ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

I know we are against retreads at this point: But do anyone on this board believe that Gillispie will throw his hat into the ring for the head coaching job? Just forewarning I don’t want him back.

Phil Johnson.
giphy.gif

I hope I don’t get slammed to hard but here it goes anyway. Greg Foster = Sean Kugler.

We need a guy with solid college basketball ties not a hometown favorite. We’ve been down that road. I love Greg Foster, one of my favorite players ever but the facts are he hadn’t even coached until Floyd came in and gave him a shot. At first he was still finishing his UTEP degree, which I want to say he finally did kudos to him. That said he left after 2-3 years and went to the nba again via Floyd connections.

How can we want someone with 2-3 college basketball experience? Hardly proven he can recruit and build a program. It’s time to not think with our hearts and then go think with our heads....Greg Foster is not a good hire. Furthermore, the good ol boy system that allowed guys like Foster to even have a chance is done. It’s funny how you guys all want Stull gone but the second he leaves you want in essence what would be a typical Stull move in giving a former player a chance. Senter isn’t going to give Foster not one second thought.....mainly because much like Kugler, Foster isn’t even remotely qualified to lead a D1 basketball program.

I like Greg Foster a ton as well, but he simply isn't qualified to run the show in my opinion. It can be argued that he is less qualified than Kugler was prior to his hire. Thing is, we had a guy in Floyd who was as qualified a coach as UTEP has ever had, and that turned out to be a huge failure. So success definitely isn't guaranteed based on the resume alone. To me, perhaps the most telling quote from yesterday was from Natalicio. I think we should expect the same results with that type of mentality. Hopefully, Senter can really work to change that around; it won't be easy.

Greg Foster would be a good hire. He is a hard worker, he can relate to the players. I think he would need great assistants. I also think Foster could be brought in now, like Gillispie was brought in late.

I do wonder if Barbee would be interested. What about Reggie Theus?

I hope I don’t get slammed to hard but here it goes anyway. Greg Foster = Sean Kugler.

We need a guy with solid college basketball ties not a hometown favorite. We’ve been down that road. I love Greg Foster, one of my favorite players ever but the facts are he hadn’t even coached until Floyd came in and gave him a shot. At first he was still finishing his UTEP degree, which I want to say he finally did kudos to him. That said he left after 2-3 years and went to the nba again via Floyd connections.

How can we want someone with 2-3 college basketball experience? Hardly proven he can recruit and build a program. It’s time to not think with our hearts and then go think with our heads....Greg Foster is not a good hire. Furthermore, the good ol boy system that allowed guys like Foster to even have a chance is done. It’s funny how you guys all want Stull gone but the second he leaves you want in essence what would be a typical Stull move in giving a former player a chance. Senter isn’t going to give Foster not one second thought.....mainly because much like Kugler, Foster isn’t even remotely qualified to lead a D1 basketball program.

Fair enough. I still think he'll get a look/interview. Honestly, I'd like Senter to take his time on this. I've got some ideas of who I'd like to at least get a look, but I'm not jumping onto anyone's bandwagon just yet.

I like Greg Foster a ton as well, but he simply isn't qualified to run the show in my opinion. It can be argued that he is less qualified than Kugler was prior to his hire. Thing is, we had a guy in Floyd who was as qualified a coach as UTEP has ever had, and that turned out to be a huge failure. So success definitely isn't guaranteed based on the resume alone. To me, perhaps the most telling quote from yesterday was from Natalicio. I think we should expect the same results with that type of mentality. Hopefully, Senter can really work to change that around; it won't be easy.
I'm hoping a Rick Majerus/Billy Clyde type coach. The ones who recruit non-stop. The ones who are not bothered by sleeping at a Motel 6 on Christmas Eve by themselves if need be just to get a chance to see that under the radar recruit at the local holiday tourney.

Wishful thinking

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think Cantu is a good choice. He is a great recruiter.
You can't judge him on what happened here with Coach Floyd.
Coach Floyd was dictating so you can't tell what is Cantu's style
of playing. Give him a chance.

GO Miners...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT