ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Los Angeles Chargers

How is a minor league Soccer team going to help revitalize El Paso? This team plays basically the same time the Chihuahuas do, so they won't be bringing that many more people downtown and they're still not bringing them during the winter. Put a G League team here and I would support it.

A stadium for this team and league is ridiculous. UTEP draws 20k because they've been around forever and that's EP's team. It will take decades for this soccer team to be 1/10 as successful as UTEP.

I'll be banging the 8s in El Paso.

It is going to help revitalize El Paso because they will be playing in a high level league with a brand new stadium. I promise you people will support the team.

So you're saying it will take decades for the team to draw 2,000 people?

Yeah, keep telling yourself your're banging 8's. If you have to brag about it usually isn't happening.

USL a high high level league????? The USL's leading goal scorer since 2010 has played zero games in MLS. That doesn't say a lot about the talent level of USL. And now we have to build a expensive brand new stadium downtown for this?? hell no. Don't believe Mountain Stars spin about how USL is equivalent to AAA baseball because it is not even close. In AAA baseball, we get to see up and coming MLB players like Hedges and Renfroe. In USL, we will see players that have no chance to play in MLS, MLS is ranked #10 in professional soccer leagues in the world, so MLS sucks and these guys don't even have a chance to play in a sorry ass professional league. If Paul Foster wants to fund this stadium then fine, but taxpayers should not spend a dime on a stadium for this sorry ass USL league.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Its mountain stars money. If they wanna bring a soccer team let them. I like how people complain when its not their money. If Pizza Hut wants to build you cant stop them.

Its mountain stars money. If they wanna bring a soccer team let them. I like how people complain when its not their money. If Pizza Hut wants to build you cant stop them.
True. Mountain Star is asking for city/county help though. The city could increase hotel tax again, but they need to work out the arena issue first. That 2012 bond portion for the arena has been losing money for almost 5 years now. I personally don't mind spending money on bigger and better things like a new soccer stadium, but getting it built fast and without roadblocks is a different issue.

USL a high high level league????? The USL's leading goal scorer since 2010 has played zero games in MLS. That doesn't say a lot about the talent level of USL. And now we have to build a expensive brand new stadium downtown for this?? hell no. Don't believe Mountain Stars spin about how USL is equivalent to AAA baseball because it is not even close. In AAA baseball, we get to see up and coming MLB players like Hedges and Renfroe. In USL, we will see players that have no chance to play in MLS, MLS is ranked #10 in professional soccer leagues in the world, so MLS sucks and these guys don't even have a chance to play in a sorry ass professional league. If Paul Foster wants to fund this stadium then fine, but taxpayers should not spend a dime on a stadium for this sorry ass USL league.

Another Negative Nancy.

777, what things about that Negative Nancy's post are factually incorrect?

- Don't believe Mountain Stars spin about how USL is equivalent to AAA baseball because it is not even close.

-In USL, we will see players that have no chance to play in MLS.

Did you read the article from last week? Can you please post the sentence where they mentioned AAA.

How many USL players end up in MLS? Can anyone name 11 recognizable players currently in the USL?

"The USL is "kind of like Triple-A baseball," of which the El Paso Chihuahuas are a part, for pro soccer, Ledford said."

Doesn't say The USL is not even close to Triple A.

You said it was factually incorrect about Mountain Stars comparison to Triple A. Clearly Ledford and yourself are total idiots, as the USL is not at all like Triple A baseball.

You said it was factually incorrect about Mountain Stars comparison to Triple A. Clearly Ledford and yourself are total idiots, as the USL is not at all like Triple A baseball.

Not what I said at all. I disputed this comment that's it's not even close to AAA.

"Don't believe Mountain Stars spin about how USL is equivalent to AAA baseball because it is not even close."

The USL is right below MLS, so it's equivalent to AAA baseball.

The majority of MLB players play in Triple A and the majority of MLS players don't play in USL. So if that's the equivalent then okay. You win.

Just like being Assistant Manager at Burger King is equivalent to being an Assistant Manager for a baseball team. They're both a step below manager!

Being Assistant coach at UTEP is equivalent to being an Assistant in the NBA!

Just like being Assistant Manager at Burger King is equivalent to being an Assistant Manager for a baseball team. They're both a step below manager!

Being Assistant coach at UTEP is equivalent to being an Assistant in the NBA!

Your need to use your shovel to dig more holes.

MLS was a possibility in El Paso 10 or 15 years ago, when it was cheap to do. Now the franchise fee is out of this world, $150 million or higher. Add to that the cost of building a new stadium and signing an initial roster... think $400 million or more.

I'm pretty much done with this argument. Again, I'm all for MS paying for their own stadium, just not EP chipping in significant funds for it. The USL is no Triple A. MLS and the other leagues aren't even coming here. Same with Amazon. Nobody would choose EP over those other cities. Keep those extremely lofty dreams alive!

Later.

Reactions: Nugget 07
Product, price, place and promotion. The way to get people to show up to the games is to give them value for their $$. I agree that people probably won't show up to old cohen stadium as is to watch some USL team. But if you renovate nicely or create a nice stadium with good food and drink options, children's activities, live music, gift shops, comfortable seating, protection from the elements, convenient parking, pregame activities and adequate marketing along with an attractive brand image, people will want to be a part of the show. If you do it half-assed and cheap (UTEP) you'll fail.

I completely agree with jdubb666. Its all about the price in EP for athletics. Or if it’s the cool thing ( UTEP football is not right now). Remember when women’s basketball sold out the don. Cheap prices and the cool thing to support. My family and I went to most games and usually averaged 3 to 4 hundred. If it’s not the cowboys it just has to be the in thing for the public in EP to support.

I was pointing out that the USL is not equivalent to AAA baseball in terms of the talent out on the field. MLB is the best baseball league in the world. AAA is just below that so the talent level is very high. MLS is rated as the 10th best soccer league in the world. USL talent is like independent baseball. Thats why you can't say the USL is like AAA because it isn't even close. Being a step below MLS isn't saying much. Therefore using taxpayer money to fund a new expensive stadium for a low level league like USL is a waste of money. Its like us building a $30 million dollar state of the art stadium for the Diablos back when they were in independent league.

Wouldn’t it be cool if AMAZON did come here. Maybe they would like to prove how powerful they are and transform a entire geographical area.
Somebody put that in their mindset, they might just have big enough egos to try it.
Oh well time to wake up from my fantasy.

I forsee MGM putting a resort downtown after the massive success of the USL team. It will be like a Vegas getaway in our own backyard.

After MGM success Trump will move the White House her to save on real estate and employee cost.
These will all happen when we get a major league team.

Do you think the major league team will help UTEP get into the Big 12 or Pacific 12 too? After the White house comes here, the SEC might come knocking. Pretty sure Nike and Under Armour will relocate their headquarters here as well. Sky is the limit!

Corona, would you rather the city spend money on a plan to bring a MLS team here or use that money for cops, street improvements, and such?

Corona, would you rather the city spend money on a plan to bring a MLS team here or use that money for cops, street improvements, and such?
Well since El Paso has constantly ranked in the top two cities in America in safety I would say we are doing good in that department so no to that. Since my house is located in the Far East and there is minimal to no street damage I would also say no to that as well.

And since the revenue would come from hotel taxes then it wouldn’t affect my property taxes.

If some rich guys want to buy a team that will compete with major cities such as Phoenix, Salt Lake, Sacramento, San Antonio, Los Angeles and all they ask for is a little incentives from tourists and visitors I don’t see the problem.

Reactions: El Paso 777
So the far East side is the only part of EP that matters? Surely, some other parts of town need cops and street repair.

Yeah, let's keep taxing the hotels, eventually the rates will be too high that conventions will take their business elsewhere.

So the far East side is the only part of EP that matters? Surely, some other parts of town need cops and street repair.

Yeah, let's keep taxing the hotels, eventually the rates will be too high that conventions will take their business elsewhere.
I’m cool with you we just got opposing views on this. I don’t live in EP anymore. I still have my house there and Every month I lose money on the rent. If we can add stuff to the city that makes it more appealing I’m all for it. I hope to one day come home. When I do I want to return to something different. I still support UTEP athletics through season tickets that go unused and I’ll do the same with this team.

I’m not trying to convert you to a soccer fan. Give it a try. It’s no coincidence that we are on a UTEP message board and right now the more active threads involve the building of a soccer stadium. It’s a global sport and the future of American sports.

Reactions: El Paso 777
That's great you have money to waste.

I am a soccer fan and will go to at least 1 game. These threads are active because the story come out during a bye week. Not to mention UTEP is one of the worst teams in FBS and fan interest is at an all-time low.

NFL is king and it will take a lot to overcome that, hardly the future as people have been saying that for decades.

That's great you have money to waste.

I am a soccer fan and will go to at least 1 game. These threads are active because the story come out during a bye week. Not to mention UTEP is one of the worst teams in FBS and fan interest is at an all-time low.

NFL is king and it will take a lot to overcome that, hardly the future as people have been saying that for decades.
I wish I had money to burn. Just got to make sacrifices to keep up. I don’t know why but I have a feeling missing out on the World Cup will result in some major changes. America will be extra hungry for soccer. We have to remember that the MLS is less than 20 years old. The MLB and NFL have over 100 years in operation. Cheers to you. We have to have some drinks when I’m in EP. I’ll go down when there is a big UTEP game happening. Or if you make a road trip to the CUSA tournament in Frisco let me know.

I remember that's what people said when the hotel tax was raised for Southwest University Park. A couple of dollars isn't going to keep people away.

If we had an MLS team and it qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League not even the Sun Bowl would be able to hold the crowds it would draw for the home and away games vs Liga MX teams. Imagine if FC Juárez gets promoted to Primera División and we end up facing off against them. That would be an impressive derby rivalry game. It would be yuuuge!

I'm all for growth in our city, but let's be real here -- Seattle's attendance is 44,000 and is highest in the league. FC Dallas gets around 14,000.

I remember that's what people said when the hotel tax was raised for Southwest University Park. A couple of dollars isn't going to keep people away.

That's true, but we would be giving the same people the same benefit. A few bucks here, few bucks there, add up.

I'm all for growth in our city, but let's be real here -- Seattle's attendance is 44,000 and is highest in the league. FC Dallas gets around 14,000.

Atlanta has the highest attendance this year. Seattle usually leads and has done a great job supporting them. Dallas and Colorado have issues because their stadiums are located in suburbs.

Not sure what this has to do with El Paso though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT