunter. Here's what he said about the photos:

"That's a pretty rare opportunity to see a mountain lion. I've only seen one, 7 miles back in the wilderness area of the Gila. I range found him at 42 yards before he saw me, never got to draw my bow."

You said a Tiger. Can you just imagine some poor dehydrated dude trying to get over the border and come across a Tiger! What would his last words be?

Hey that would be a good way to stop illegal crossing. Just put lions and tigers all around the border. But yeah it was a Jaguar. You know a lot of the drug cartels like to collect big cats and exotic animals. I wouldnt be shocked if some of their animals got away. Whats his name Escobar collected Hippos and when he was caught a lot of his hippos were let loose in Colombia. Now Colombia has one of the biggest population of hippos outside of Africa.lol

I thought it was interesting that Hippos are one of the most dangerous animals on earth. They are actually the most dangerous large animal in Africa, based off of the number of humans that they kill each year. The most deadliest animal is the.......mosquito, which is responsible for killing around 750,000 people per year according to this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/which-animal-kills-the-most-humans/

I thought it was interesting that Hippos are one of the most dangerous animals on earth. They are actually the most dangerous large animal in Africa, based off of the number of humans that they kill each year. The most deadliest animal is the.......mosquito, which is responsible for killing around 750,000 people per year according to this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/which-animal-kills-the-most-humans/

I just learned about that on some show on Vice a couple days ago. Crazy how many people those little fuggers kill.

There is a leopard or tiger somewhere in the arizona mexican border. Or somewhere in the southwest border. But it came all the way from central america.

Leon Metz has a book about the history of our region and he goes back thousands of years and stated that leopards were once very common in our region but over time were pushed all the way down to Mexico and South America due to the appearance of tribes who came into the area and hunted the shit out of them forcing them to migrate over thousands of miles to the jungles of Latin America.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT