ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

I already said I was wrong. This is why I won't be responding to any of your posts anymore. It's a waste of time. Have fun talking to your other immature buddies on here.
so you're saying.... randaddy miner is to auto boy as the coronavirus task force is to trump????

More young people across Texas & the South testing positive for virus
CNN
Published 10:06 AM MDT

Officials in states across the South are warning that more young people are testing positive for coronavirus.

The shifts in demographics have been recorded in parts of Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas and other states -- many of which were some of the first to reopen.

And while some officials have pointed to more widespread testing being done, others say the new cases stem from Americans failing to social distance.

In Mississippi, where one health officer called adherence to social distancing over the past weeks "overwhelmingly disappointing," officials attributed clusters of new cases to fraternity rush parties.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said last week that people under 30 made up a majority of new coronavirus cases in several counties. He said that increase in young infected people could be related to Memorial Day parties, visits to bars or other gatherings.

And in Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Friday that the median age was 37 for newly diagnosed coronavirus cases over the last week. In the state, 62% of new cases for the week of June 7 are under 45 years old, he said.

"That is a big change from where we were at the end of March and the beginning of April. It was skewing much older at that time," he said.

Coronavirus has more severe outcomes on older people, Blacks and Hispanics, and people with underlying health conditions, according to demographic data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. From the beginning of the pandemic up through May 30, the median age of positive coronavirus cases was 48, the CDC said.

Given the case increases, the CDC has been conducting a scientific review about the public health benefits of masks, and will soon make an updated recommendation, a senior CDC official told CNN.

A senior official with knowledge of the review said science is being studied as to whether masks are not only "good for source control -- and keeping you from giving it to others -- but we're also seeing if masks are going to protect you from getting [Covid-19] yourself."

"We know it's a good thing to wear a mask to protect others. We are studying if it is also potentially going to keep you safe," the official added.

The CDC website has two separate pages of guidance on face coverings. One recommends people wear masks when they leave their home. The other recommends people wear a mask if they cannot properly social distance.

So far, the US has recorded more than 2.2 million cases and at least 119,719 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Where young people are testing positive
In Florida, Gov. DeSantis said Saturday cases are "shifting in a radical direction" toward populations in their 20s and 30s.

Those younger groups testing positive are mostly asymptomatic and don't require clinical attention, the governor said.

"We're also seeing that not only are they testing positive because they're testing more, they're also testing positive at a higher rate increasingly over the last week," DeSantis said, adding there's evidence of transmission between those younger groups.

That increased testing, he said, comes as many people are returning to the workforce.

Experts have raised alarm about Florida's climbing cases, saying the state could become the next US coronavirus epicenter. On Saturday, Florida reported 4,049 new cases -- the most reported in a single day.

In South Carolina, health officials said Friday people under the age of 30 were increasingly testing positive for the virus -- around 18% of the state's total cases come from people between the ages of 21 and 30.

"The increases that we're seeing serve as a warning that young adults and youth are not immune to Covid-19," said Dr. Brannon Traxler, the state's Department of Health and Environmental Control physician consultant. "They also tell us that younger South Carolinians are not taking social distancing seriously."

And Georgia's largest hospital also reported seeing an increase in patients in their 20s and 30s, according to CNN affiliate WSB.

"It's a little bit of a disturbing trend, and what frightens me is not only that they are younger, the potential of them infecting other people, particularly parents and grandparents," Chief Medical Officer at Grady Health System Dr. Robert Jansen told the news station.

Despite stark warnings from experts across the US, hundreds gathered Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for President Donald Trump's first re-election campaign rally since the start of the pandemic.

Few donned masks even as Tulsa County reported its highest number of new infections in a day Saturday -- the fifth time this week the country reported a record.

Less than 7% social distancing in one Texas county
In Galveston County, Texas, Dr. Philip Keiser with the local health department told CNN affiliate KPRC they were seeing a lot of infections in young people.

And the age of the people testing positive is trending younger, he told the news station.

"Our average age last week of people that were positive was age 30, the average age of people getting tested was 47," he said.

And those numbers come as many haven't followed guidance issued by health officials urging residents to keep their distance and wear face coverings.

"We have data from some of the cell phone companies that show in Galveston County less than 7% of the people are social distancing," Keiser said.

Galveston County is home to about 342,139 people, according to the US Census Bureau.

Nearly half of states see rise in new cases
According to data from Johns Hopkins University, at least 23 states are trending upward in new cases compared to last week. Ten of those states reported more than a 50% jump -- including Texas and Florida, which were some of the first states to begin reopening.

California, the first state to enforce sweeping lockdown measures, is also seeing an increase in cases.

Meanwhile new cases in New York -- once the epicenter of the outbreak -- are declining. On Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo delivered his final coronavirus briefing after what he called "111 days of hell."

As some states report record numbers of daily new cases and state leaders mull implementing face mask requirements, the World Health Organization warned the pandemic is accelerating.

More than 150,000 new cases of the virus were reported to WHO Thursday, the organization's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a Friday news conference.

Almost half of those cases were reported from the Americas, he said.

"The world is in a new and dangerous phase. Many people are understandably fed up with being at home. Countries are understandably eager to open up their societies and economies. But the virus is spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible," he said.

Reactions: develman
Also, I asked him if its losing its lethality? He said it is. He said fewer people are getting really sick. He said he had one patient go on a vent but the guys wife didnt get sick at all. He tells me 'if you were a virus and wanted to survive for a while, would you kill your host?' He said many viruses will do this to prolong their existence.

As noted in another thread, it’s highly unlikely that anyone is going to change anyone’s mind about anything here. I will just add some information I have come across. Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to sit in on a meeting between the Emergency Management Division and the Department of Health. Their presentations offered a much more grim outlook.

The TL/DR of it is that a lot of COVID positive cases are not getting reported and/or documented correctly. There is also a wave of a 2000’ish strain of SARS in El Paso. Fort Bliss continues to be a giant question mark. More people are walking around with a communicable disease than we realize.

Even more... Solid stats are just now coming out regarding phase 1 of El Paso reopening. People in their 20’s and 30’s are major transmitters. Everyone assumed the young would probably not be affected. Not so. I had never heard the term ‘Covid Toes.’ A google search made it sound like it’s a rare symptom. Locally, a surging number of children are presenting with it - with no other Covid symptoms.

It’s just getting crazy. I really hope people will put their health ahead of their politics. Wear a mask and social distance.

Who's gonna let their kids attend school and play sports if its allowed in few months?

I would imagine some don’t have a choice.

If you work during the day and have nobody to watch your kids, what do you do? Of course we’re talking like 4-10 maybe?

You have to work to support them, you’re not going to get unemployment if you quit to take care of them. Can’t really work a night job. Some don’t have a choice and will be sending their kids to school. I don’t think I will be sending mine, unless the cases start declining.

If the majority of people stayed the fvck home, football could be a possibility in September. Going to need a tremendous 6 weeks of straight decline for any hope.

Just a warning to all my peeps here....

Sierra opened a COVID unit on the 5th floor and its already full. Patients are being diverted from east and memorial because they are full. A lot of younger people testing positive now. The numbers are jumping dramatically solely based on stupidity and what we call "superman syndrome". Multiply our positive cases by at least 5-10x and that's likely more accurate.

Don't test the coronavirus. Its still very dangerous. You may not die, but others will. Help protect yourselves and others. Wear your masks and keep social distancing. Stick to your immediate family. There will be a vaccine, but not anytime soon.

Like a proper shutdown would have let us reopen sooner, more smoothly, but we didn’t do it.

it’s that old saying, do the job right once and you won’t have to do it again. Aren’t there places that have already kicked this epidemic?

Like a proper shutdown would have let us reopen sooner, more smoothly, but we didn’t do it.

it’s that old saying, do the job right once and you won’t have to do it again. Aren’t there places that have already kicked this epidemic?

Doubt it. Who’s to say that those states who have decreased in cases won’t experience the uptick Texas, or much of the south, has?

I’ve seen in my smallish county how just a few cases can turn into a wildfire fairly quickly.

Honestly, I think it’s too soon to draw any conclusions. Looking at things now is probably quite different than it will be looking at the whole picture down the road. I foresee several ups and downs before this thing is within our ability to somewhat control, whether thru vaccination or medicine.

We did it proper. People just either didn't follow instructions or didn't agree. Even then, there will still be cases. A lot of cases. Some believe in sacrificing a few for heard immunity, but i say just hunker down and wait for a vaccine if you can.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Doubt it. Who’s to say that those states who have decreased in cases won’t experience the uptick Texas, or much of the south, has?

I’ve seen in my smallish county how just a few cases can turn into a wildfire fairly quickly.

Honestly, I think it’s too soon to draw any conclusions. Looking at things now is probably quite different than it will be looking at the whole picture down the road. I foresee several ups and downs before this thing is within our ability to somewhat control, whether thru vaccination or medicine.
I was thinking New Zeland kicked it, but you know different circumstances, it’s a rural country and an island.

I agree here. Shut down, stock up on supplies, slow the virus down, and slowly open up again.

I think what happened is we didn’t stock up on supplies in the meantime, we reopened too quick, and Corona became a political/philosophical issue instead of a medical one.
If we only listened to science rather than rabble-rousing yahoos on radio and TV.

If we only listened to science rather than rabble-rousing yahoos on radio and TV.

Totally agree with that sentiment. Crazy how this illness has become so politicized and polarizing.

I would add, though, that science can’t answer all the questions. There’s also gotta be, for lack of a better word, an art to how we go about things too. I think it’s in our best interest. With that said, some of the decisions made aren’t going to be to everyone’s liking.

Our biggest problem is that we are Americans. Used to freedom and self determination. In countries with authoritarian rule their population was used to being told what they can and can’t do.

Our biggest problem is that we are Americans. Used to freedom and self determination. In countries with authoritarian rule their population was used to being told what they can and can’t do.
China and India used repression to control the virus for sure.

I think in other countries, it just didn’t become so political. Half the country didn’t fight the scientists.

But I think that’s the reflex here. If Trump said he loved donuts, they’d burn down Krispy Kreme, but if Obama said he liked puppies, the other half would be giving up their dogs. It’s sad.

China and India used repression to control the virus for sure.

I think in other countries, it just didn’t become so political. Half the country didn’t fight the scientists.

But I think that’s the reflex here. If Trump said he loved donuts, they’d burn down Krispy Kreme, but if Obama said he liked puppies, the other half would be giving up their dogs. It’s sad.
True that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT