ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Los Angeles Chargers

That's true, but we would be giving the same people the same benefit. A few bucks here, few bucks there, add up.

Most people don't even pay attention to the taxes. It's not like the average person is going to stray from El Paso for a few bucks.

Atlanta has the highest attendance this year. Seattle usually leads and has done a great job supporting them. Dallas and Colorado have issues because their stadiums are located in suburbs.

Not sure what this has to do with El Paso though.

The statement was that a winning MLS team would sell out the Sun Bowl. That would require over 50,000... do you think El Paso would draw that level of attendance?

The statement was that a winning MLS team would sell out the Sun Bowl. That would require over 50,000... do you think El Paso would draw that level of attendance?
Actually the original statement I made is that if we qualified for the CONCACAF champions league we would sell out the Sun Bowl. It would have to be a name opponent but if the storm hit perfectly then I don’t see how an El Paso FC vs an America, Chivas or Juárez Bravos doesn’t sell out.

As an example I’ll use the 2015 Montreal Impact. During the season they averaged a little under 18,000. With their best game attendance at 25,000. During the in season CONCACAF Champions League game vs America it drew a crowd of over 61,000.

Given the proximity El Paso has to Mexico and the amount of Liga MX fans in the area I believe it could duplicate a similar crowd.

Look at the Sun Bowl when Chivas came here in 2014. If I remember correctly tickets for this game were not cheap, but not even close to what MLS would cost. Everyone like to say "Juarez will help attendance" etc... where are all these Juarez people for this game with a very popular team in Mexico playing in the Sun Bowl????? MLS will never make it in El Paso.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Why can the city of El Paso and UTEP get either @ussoccer and/or @ussoccer_wnt for a World Cup friendly or qualifier to the Sun Bowl? I realize that a temporary grass field would have to be installed and have it either before or after the UTEP football season.

The USMNT doesn't exactly set the US ablaze with ticket sales. Look at the crowds for any game besides Mexico. Crowds are usually below 20,000. A US National team friendly wouldn't draw flies here.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Why can the city of El Paso and UTEP get either @ussoccer and/or @ussoccer_wnt for a World Cup friendly or qualifier to the Sun Bowl? I realize that a temporary grass field would have to be installed and have it either before or after the UTEP football season.
That would really cool for a WC warm up (if they were in the world cup) or a Hex game against say Costa Rica or Panama. I would definitely be there and I personally know many others that would be there too. WC will be in North America in 2026 so there is plenty of time to get a warm-up or Hex game.

The USMNT doesn't exactly set the US ablaze with ticket sales. Look at the crowds for any game besides Mexico. Crowds are usually below 20,000. A US National team friendly wouldn't draw flies here.
Average attendance for 2017 Gold Cup in the U.S. was 39,847. Games were in Nashville, Tampa, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Arlington and Santa Clara. None of the games were against Mexico. El Paso could easily get 40,000 for a gold cup game (especially in the knock out stage). A game with Mexico would sell out in less than 24 hours. I doubt that would happen but how many times has the U.S. held "home" games in California with Mexico?

Reactions: El Paso 777
I gave you facts. Now you are just manipulating your argument...sigh. Nevermind. I'm glad you are not in charge of any decision making in El Paso (presumably).
I remember years ago when they reduced the Sun Bowl capacity and made it soccer friendly they sure did sell us on the prospect of hosting big soccer matches. Almost 20 years later and the best we have gotten is a couple of Liga MX teams sending over their C teams.

They’ve tried other cities how about giving El Paso a chance? Let us host a USMNT friendly and see if we don’t beat those crowds of 10,000. Lets make a deal if we get over 25k we get to host a WC qualifier or Gold Cup game. If we don’t they never have to come back to the Sun Bowl.

I was talking about friendlies, then you came up with Gold Cup stats. Yeah the final vs Jamaica, claimed 63,000, but it was nowhere near that. I'm telling you, US Soccer would not be a successful draw here. Nobody cares, especially after missing out on the World Cup. Way more Mexico fans than US fans in EP.

I was talking about friendlies, then you came up with Gold Cup stats. Yeah the final vs Jamaica, claimed 63,000, but it was nowhere near that. I'm telling you, US Soccer would not be a successful draw here. Nobody cares, especially after missing out on the World Cup. Way more Mexico fans than US fans in EP.
I agree with more no shows than actual attendance. The reason being is that many anticipated a USMNT vs Mexico final. I still saw a lot of Mexico jerseys sprinkled throughout the stadium. Let me ask you this if a friendly between a B team Chivas vs some unknown club from Brazil can draw over 15,000 then why wouldn’t a USMNT friendly draw at least that amount if not more?

How expensive is it to put in a temporary grass field for only one game? (I have no idea; I'm genuinely curious.)

And after UTEP football season, but presumably before the Sun Bowl, we'd be talking about putting a grass field in the Sun Bowl in El Paso in November or December; I can't imagine it would take. So the match would almost certainly have to be in late spring or summer, instead.

Still, I think it would be worth it if we could guarantee a sellout.

And hey, if we can't lure the USMNT to the Sun Bowl for a friendly, how about Mexico's national team? I guarantee that would pack the stadium.

Incredible but true. What I see is a lot of experts and they know it all.
They can predict positive and negative outcomes, shut down a project
because they don't like it or think its going to fail. We also have the one's
who's money will be dumped into the trash can.

I am with the people who want to see the city grow. If we don't give it a shot
we will never know. Speculations can go both ways, can we stay positive.
the money has to be used somewhere so use it where we have a chance
to enjoy something.

It's a shame what is going on with the arena because a few negative people
wan to see things go their way. As you can see the money is being dumped
into the trash can on legal fees due to some retards who want to preserve
Duranguito but won't invest a dime on the city.

The Mexican National team will never play in the Sun Bowl. They have stated they will not play on artificial turf for fear of injury. If they won't play on artificial turf, they sure as hell won't play on grass sod placed on top of plywood. Im sure the US team feels the same way.

The Mexican National team will never play in the Sun Bowl. They have stated they will not play on artificial turf for fear of injury. If they won't play on artificial turf, they sure as hell won't play on grass sod placed on top of plywood. Im sure the US team feels the same way.
In the last year I’ve seen a Mexico game at the Alamodome and a USMNT game at AT&T Stadium. What do they use and can we also use it?

In the last year I’ve seen a Mexico game at the Alamodome and a USMNT game at AT&T Stadium. What do they use and can we also use it?
Sun Bowl has fieldturf which the MLS will not use (except Seattle but they will change to grass for some games). They prefer natural grass. AT&T stadium uses matrixturf. Im not sure if the USMNT played on it though or if it was changed to grass. Sun Bowl would need to be changed to grass for a high caliber game.

Last edited:
I agree with more no shows than actual attendance. The reason being is that many anticipated a USMNT vs Mexico final. I still saw a lot of Mexico jerseys sprinkled throughout the stadium. Let me ask you this if a friendly between a B team Chivas vs some unknown club from Brazil can draw over 15,000 then why wouldn’t a USMNT friendly draw at least that amount if not more?

Wasn't that the first match in the Sun Bowl? There was/is probably more Chivas fans in EP/Juarez than there are US fans. If these soccer exhibitions are so successful, why don't they happen more often? I saw Tigres and Pumas play over 10 years in the Sun Bowl. Far from a sellout crowd.

US vs anybody other than Mexico wouldn't make money.

Incredible but true. What I see is a lot of experts and they know it all.
They can predict positive and negative outcomes, shut down a project
because they don't like it or think its going to fail. We also have the one's
who's money will be dumped into the trash can.

I am with the people who want to see the city grow. If we don't give it a shot
we will never know. Speculations can go both ways, can we stay positive.
the money has to be used somewhere so use it where we have a chance
to enjoy something.

It's a shame what is going on with the arena because a few negative people
wan to see things go their way. As you can see the money is being dumped
into the trash can on legal fees due to some retards who want to preserve
Duranguito but won't invest a dime on the city.

So the people who want to preserve Durangito are "retards", but you want to preserve Floyd, doesn't that make you a "retard"? Tim Floyd and 80s basketball is Duranguito in everyone else's opinion. Funny how others with a different point of view are retards.

I agree that Duranguito should be demolished and an arena should be built there, but there's people who don't want to see change. That's fine, they can watch their old, crappy buildings, while other cities get events. Just like you can watch your old, crappy coach.

So the people who want to preserve Durangito are "retards", but you want to preserve Floyd, doesn't that make you a "retard"? Tim Floyd and 80s basketball is Duranguito in everyone else's opinion. Funny how others with a different point of view are retards.

I agree that Duranguito should be demolished and an arena should be built there, but there's people who don't want to see change. That's fine, they can watch their old, crappy buildings, while other cities get events. Just like you can watch your old, crappy coach.
Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black. I seem to remember you using the words delusional and idiot, so what's wrong with the word retard professor?

Reactions: El Paso 777
Retard is a derogatory term for a person with down syndrome. Do I really need to explain it further? Idiot and delusional are nowhere near that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT