ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Sibley is staying and has potential to be a very good player this season playing in the wing. Onyema is a work in progress.
Good to hear. Onyema could average double doubles just by staying in the game. You wouldn't have to feed him, just get him in the position to rebound. He is a work but he's come a long way and he seems to have the desire. My guess is he takes a giant leap forward next year.

Sibley is staying and has potential to be a very good player this season playing in the wing. Onyema is a work in progress.
I like Sibley as well. It is also a plus that he has already used his one time transfer exception. Supposedly, getting waivers approved after the first D1 transfer are more difficult. So, in theory, we should have him until he graduates. Looks like he is the guy to build the team around 😉

Iowa state lost Big 12 freshman of the year. It even happens to the big boys,

How would he be eligible right away somewhere else if he already transferred? The NCAA really needs to ratchet down the transfer exceptions. It's out of hand. Good Luck kid, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!
He was never on scholarship. He was not going to contribute much this year so it frees up a scholarship that would have potentially been given to him.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
How would he be eligible right away somewhere else if he already transferred? The NCAA really needs to ratchet down the transfer exceptions. It's out of hand. Good Luck kid, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!
He didn’t play here. Who cares where he goes or when he plays next?

There are hundreds if not thousands of players in the portal. Not all of those are moving up. The numbers don't support it. Keep in mind there is also a freshman class coming in. We are bound to have some top notch players fall into our laps. Right?

Reactions: mikesarabia
There are hundreds if not thousands of players in the portal. Not all of those are moving up. The numbers don't support it. Keep in mind there is also a freshman class coming in. We are bound to have some top notch players fall into our laps. Right?
Right! And, if I remember correctly, the deadline for players entering the portal is the end of April, but they'll be eligible to get picked up until the Fall. There is still plenty of time and lots of players out there.
There is no big hurry!

Reactions: jdubb66
Right! And, if I remember correctly, the deadline for players entering the portal is the end of April, but they'll be eligible to get picked up until the Fall. There is still plenty of time and lots of players out there.
There is no big hurry!
I'm not sure if I like that strategy, but we have no choice...

There is no big hurry!
I tend to agree. I know coach wants players in place by summer 1 to start working out. But there will be some good players available late. Do we hold some spots open...lots of ???

Reactions: groundrounds
I'm not sure if I like that strategy, but we have no choice...
Floyd always had top recruiting classes and where did that get us? A lot of them never saw the floor.
Terry had great recruits. Some never saw the floor.
Now we get to try a different flavor. Hopefully this one will be sweeter. Only thing for sure is that it will be different.

Last edited:
Floyd always had top recruiting classes and where did that get us? A lot of them never saw the floor.
Now we get to try a different flavor. Hopefully this one will be sweeter. Only thing for sure is that it will be different.
While I have total respect for Floyd as a person I never, ever want to see his type of recruiting at UTEP ever again. His high-risk-high-reward recruiting embarrassed UTEP on national TV and some of his top recruits had attitude issues.

Terry found out that some programs, even mid majors, have eyes on them 24/7 so you better perform, which include Christmas, literally. "This ain't Fresno" became Terry's calling card when all was said and done. The team fight in the Hawaii holiday tournament was the beginning of the end for Terry as it showed that he really was not a good head coach, but rather, a great recruiter.

Barbee will always be loved by Miner Nation but no one was loving him his first years because he was a literal "scratch" cook who played Coach Cal ball. Miner fans are hating the "transfer portal" world of college athletics but on the flip side they don't have the patience for rebuilds which is what Barbee did.

Golding is the real deal. Won 20 games, but did have some ugly losses early but took the heat for them. However, he literally went on the radio and asked Miner fans to be realistic and fair. He does not like criticism of his players. "It's on me!" is his mantra and stated it often on post game interviews, especially after some embarrassing losses. The good 'ol "The buck stops here!" boilerplate Harry Truman had on his desk during his presidency is the Golding charisma. It's real charisma, not "Kool Aid" flavored. He did with Terry players what Terry couldn't bring out. Players got hurt or got sick so he made the rest stand and deliver. Now that is coaching and leadership.

So why doubt his recruiting? I just don't get what I'm reading on here? This makes for great talking points on ESPN600 but that's it.

Last edited:
The team fight in the Hawaii holiday tournament was the beginning of the end for Terry as it showed that he really was not a good head coach, but rather, a great recruiter.
What was that team fight about? What were they fighting over? Playing time? Girlfriends? Does anybody have the scoop on what happened?

We are trying a different flavor because we don't have a choice. Lessened learned from Floyd and Terry should have been brought forward with this hire, but not at the expense of recruiting. The portal players are finding teams quick. Getting the leftovers is not a good plan in my book.

Now if we as fans have just thrown our hands up and given in to the fate of UTEP basketball then Ok, but I haven't. I have higher expectations despite the difficulties.

We are trying a different flavor because we don't have a choice. Lessened learned from Floyd and Terry should have been brought forward with this hire, but not at the expense of recruiting. The portal players are finding teams quick. Getting the leftovers is not a good plan in my book.

Now if we as fans have just thrown our hands up and given in to the fate of UTEP basketball then Ok, but I haven't. I have higher expectations despite the difficulties.
Has it really been that BAD? Golding may or may not be the guy to get things going again, but I wouldn't say he is settling for leftovers. I'm estimating, but by looking at all the names in the transfer portal, it looks to me like less than 25% have found a new home. Hardly leftovers. So far, his pickups look to be at least CUSA level guys. I guess only time will tell though.

Reactions: Dmanminer
It's interesting the names you come across in the transfer portal. Some could've hads. Some should've hads. Some did haves. Joey St. Pierre is on his 4th team. Seems like forever ago he suited up in a Miner uniform. What's he...like 34 now?
He enrolled during the fall of 2017 while Floyd was still here. After he completes the 22-23 season, it will be 6 years after high school.

Reactions: MinerManiac

Last year, just wait until Golding has an early recruiting cycle. This year, just wait until what Golding picks up in the late recruiting period.

We could of had some really good teams over the past 12-13 years had everybody just stayed the course. I know, easier said than done in retrospect, but it's been downhill since Barbee left and then the Moultry incident.

Let's hope that Golding can truly rebuild our program, but given the current circumstances/landscape/mass exodus my confidence that this can happen is currently at ground zero.

Last edited:
So, he gets one year to get to the Dance, since it didn’t happen he’s gone?
Sorta harsh to me.
That’s the way I took it. His “year” is up. He gets one year?

I think he’s on the clock but anybody who thought he’d turn it all around in a year was setting themselves up for disappointment.

I’d say let year two play out and then fire away if one so desires. Gotta be kinda trigger happy to let the bullets fly already.

I understand most everybody’s frustration right now. It’s hard when we are hearing crickets about signings or commitments, and the school up the highway has a new coach, and they are signing new players left and right. Hopefully, we will hear something after this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT