ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Los Angeles Chargers

ShovelMan66

All Star
Jun 29, 2017
I posted this befor a while back. But im telling you El Paso needs to go for this. The Chargers would thrive in EL paso. The attendance is horrible here in LA. The city doesnt care about this them. The Sun Bowl would just have to be bigger. Mountain Star should purchase the Chargers and move them to El paso.

I posted this befor a while back. But im telling you El Paso needs to go for this. The Chargers would thrive in EL paso. The attendance is horrible here in LA. The city doesnt care about this them. The Sun Bowl would just have to be bigger. Mountain Star should purchase the Chargers and move them to El paso.
Make sure we work with the NFL to schedule the Cowboys here every year. Then Schedule two of the London games, a Mexico City game. Then you just have to worry about filling the stadium for four games.

Well, this would make me a Chargers fan again, and I would once again care about the NFL (with the Chargers gone from San Diego and the Miners sucking so bad, I have never been so apathetic about football). However, this would be a horrible idea. I don't think that El Paso would support a team at the high ticket prices charged by NFL franchises. We might be able to support them better than LA is now, but that's a pretty low bar. The best thing that could happen to the Chargers is for Dean Spanos (a**hole!) to sell them, and for the new owner to move them back to San Diego.

Make sure we work with the NFL to schedule the Cowboys here every year. Then Schedule two of the London games, a Mexico City game. Then you just have to worry about filling the stadium for four games.
The stadium would be full every week but I think they move back to San Diego rather than come here.

So you come on here with numerous different handles just to mock people? You bitch about having your own opinions heard. You support the Chihuahuas and Mountain Star to no end, but then you call people delusional when they like the idea of professional soccer/stadium in El Paso. Get a life...

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
So you come on here with numerous different handles just to mock people? You bitch about having your own opinions heard. You support the Chihuahuas and Mountain Star to no end, but then you call people delusional when they like the idea of professional soccer/stadium in El Paso. Get a life...
While this thread was intended to troll us I don’t believe that shovelman is the infamous poster you’re referring to. As far as the new guy with the jackpot handle, that might be a different story.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I thought there were rumors that they goofed and want to go back?
Mistake?? The Miners are out drawing them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Home opener in San Diego VS Home opener in LA... Atta Boy Deano Great Decision! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Chargers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FightForLAst?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#FightForLAst</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekNBCSD?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@DerekNBCSD</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottKaplan?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@ScottKaplan</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/jmt619?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@jmt619</a> <a href="https://t.co/BaWnkV7Db8">pic.twitter.com/BaWnkV7Db8</a></p>&mdash; Jessie Burns ⚾️ (@jburnsey22) <a href="">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The stadium would be full every week but I think they move back to San Diego rather than come here.

Mistake?? The Miners are out drawing them.

Actually neither of the above is true. Currently the Miners are averaging 20,562 per game. The Chargers aren't doing much better, and are less than pathetic by NFL standards, with 25,280 per game. When you look at ticket prices, tickets for the Chargers' next game against Denver run from $135 to over $1,000. Tickets for our next game against UTSA cost between $10 and $25 per ticket.

Bring the Chargers to El Paso and our stadium would be even more empty than theirs.

Actually neither of the above is true. Currently the Miners are averaging 20,562 per game. The Chargers aren't doing much better, and are less than pathetic by NFL standards, with 25,280 per game. When you look at ticket prices, tickets for the Chargers' next game against Denver run from $135 to over $1,000. Tickets for our next game against UTSA cost between $10 and $25 per ticket.

Bring the Chargers to El Paso and our stadium would be even more empty than theirs.
Not necessarily. If there was a real (sort of being the chargers) NFL team here, you can bet your ass people here would flock to it. Spend $135 to watch a real NFL team versus flying to watch a team elsewhere? No brainer.
Hard to imagine it could get enough season ticket holders here, but hey, what do I know? We have a lot of folks in the area that just might travel here 8 times a year.

It's my only handle. I don't support the Chihuahuas and Mountain Star to no end. I practically crapped all over their idea for stadium for a USL team.

Yeah anyone who thinks El Paso is a major league town IS delusional. Most of you have no clue how TV contracts and markets work. El Paso is wanted by nobody. The Coyotes and all other major sports Leagues aren't coming here.

El Paso is a "poor" city and some of the residents don't even speak English. And people think a NHL team coming here is possible. The NHL has the most affluent fans of the 4 major sports and a 180 million dollar arena is not even close to being NHL caliber.

It's my only handle. I don't support the Chihuahuas and Mountain Star to no end. I practically crapped all over their idea for stadium for a USL team.

Yeah anyone who thinks El Paso is a major league town IS delusional. Most of you have no clue how TV contracts and markets work. El Paso is wanted by nobody. The Coyotes and all other major sports Leagues aren't coming here.

El Paso is a "poor" city and some of the residents don't even speak English. And people think a NHL team coming here is possible. The NHL has the most affluent fans of the 4 major sports and a 180 million dollar arena is not even close to being NHL caliber.
giphy.gif

Reactions: El Paso 777
The NHL has the most affluent fans of the 4 major sports and a 180 million dollar arena is not even close to being NHL caliber.
Just to let you know that if El Paso built a 180 million dollar arena it would rank in the top 10 out of the 31 arenas in the NHL dollar for dollar.

Not only would people from El Paso support a team, but you also have to count the people in Juarez, Las Cruces, Alamagordo, etc.

Just to let you know that if El Paso built a 180 million dollar arena it would rank in the top 10 out of the 31 arenas in the NHL dollar for dollar.

The 2 newest arenas TMOBILE Arena cost 375m and the Rogers Centre in Edmonton cost $480m. Do you know how money works? Yes, the United Center cost 175m to build, but that was 25 years ago. Same goes for MSG. You can't build that arena for the money it was originally built with. $180m is not NBA/NHL caliber these days.

I forgot, the newest arena in Detroit, cost nearly $860m. It's not happening, not now, not ever.

Not only would people from El Paso support a team, but you also have to count the people in Juarez, Las Cruces, Alamagordo, etc.

How many people in El Paso even know who Auston Matthews is? You think Juarez cares about anything other than soccer?

If we had an MLS team and it qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League not even the Sun Bowl would be able to hold the crowds it would draw for the home and away games vs Liga MX teams. Imagine if FC Juárez gets promoted to Primera División and we end up facing off against them. That would be an impressive derby rivalry game. It would be yuuuge!

Reactions: axingfools1
MLS would be a disaster here. MLS ticket prices are expensive and El Paso can't afford those prices. Houston Dynamo's cheapest tickets are 200 level general admission tickets for $29 and that doesn't include convenience fees. Then they range up to $107. Very few in EP will be buying the $40-107 tickets and those tickets need to be bought for any major league team to even survive.If we do get a MLS team and they have a losing record, nobody is going to be spending over $130 (just for tickets) ,for a family of 4 to go watch a losing MLS team.
2nd---Every good player will get the hell out of El Paso when they become a free agent., and any good free agent will not want to come to El Paso Texas. I don't know which thread I read someone say that MLS will be successful here because all we have to do is sign a former star from the European league to come here. Any former European star is going to go to a big MLS franchise like LA, NYC, Miami (when they get a MLS team), Orlando, Chicago and will never come to El Paso.
3rd people in Juarez don't give a sh*it about MLS. Liga MX is a better league than MLS and that is what they follow. Very few people from Juarez would come over to watch MLS soccer here.

MLS has NO INTEREST in putting a team in EL Paso.

MLS would be a disaster here. MLS ticket prices are expensive and El Paso can't afford those prices. Houston Dynamo's cheapest tickets are 200 level general admission tickets for $29 and that doesn't include convenience fees. Then they range up to $107. Very few in EP will be buying the $40-107 tickets and those tickets need to be bought for any major league team to even survive.If we do get a MLS team and they have a losing record, nobody is going to be spending over $130 (just for tickets) ,for a family of 4 to go watch a losing MLS team.
2nd---Every good player will get the hell out of El Paso when they become a free agent., and any good free agent will not want to come to El Paso Texas. I don't know which thread I read someone say that MLS will be successful here because all we have to do is sign a former star from the European league to come here. Any former European star is going to go to a big MLS franchise like LA, NYC, Miami (when they get a MLS team), Orlando, Chicago and will never come to El Paso.
3rd people in Juarez don't give a sh*it about MLS. Liga MX is a better league than MLS and that is what they follow. Very few people from Juarez would come over to watch MLS soccer here.

And yet some people think we should make a run at The Chargers or The Coyotes.

Reactions: ShovelMan66

That's what some of these guys don't get. Aside from the high prices, these 2 points are key. Mostly, the fact that MLS does not want El Paso, makes everything else a non-starter.

Same goes for the USL team. Are non soccer lovers going to come pay to watch old washouts and ex-college players in El Paso? The USL will not be able to draw casual fans with these players. Take a look at the USL rosters and I'd bet you couldn't even get a starting 11 with known players. Only diehards and soccer hippies will be attending most games.

El Paso supported the Diablos and had a long history of pro baseball here. The Patriots weren't really supported well and might have been around for 20 years. Far cry from how long Minor League baseball has been supported here.

I don't recall anyone saying the Chihuahuas weren't going to draw. The issue was the stadium then the name.

El Paso supported the Diablos and had a long history of pro baseball here. The Patriots weren't really supported well and might have been around for 20 years. Far cry from how long Minor League baseball has been supported here.

I don't recall anyone saying the Chihuahuas weren't going to draw. The issue was the stadium then the name.

You can't compare the Patriots to the Diablos because the Patriots were very low on the totem pole.

There were many people who said the Chihuahuas weren't going to be successful and nobody was going to go to the games.

Reactions: axingfools1
At the end, they were in the 4th division. How do you think they got there? Lack of money, from lack of support. The Pats were in the A League for several years. It was the precursor to the current USL. They played in the same league as the Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact, and Vancouver Whitecaps (86ers). All of them are now in MLS.

Nobody cared about the Pats and very few will care about this future team.

It’s stating to feel like some people don’t want to see El Paso revitalized and prosper. I get it we are not ready for a professional team right now. I will also not accept the “never going to happen” loser mentality. We have no idea how America will look half a century from now. It might not happen in our lifetime. It can happen.

Why on earth would we not want an extra 16-20 weekends where 5-7 thousand people flock downtown to catch a game? Afterwards they can eat at a restaurant, drink at a bar, or anything else that starts popping up downtown.

I’ll fully support this project with season tickets. There is a big difference between a Mountain Star owned team and all the other bush league teams that used to be in El Paso.

If Bob Stull can con 20k people to show up to our pathetic football games to watch shitty CUSA teams then the USL team will have no problem drawing a 1/4 of that.

I remember people said that about the Chihuahuas as well.
How many email accounts can one person have to register on a message board they keep getting banned from? OMG!

I LIKE watching soccer. I am the typical casual fan in El Paso. I have never heard of USL. That being said, I know soccer is loved here on the border. It is possible is could succeed as a USL franchise. Personally, I don't think so. My friends are Mexico soccer fans and Europe league fans. I am willing to bet they would rather go to a bar and watch Barcelona-Real Madrid before coughing up ANY amount of money to watch a USL team live here.

I would love to see El Paso develop and improve, but I am doubtful this is the the right avenue.

For the record chihuahua, the ONLY thing people said about the chihuahuas was they won't be successful very long. EVERYONE agreed they would do well initially. They are doing an amazing job so for, but quite honestly, El Paso has long supported minor league baseball. They had a good head start. Not so much with soccer. Stop trying to pimp out the Chihuahuas, chihuahua. We already know they do a good job.

It’s stating to feel like some people don’t want to see El Paso revitalized and prosper. I get it we are not ready for a professional team right now. I will also not accept the “never going to happen” loser mentality. We have no idea how America will look half a century from now. It might not happen in our lifetime. It can happen.

Why on earth would we not want an extra 16-20 weekends where 5-7 thousand people flock downtown to catch a game? Afterwards they can eat at a restaurant, drink at a bar, or anything else that starts popping up downtown.

I’ll fully support this project with season tickets. There is a big difference between a Mountain Star owned team and all the other bush league teams that used to be in El Paso.

If Bob Stull can con 20k people to show up to our pathetic football games to watch shitty CUSA teams then the USL team will have no problem drawing a 1/4 of that.

How is a minor league Soccer team going to help revitalize El Paso? This team plays basically the same time the Chihuahuas do, so they won't be bringing that many more people downtown and they're still not bringing them during the winter. Put a G League team here and I would support it.

Just because I think it's not a great idea, doesn't mean I don't want things for El Paso. EP and a lot of other cities, will never be major league cities, and that's fine. El Paso will never be the HQ of NASA and a lot of other government entities either. That's fine too. Keep reaching for the heavens though, I'll keep reaching for the ceiling and I'll be a lot more successful too.

A stadium for this team and league is ridiculous. UTEP draws 20k because they've been around forever and that's EP's team. It will take decades for this soccer team to be 1/10 as successful as UTEP.

SO keep trying to bang that 10 that lives in Beverly Hills. I'll be banging the 8s in El Paso.

Interesting that Edinburg a city with a population around 87,000 has no problems supporting their USL team. They averaged over 7,000 a game while having a team that didn’t make the playoffs and had a losing record.

Reno a city a 1/4 the size of El Paso also has no problems averaging above the USL league average. In AAA baseball Reno ranks in the bottom 1/4 of attendance average while El Paso has been a top three team from the get go.

USL will flourish in El Paso. We will be in the 1/4 top of attendance in the league. In the western conference we will give Sacramento and San Antonio a run for their money for best attendance.

We will also have competitive teams as evidenced by the Bravos and Chihuahuas. They will be good fast. The Bravos won the Ascenso league during their first year. By their third year the Chihuahuas has already won the PCL.

Ok I give up trying to reason with non progressive individuals. Fu*k it let’s just hire Eric Price for football. It’s not like we are ever going to have a good team anyway.

Edit as I saw just the comment above mine. We don’t need a team that plays during the winter as we already have UTEP basketball. This USL team will now guarantee that every weekend during the spring and summer will have a sporting event downtown. Either a baseball game or soccer game. During the off-season of football and basketball.

Product, price, place and promotion. The way to get people to show up to the games is to give them value for their $$. I agree that people probably won't show up to old cohen stadium as is to watch some USL team. But if you renovate nicely or create a nice stadium with good food and drink options, children's activities, live music, gift shops, comfortable seating, protection from the elements, convenient parking, pregame activities and adequate marketing along with an attractive brand image, people will want to be a part of the show. If you do it half-assed and cheap (UTEP) you'll fail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT