ADVERTISEMENT

Possible add to CUSA (all sports)--my choice

topminer

All Star
Sep 5, 2003
I understand there is no absolute reason for CUSA to add another team right now--regardless of Western Kentucky's decision to remain or not. With that noted, however, I feel there are programs "waiting in the wings" or should be on call for future/backup plans.

After considerable thought, and after originally leaning toward the Dakotas and/or Missouri State (they are not willing/unable to accept) I now feel Kennesaw State would be the most viable option.

At a glance--

Atlanta suburban market (read: football hotbed)
Over 41,000 students (think UCF a few years back)
Increasing academic standing/research
From their website: By the end of 2019 the Kennesaw Owls tallied a 48-15 total record from the beginning of the (Division 1 FCS) program. That gives the Owls the record of most wins for a football program in its first 5 years.
Geographically friendly--would serve as a vital link between Liberty, Middle Tennessee, Jacksonville State, and FIU (further stablizing the Atlantic and SE) promoting further possibilities of viable SW and SE divisions.

Don't get me wrong I have no bone in this debate--it just seems to be most viable, for now or the future.

I also agree that Tarleton State holds a potential (and keeps up SW/SE friendly (although they not ready yet)...

OK, my 2 cents--now have at it...

If we're trying to get to 10 to split into divisions then that would be my second choice. First choice would be Missouri St.

CUSA has “potential” to be a decent mens basketball league. In football, they will likely be bottom feeders for a long, long time. In my opinion, adding KSU is just another stretch, with no real upside. Look at their basketball records

20-21 5-19
19-20 1-28
18-19 6-26
17-18 10-20
16-17 14-18
15-16 11-20
14-15 10-22
13-14 6-25
12-13 3-27
11-12 3-28

Hard pass for me. There are much better FCS schools to choose from. CUSA should try to be really good at basketball, as they never will be at football.

I understand there is no absolute reason for CUSA to add another team right now--regardless of Western Kentucky's decision to remain or not. With that noted, however, I feel there are programs "waiting in the wings" or should be on call for future/backup plans.

After considerable thought, and after originally leaning toward the Dakotas and/or Missouri State (they are not willing/unable to accept) I now feel Kennesaw State would be the most viable option.

At a glance--

From their website: By the end of 2019 the Kennesaw Owls tallied a 48-15 total record from the beginning of the (Division 1 FCS) program. That gives the Owls the record of most wins for a football program in its first 5 years.
Geographically friendly--would serve as a vital link between Liberty, Middle Tennessee, Jacksonville State, and FIU (further stablizing the Atlantic and SE) promoting further possibilities of viable SW and SE divisions.

Don't get me wrong I have no bone in this debate--it just seems to be most viable, for now or the future.

I also agree that Tarleton State holds a potential (and keeps up SW/SE friendly (although they not ready yet)...

I think and hope W. Kentucky stays. If CUSA adds I would rather a good southern FCS team over UMASS/UCONN Football only, I don't think those teams make sense. So if they decide to add and that's only if, these are my top 5 favorites.
1. Kennesaw St.
2.SFA
3. E. Tennessee St.
4. E. Kentucky
5. SC State.

Reactions: topminer
CUSA has “potential” to be a decent mens basketball league. In football, they will likely be bottom feeders for a long, long time. In my opinion, adding KSU is just another stretch, with no real upside. Look at their basketball records

20-21 5-19
19-20 1-28
18-19 6-26
17-18 10-20
16-17 14-18
15-16 11-20
14-15 10-22
13-14 6-25
12-13 3-27
11-12 3-28

Hard pass for me. There are much better FCS schools to choose from. CUSA should try to be really good at basketball, as they never will be at football.
Who are all those much better FCS schools to choose from?

Who are all those much better FCS schools to choose from?
Assuming they’re all interested and so is CUSA - Missouri St, SIU, EKU, Murray St, Illinois St. Any WAC school. NDSU too, but I think they’re more far fetched than the ones I listed.

3. E. Tennessee St.
Solid basketball addition. Former ETSU's, now Wake Forest coach, Steve Forbes was UTEP's top pick over Terry and he actually took the offer. ETSU boosters opened up their check book and offered more.

Reactions: nattybry
CUSA should ask Memphis to comeback. New CUSA is better Basketball conference and tell them if BIX 12 comes calling they dont have to pay an exit fee.

CUSA should ask Memphis to comeback. New CUSA is better Basketball conference and tell them if BIX 12 comes calling they dont have to pay an exit fee.
Memphis, for the time being, is still getting $7 million a year from their TV contract as part of the AAC. (The new schools don't get $7 million, but the original schools do.)

There is absolutely nothing that CUSA can offer them to jump.

Memphis, for the time being, is still getting $7 million a year from their TV contract as part of the AAC. (The new schools don't get $7 million, but the original schools do.)

Why do you even entertain those comments? As the old saying goes, they'll drag you down to their level...

But people saying new tv contract will drop.

At a glance--

KSU has one thing going for them. They are the owls and we are losing 2 owl schools.

Their stadium only seats 8k plus. They would have to double the seating capacity.

But people saying new tv contract will drop.
Not their current contract. When the AAC negotiates their new contract, then sure. But until then, Memphis will continue getting $7 million per year with their current contract.

Missouri St is my #1 choice. If they're not interested then let's stay put at 9. No need to dilute our conference simply to add members.
We’re not sure that WKU is staying, since they haven’t released anything saying they were. If they do stay, then I would like CUSA to add UTA or UALR. Would put the conference basketball games to 18, 20 if you add both. Since UTEP and NMSU are losing 2 “good” non-con games each, need to get as many solid opponents as possible.

We’re not sure that WKU is staying, since they haven’t released anything saying they were. If they do stay, then I would like CUSA to add UTA or UALR. Would put the conference basketball games to 18, 20 if you add both. Since UTEP and NMSU are losing 2 “good” non-con games each, need to get as many solid opponents as possible.
Unless they're going Independent they really have no choice. Most reports said MAC wanted MTSU and WKU as a package deal.

I don't know about those two schools. Ever since they've lost their coaches they're really not that good. LR hasn't been the same since Beard. UTA hasn't been the same since Cross. They just lost Ogden to Texas.

If W. Kentucky stays, which it looks like they have no choice, then either leave as is or add on more FCS with potential like some of the ones we mentioned. Stay at 9 or 10 for now, til the next shake up no need to go to 12 at the moment.

Last edited:
Of W. Kentucky stays, which it looks like they have no choice, then either leave as is or add on more FCS with potential like some of the ones we mentioned. Stay at 9 or 10 for now, til the next shake up no need to go to 12 at the moment.
I would argue the opposite, try to get a full 12 just in case CUSA gets poached and we end up in the same situation. I would feel more comfortable with the 9 we have so far, maybe one football only member, then two more full members.

Unless they're going Independent they really have no choice. Most reports said MAC wanted MTSU and WKU as a package deal.

I don't know about those two schools. Ever since they've lost their coaches they're really not that good. LR hasn't been the same since Beard. UTA hasn't been the same since Cross. They just lost Ogden to Texas.
Maybe the MAC takes another run at UMass. I’m not going to argue that it’s likely WKU leaves, still possible.

UTA isn’t really good, or ever, but they’re better than Jax St and Kennesaw. UALR won the SBC two seasons ago.

Maybe the MAC takes another run at UMass. I’m not going to argue that it’s likely WKU leaves, still possible.

UTA isn’t really good, or ever, but they’re better than Jax St and Kennesaw. UALR won the SBC two seasons ago.
Jacksonville St. currently ranked higher than UTEP in Basketball in Ken Pom. We'll see how they do this year, don't know much about their history.

I could understand a reasonable suggestion but that's plain trolling, or if he believes it, then that's kind of sad.

It's not a stupid idea. If the New CUSA adds better Basketball schools then they should pursue Memphis . Who in the AAC is good at Basketball?? Houston and UCF is leaving. Only one left is SMU. The new schools they added makes them a bad Basketball conferences, probably a 1 bid league. I wouldn't be shocked if Memphis pulls a UCONN. Memphis probably goes in Indy in football and joins the A10 or Big East in Basketball.

Reactions: groundrounds
It's not a stupid idea. If the New CUSA adds better Basketball schools then they should pursue Memphis . Who in the AAC is good at Basketball?? Houston and UCF is leaving. Only one left is SMU. The new schools they added makes them a bad Basketball conferences, probably a 1 bid league. I wouldn't be shocked if Memphis pulls a UCONN. Memphis probably goes in Indy in football and joins the A10 or Big East in Basketball.
Who did we add that's good? We added two 100 teams, Liberty (96) NMSU (110) while losing arguably our best Basketball team, UAB (71). All the teams we added have combined for one recent NCAA tournament win. We didn’t exactly add any Gonzaga caliber teams.

It's not a stupid idea. If the New CUSA adds better Basketball schools then they should pursue Memphis . Who in the AAC is good at Basketball?? Houston and UCF is leaving. Only one left is SMU.
They're adding UAB, who's pretty good. They have Temple, who has historically been pretty good and still are. Tulsa's been pretty good, too.

Who did we add that's good? We added two 100 teams, Liberty (96) NMSU (110) while losing arguably our best Basketball team, UAB (71). All the teams we added have combined for one recent NCAA tournament win. We didn’t exactly add any Gonzaga caliber teams.
True, but CUSA is getting smaller and a lot of the fat is getting trimmed off. It's not really a lot better, but I dont necessarily think it's getting worse.

The loss of UAB stings, but they also haven't gone dancing in over 6 years and the core of their success really stems from the 80's and 90's (sound familiar?).

They also surprisingly have only won a single CUSA tournament, and found their success with at-large bids when CUSA had much better up and down quality.

Imo we lost more good teams than bad ones. Since the start of CUSA 3.0 we will lose 4 of the 5 teams that represented CUSA in the NCAAT. We get to keep MTSU but they've been awful since they lost Kermit. The worst current teams we will lose are Charlotte and UTSA. Both of those teams can turn out to be pretty good. Charlotte has the history and once UTSA builds their new basketball arena there's no telling how high their ceiling is.

I think CUSA 4.0 will be ok but it is in no position to lure Memphis away from the AAC or even to be a consistent multiple bid league.

Reactions: Riburn3
I think CUSA 4.0 will be ok but it is in no position to lure Memphis away from the AAC or even to be a consistent multiple bid league.

Yeah no way. Pipe dream.

Edit: The Memphis part is a pipe dream. There are pieces in place for it to be a 2 bid league but so much depends on OOC play.

Last edited:
I don’t think we lost much on the basketball side. We lost much more in terms of perception and stability. Whether it’s CUSA 3.0 or 4.0, we’re not getting 2 bids unless we perform outside of conference. That includes beating power teams and not losing to the UCRiversides and FAMU’s of the world.

CUSA doesn’t get multiple bids because we don’t beat enough good teams. And when they do, they follow it up with a crappy loss or too many during conference play.

CUSA doesn’t get multiple bids because we don’t beat enough good teams. And when they do, they follow it up with a crappy loss or too many during conference play.
And yet, they more often than not win the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

I do think the top four of CUSA are quite strong but the bottom four are so bad that they drag everybody's rankings down.

Is the AAC taking our dead weight in pursuit of mythical TV markets? Perhaps; time will tell. The sad part is that UTEP has become some of the dead weight more often than not.

And yet, they more often than not win the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

I do think the top four of CUSA are quite strong but the bottom four are so bad that they drag everybody's rankings down.

Is the AAC taking our dead weight in pursuit of mythical TV markets? Perhaps; time will tell. The sad part is that UTEP has become some of the dead weight more often than not.
That doesn’t mean the league needs 2 bids. Oral Roberts made the Sweet 16 last year, while the MWC, CUSA, and A10 did not make the Sweet 16. Does that mean the Summit League is better than those 3? No, of course not.

Which CUSA team should have been in the tournament last year?

That doesn’t mean the league needs 2 bids. Oral Roberts made the Sweet 16 last year, while the MWC, CUSA, and A10 did not make the Sweet 16. Does that mean the Summit League is better than those 3? No, of course not.

Which CUSA team should have been in the tournament last year?
I thought that Western Kentucky with their neutral court victory over Memphis and their road victory over SEC-champion Alabama was more deserving of an invitation than the 7th, 8th, and 9th Big Ten teams that apparently had to be added.

Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT